Apple’s smartwatch comes in two sizes for an increased chance of it fitting on your wrist. However, when it comes to the screen’s readability, there aren’t any differences between the 40mm and 44mm variants that are currently available. Therefore, if you want to increase the text size on your Apple Watch, you need to turn to its software customization.
At the moment (if your smartwatch and your smartphone run the latest software version), you have two methods to increase the text size on your Apple Watch. We cover both of those methods, which are equally quick and straightforward, below.
Increase the Text Size on an Apple Watch Using an iPhone
The Watch app on your iPhone manages pretty much every single aspect of your smartwatch. Therefore, it doesn’t come as a surprise that you can use it to adjust the text size as well. Here’s how that is done.
1. Open the Watch app on your smartphone. Make sure to select the “My Watch” tab and ensure that the correct Apple Watch is set. (You should see your watch’s name at the top).
2. Then, scroll down until you see the “Display & Brightness” group of settings. Tap to enter this group of settings.
3. At this moment, you should see a couple of sliders. Pay attention to the one next to “Text Size.” This is where you can increase or decrease the text size on your Apple Watch with six levels available. By default, the text size on your Apple Watch will be on the fourth level, which gives you space to make things bigger. Adjust the slider as you see fit.
4. Just below the “Text Size” slider, you will see the option to make the text on your Apple Watch bold. We have to note that enabling this slider has a dramatic effect, making it very useful if you’re having a hard time navigating your smartwatch.
That’s it! There’s no need to save or apply any of your changes, as the Watch app will do that for you. Exit the Watch app on your iPhone, and you should see your changes reflected on your Apple Watch.
Increase the Text Size via the Watch Itself
Aside from doing so using your iPhone, you can make the changes directly on your Apple Watch. Go through the following steps.
1. Press the “Digital Crown” on your Apple Watch to access its main menu. You should see an array of icons leading to individual apps. Tap on “Settings.”
2. Use your finger or the Digital Crown to scroll down until you see “Display & Brightness.” Tap on this group of customizations to reveal what hides behind.
3. Scroll just a bit down and tap on “Text Size.” You will see a green bar that allows you to choose from six different levels of text size.
4. Feel free to use the “Digital Crown” or the “Aa” virtual buttons to change your Apple Watch’s text size. Once you’re happy with your selection, tap on the arrow button in the top-left corner to go back one step in the Settings app.
5. We also recommend checking whether making the text bolder could make a difference. (It usually does.) You can find this option just below the “Text Size” button. It comes as a simple ON/OFF switch, and you can preview the results immediately.
That’s it! You are now free to exit the Settings app (done by pressing the Digital Crown) and return to your main watch face. Feel free to take a look around your Apple Watch and see whether you need to readjust its text size a bit more.
Now that you’ve learned how to increase the text size on your Apple Watch, if you’d like to learn a couple more things, here are you some recommendations. First, check out our beginner’s guide to navigating your Apple Watch. Then, follow it with how to change your move, exercise, and stand goals on your smartwatch.