If you’re like us, you’re probably using Google’s incredibly useful search function at least a couple times a day, so you know the tech giant’s search page looks pretty basic – one area where Bing fares better than Google. The good news, however, is that you can easily change the Google background without breaking a sweat. In this article we show you how you can do that on your desktop as well as on your mobile device.
How to Change the Background on Google in Chrome
Before starting this tutorial, take into account that you need to use Chrome on your PC if you want to customize Google’s home screen background. Make sure you also log in with your Google account once you’ve opened the browser. Now all you need to do is the following:
1. Open a new tab in your browser.
2. In the lower-right corner, you should see a Customize button.
3. Click on it to select from Google’s own image gallery.
4. Once you’ve decided which image you want to use, click on it and select Done.
5. The effect should be visible immediately.
Change the Google Background in Chrome Using an Image
Alternatively, you can use your own library of images to customize the background.
1. Click on the Customize button again.
2. Select the Background option.
3. Click on the “Upload from the Device” option to customize your background.
4. Check out the results.
5. From the same menu, you can try applying a theme. There are a few available options, but Google offers even more in case you’re not satisfied with this crop.
To find additional themes, follow the steps outlined below on your PC.
How to Change Themes in Chrome for Desktop
1. In Chrome, tap on the three-dot menu located in the upper-right corner of the display.
2. Go to Settings.
3. On the left part of your display, click Appearance.
4. Select Theme.
5. You’ll be taken to the Chrome Web Store where you have many options to choose from. A new theme will have the effect of changing the appearance of other elements in your browser including the tabs.
6. Pick your favorite, then click the “Add to Chrome” button.
7. The changes should take effect immediately without you having to restart the browser.
Should you ever want to revert to the standard look, simply go back to “Settings -> Appearance -> Themes” and click on the “Reset to Default” button to have things go back to normal.
How to Customize the Background in the Google App on Android
Things are a bit trickier if you want to apply a fresh coat of paint on Google’s home page on mobile. Unfortunately, you can’t do so using the full-fledged Google app. However, if you’re willing to switch to Google’s alternate app, which was designed for low-end smartphones but works perfectly well on any device, then you will be able to customize your background.
1. Install and open Google Go on your Android smartphone.
2. Locate and tap on the gear icon that sits in the upper-right corner of the display.
3. Click the “Choose wallpaper” option at the top of the screen.
4. Select the picture you want to set as the background from your image library.
5. Press “Set wallpaper.”
6. The new image should replace the standard white background that greets you whenever you open the Google Go app.
If you wish to revert back to the white background, tap again on the gear icon in the Google Go app, then select “Remove wallpaper.”
Chrome does not offer the same options for Google background customization on mobile. You can switch to dark mode, but apart from that, you can’t set different themes or change the background image.
How to Change the Background in Google’s Home Screen Widget on iOS
Unfortunately, if you are an iOS user, you can’t really modify your Google background in Chrome or the Google app. What you can do, however, is change the background in Google’s home screen widget by following the below instructions. Note that you can do the same on iPadOS as well.
1. Open the Google app on your iOS device.
2. Tap on your Profile picture in the top-right corner.
3. Select Settings.
4. Go to General.
5. Tap on Widgets.
6. Browse and select the Widget background you prefer.
7. Go back to your iPhone’s home screen and do a long tap.
8. A list of available widgets should pop up. Select the one for Google search, then tap on the “Add widget” button.
9. The widget with the background you’ve previously selected will be added to the screen. You may move it to your desired screen and/or position on the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I still customize the Google background if I don’t use Chrome?
Unfortunately no. If you want to change your Google background, you’ll have to use Chrome on desktop or the Google Go app on Android.
2. Can I change the background in Google search?
Currently, there’s no native setting in Chrome or the Google app which allows you to do that. However, you can try installing a theme on your PC, like the Dusk theme, which turns the background darker.
3. Is there any way to change the background of my Google app?
You can try changing your phone’s theme to dark or light, depending what you have enabled right now. This will have the effect of changing your Google app’s background.
If you’re interested in expanding your Chrome knowledge, perhaps you’ll also be interested in learning how to block websites when using the browser.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox