If you’re like us, you’re probably using Google’s incredibly useful search function at least a couple times a day, so you know that the tech giant’s search page looks pretty basic. The good news, however, is that you can easily change the Google background without breaking a sweat.
In this article we show you how you can do that on your desktop as well as on your Android device.
How to Change the Background on Google in Chrome
Before starting this tutorial, take into account that you need to use Chrome on your PC if you want to customize Google’s home screen background. Make sure you also log in with your Google account once you’ve opened the browser. Now all you need to do is the following:
1. Open a new tab in your browser.
2. In the lower-right corner, you should see a Customize button.
3. Click on it to select from Google’s own image gallery.
4. Once you’ve decided which image you want to use, click on it and select Done.
5. The effect should be visible immediately.
Alternatively, you can use your own image or GIF by clicking on the “Upload from Device” option and setting up a customized background. From the same menu, you can try applying a theme. There are a few options available here, but Google offers even more in case you’re not satisfied with this crop. To find these themes, follow the steps below on your PC.
1. In Chrome, tap on the three-dot menu located in the upper-right corner of the display.
2. Go to Settings.
3. On the left part of your display, click on Appearance.
4. Select Theme.
5. You’ll be taken to the Chrome Web Store where you have a lot of options to choose from. A new theme will have the effect of changing the appearance of other elements in your browser including the tabs.
6. Pick your favorite and then click on the “Add to Chrome” button.
7. The changes should take effect immediately without you having to restart the browser.
Should you ever want to revert to the standard look, simply go back to “Settings -> Appearance -> Themes,” and click on the “Reset to Default” button to have things go back to normal.
How to Customize the Background in the Google App on Android
Things are a bit trickier if you want to apply a fresh coat of paint on Google’s home page on mobile. Unfortunately, you can’t do so using the fully-fledged Google app. However, if you’re willing to switch to Google’s alternate app, which was designed for low-end smartphone but works perfectly well on any device, then you will be able to customize your background.
1. Install and open Google Go on your Android smartphone.
2. Locate and tap on the gear icon that sits in the upper-right corner of the display.
3. Click the “Choose wallpaper” option at the top of the screen.
4. Select the picture you want to set as the background from your image library.
5. Press Set wallpaper.
6. The new image should replace the standard white background that greets you whenever you open the Google Go app.
If you wish to revert back to the white background, tap again on the gear icon in the Google Go app, then select “Remove wallpaper.”
Chrome does not offer the same options for Google background customization on mobile. You can switch to dark mode, but apart from that you can’t set different themes or change the background image.