Zoom has been a life preserver for many businesses in recent months. The video conferencing app has been adopted by people all over the world, including schools, businesses and regular folks just looking to connect with friends and family. However, the free version of Zoom is fairly limited, forcing many people to sign up for Zoom’s premium service. Like many subscription-.based services, the premium version of Zoom requires users to opt out manually. Failure to do so will cause your credit card to be charged in perpetuity. Thankfully, cancelling your Zoom account is easy but somewhat hidden.
Types of Zoom Subscriptions
There are two versions of the Zoom video conferencing app: one free, the other paid. The free or “Basic” version of Zoom limits group meetings to 40 minutes, although one-on-one meetings are unlimited. Furthermore, it caps the number of participants to 100 people. Additionally, there is no ability to record your meetings. The paid or “Pro” version of Zoom offers multiple tiers, but the main difference is that by opening your wallet, many of the restrictions imposed on free users are lifted. As we mentioned above, the premium versions of Zoom require a monthly fee. However, like many subscriptions, the subscription amount is charged automatically at the start of each new billing cycle.
How to Cancel Your Zoom Subscription
Cancelling your Zoom subscription is fairly easy; however, there are a number of steps involved.
1. To get started, launch Zoom on your PC.
2. When the Zoom window appears, click on your profile picture in the top-right corner. If you do not have a profile picture set up, then it will just be a colored square with your initials in it. This will produce a drop-down menu with a variety of options.
3. Click on the one labelled “Settings.” Alternatively, you can click on the cog icon directly beneath your profile picture. This will open the Zoom settings window.
4. From the options on the left side of the window, click on “Profile.”
5. Next, click on the button labelled “Change my subscription.”
This will launch your web browser and automatically navigate to the Zoom website. Here, you will be prompted to enter your Zoom username and password.
6. Upon logging in, you should be automatically brought to the Billing section of your Zoom profile. On this page you will see the Zoom plans you are currently subscribed to. Each plan will display information, such as the billing period, next invoice date, invoice amount and the status of the plan.
7. On the far right, there is a link labelled “Cancel Subscription.” Go ahead and click on that link. Doing so will launch a pop-up box that provides the ability to reconsider. If you’re sure you want to cancel your Zoom subscription, click on the button labelled “Cancel Subscription.”
How to Download Recorded Zoom Meetings
When you cancel your premium Zoom subscription, you will still be able to use the free version of the app. Unfortunately, by canceling your subscription, you’ll lose access to the premium features we mentioned earlier, including the ability to record your meetings.
With a premium subscription, recorded meetings are stored on Zoom’s servers and are available for you to download or share at any time. Upon cancelling your premium account, those recordings will be removed from the Zoom servers. If you want to download any recorded meetings, you’ll want to do so before you cancel your subscription.
To download your recorded meetings, follow the steps outlined above to access your profile’s settings. On the left side of the screen, locate the option labelled “Recordings” and click on it. On the following page you will see all of the recordings that you have made. Underneath the thumbnail preview of each recording you will see the option to download that recording. Simply click on it to download the recording to your computer.
How to Download Your Zoom Invoices
If you were using Zoom for business purposes, your Zoom subscription may be tax deductible. Fortunately, it’s very easy to download your past Zoom invoices in case you are audited and need to provide documentation.
To download your past invoices, follow the steps outlined above to log in to your account on the Zoom website.
On the left side of the screen, click on “Account Management -> Billing.” Next, at the top of the page, click on “Invoice History.” This will show a list of your invoices. To download all of your invoices as PDFs, simply click on the “Export All” button. Alternatively, if you only want to download specific invoices, click on the checkbox next to the invoice you want to download and click the “Export Selected” button.
How to Reactivate Your Zoom Subscription
If you need to reactivate a cancelled Zoom subscription, you can do so by following the steps outlined above to log in to your Zoom account. On the left side of the screen, click on “Account Management -> Billing..” At the top of the page, click on “Current Plans.” Here, you will see the details of your cancelled account. To reactivate it, simply click on “Reactivate Plan” and follow the instructions.
Image credit: Work From Home Video Conference Webinar Call by DepositPhotos