A well-crafted signature adds a personal touch to your emails. They will look much more professional with an appropriate email signature, especially in a business setting. It’s very easy to add the signature of your choice in Outlook and modify it according to your needs. Here is how you can add a signature in Outlook for Windows, Mac, mobile, and the web client.
How to Add a Signature in the Outlook Web App
1. After logging in to the Outlook web app, you can see a tiny Settings icon at the top. Access its signature section from “Settings -> Mail -> Compose & Reply.”
Alternatively, you can search Outlook settings with the keyword “Signature,” and the reach this section.
2. When the rich text editor opens, add your signature text at the cursor, then save it.
3. You can choose whether or not you want to add signatures automatically to new compose messages, forwards, or replies.
4. You may add images, quotes, highlights, and bulleted lists in the rich text editor.
5. Click “add more formatting options” to further add tables, strikethrough, superscripts, and right-to-left languages.
How to Add a Signature in Outlook for Windows
The Outlook Windows client is more advanced than the Outlook web app, as you can create multiple signatures and work with signature templates. Make sure you keep the device updated to have access to the latest version of Outlook.
1. Open the Outlook app. To access signatures from the menu, go to “File,” which will bring you to the next screen. Under the “Info” section, click “Options” at the bottom.
2. In the “Outlook Options” window, go to the Mail tab on the left. Click “Signatures” in the “Compose messages” subheading.
3. In the new window, click “New” and add your signature text at the cursor.
4. You can use the HTML text editor to add images, quotes, and other details.
5. If you have business cards, you can add them from the “Personal Stationery” tab.
6. You can choose whether or not these signatures should be automatically added to new email, replies, and forwards.
7. Click “OK” to save all your signature settings.
How to Add a Signature in Outlook for Mac
Outlook’s desktop client for Mac works similarly to Outlook Windows. While some options aren’t supported on Mac (for example: Signature templates), you can easily add and change as many signatures as you’d like.
1. Open Outlook and from the “Outlook” menu at the top, select “Preferences.” This will open a separate “Outlook Preferences” window.
2. Once the “Outlook Preferences” window opens, double-click “Signatures” in the “Email” section. This will open a new text editor where you can create your signature.
3. In the rich text editor, add your signature text at the cursor. Give it a name (or keep it blank) and save it.
4. You can also add photos, logos, business cards, hyperlinks, and tables.
Add a Signature in Outlook Mobile
1. Once the app is launched, click on the Outlook icon in the top left.
2. Select the “Settings” menu option and choose “Signature.”
3. Add your signature text at the cursor and save it.
How to Use Your Email Signature in Outlook
Now that you know how to add signatures to Outlook on various devices, let’s see how to use them.
Outlook Web App
1. To use an email signature in the Outlook web app, check the option “Automatically include my signature on new messages that I compose/reply to.”
2. If you did not set the automatic option earlier, you can still add the signature manually. Go to the three-dot icon in the “Compose” window and click “Insert signature.”
Only one signature is saved by default in the Outlook web app. If you add a new signature, the old one will be deleted.
1. Go to the Compose window to write an email.
2. Insert the visible email signature that was added earlier.
3. Alternatively, if you had enabled the option to add a signature automatically, it will be shown in the Window.
1. In Mac’s “Message” tab in the Compose window, click the menu for “Signature” in the upper-right corner.
2. From the drop-down list of created signatures, select the one you want added to the message. If you saved only one signature, that will be your default signature.
1. Once you add a saved signature in the Outlook mobile apps for Android/iOS, it will be automatically inserted within the body copy. It will only be in plain text format, however.
2. If you don’t want the automatically-added signature, simply delete the text.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the signature file of Outlook located in Windows?
On Windows devices, all signature files for Outlook are saved at this folder location: “C\Windows\%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures.”
2. How do I use Outlook signature templates, and how do I import a signature template file?
1. To use the Outlook signature templates, you need the Outlook Windows client, as that’s the only place where this option is available. Many of the latest Outlook signature templates can be downloaded from the official link.
2. To import a signature template in Outlook, copy the desired downloaded signature template files and paste them into the “Signatures” folder above.
3. Go to “Outlook Options -> Signatures and Stationery -> Edit Signature” to work with those imported templates.
3. How do I sync my Outlook signature across all my devices?
The Outlook signature gets synced as a default on all devices. However, not all options can be retrieved on all devices. For example, you can’t sync email signature settings with rich features such as image files or the video options in Outlook Windows with Outlook for iOS or Android.
Read on to learn how to log in to past Hotmail accounts and use them with Outlook. If you’re looking for a list of Outlook alternatives, we have them covered. Also learn about plans to develop a universal Outlook app.