Instagram is constantly adding new features in order to keep its app exciting and safe for users everywhere. Most recently, the photo-sharing app made it possible for people to choose whether to hide Like counts on their own posts as well as other accounts.
Instagram has implemented the feature, as concerns are on the rise over social media platforms contributing to low self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy in the younger population.
If you’re interested in “removing the pressure” yourself, this article shows you how you can hide Likes using one of three easy methods.
How to Hide Like Counts for Instagram Accounts
To keep users from constantly comparing their posts to others that receive thousands of Likes, Instagram now lets users hide Like counts for other accounts. You can only turn on the feature through the mobile Instagram app.
1. Open Instagram on your mobile device.
2. Tap on the tiny Profile picture in the lower right of the display.
3. Tap on the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner.
4. Select Settings at the bottom.
5. In the Settings menu, tap on Privacy.
6. Go to Posts.
7. Toggle on the first option that appears on the list: “Hide Like and View Counts.”
8. With this option enabled, you won’t see the total number of Likes or Views (in the case of videos) when browsing a profile.
Now you can enjoy some piece of mind and actually focus on connecting with people on the social app instead of simply thinking in terms of Likes. When you’re ready to view Like counts again, simply retrace the steps above and turn off the “Hide Like and View Counts.”
How to Hide Likes on Your Own Posts
Ready to take things one step further? Instagram also lets you hide Likes to your own posts. This can be done on a per-post basis, so you can choose to leave Likes activated for select posts. Users will still be able to view the number of Likes their posts receive, but it will be a private affair.
You can hide Likes for images you’ve already posted by following these steps:
1. Find a post and tap the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner of the post.
2. Select the “Hide Like Count” option in the pop-up menu that appears at the bottom.
3. The Like count is now invisible to others. You, on the other hand, can still see the Likes.
4. Now go back to the post and tap on the “Others” button to view your Likes.
5. As you can see, they are now only visible to you.
If you’re about to make a new post and already know that you don’t want Likes showing up on your profile, you can prevent this from happening.
1. When you’re in the caption writing panel for your new post, tap on “Advanced Settings” at the bottom of the page.
2. Toggle on the “Hide Like and View Counts on this Post” to make the Likes you receive private.
Instagram started rolling out this feature as part of an extended test last month. If you’re not yet seeing these options in your Instagram, try searching for them on another account or have some patience. The feature may become available to you soon enough.
Instagram can be super fun if used the right way, but what happens when the app malfunctions and stops working? Find out how to fix it by reading our comprehensive list of solutions. Alternatively, you may want to get up to speed regarding how to use Instagram Reels with Remix.