Your iPhone can be a vault of highly sensitive data. With that said, your photos and videos may not be for everyone, and you may want to keep them hidden. Luckily for us, this option is already available in iOS (and iPadOS). Here is how you can hide photos and videos in iOS.
1. Hide Photos and Videos via the Photos App
The first option is to use the Photos app to hide individual photos and videos. This is a very quick method and allows you to easily hide, unhide, and view hidden items. However, it’s not the most secure, as anyone with access to your iPhone can still see those photos and videos (after a bit of tinkering). Nonetheless, it will meet the needs of many. You can hide any number of photos and videos within the Photos app using the “Share Sheet.”
1. Launch the Photos app, then select any photos or videos you want to hide. You can do this by tapping on”‘Select” (in the top-right corner), then tapping on any number of items.
2. Click on the “Share” button in the bottom-left corner, which opens up the “Share Sheet.” Scroll down and select “Hide.”
3. At this moment, you will need to confirm your decision, so tap on “Hide.” That’s it. The selected photos and/or videos will now be in your “Hidden” album.
Use the Photos App to View and Unhide Photos
Now that you know how to hide photos, let’s see how to view and unhide photos and videos.
1. Once again, open the Photos app. Tap on the Albums tab. On an iPad, make sure the sidebar isn’t hidden. (If it’s hidden, click on the “Sidebar” icon in the top-left corner.)
2. Scroll down until you see a series of albums in the Utilities section. You will see an album labeled “Hidden,” so go ahead and tap on that album.
3. This is where you’ll see all your hidden photos and videos (just like when using any regular album). To unhide items, go ahead and select them once again. Then, tap on the “Share” icon (in the bottom-left corner) and select “Unhide.”
Extra Tip – Here’s How to Hide the “Hidden” Album
As you may notice, anyone can still see your hidden photos and videos if they know your hidden album’s location. However, you can make that album disappear so that it can’t be accessed via the Photos app.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone. Scroll down and tap on “Photos.”
2. Once again, scroll down and tap on the switch next to “Hidden Album” to disable this feature. Don’t worry – your photos and videos won’t be deleted, and you can make the “Hidden” album reappear in the Photos app at any moment.
2: Hide Photos and Videos via the Notes App
If you’re looking for a more secure way to hide photos and videos on iOS, you can use the Notes app for that purpose.
1. Open the Photos app and select any number of photos and videos. Then, tap on the “Share” icon in the bottom-left corner. You’ll see the Share Sheet where you need to tap on “Notes.”
2. A new panel will appear, asking you to pick a location for your note. You can also add some text (like a description) if needed. Once done, go ahead and click on “Save” in the top-right corner.
3. Open the Notes app and find your newly created note. Open it, then tap on the three-dots icon in the top-right corner. This will reveal a menu at the bottom of the screen. Tap on Lock.
4. Finally, create a password, verify it, and add a hint as well. Alternatively, if you have set-up Face ID on your device, you can add this layer of security to your locked note. Keep in mind to store this password somewhere safe, as there’s no way to restore it. If you forget this password, your locked note will remain inaccessible. (You will only get to delete it, and that’s it).
Hopefully, you now know how to hide photos and videos in iOS. If you wish to keep exploring other tips related to handling mobile photos, we have a few recommendations. Check out how to edit pictures using the Photos App and the best photo-editing apps for your iPhone.