Ever since Apple bought Beats Audio, there were rumors that the Cupertino based company would roll out a music listening service like Spotify. The day has finally come. Apple has launched its own music service called Apple Music that comes embedded with its latest iOS version and the iTunes app.
While many users will just dive into this new service by Apple, others will take some time to see if this is what they would like to use for their music needs. If you are one of those users who are not yet ready to adopt Apple Music, you have a way to disable it in the iTunes app on your Mac.
Disabling the feature will let you use the iTunes app as you were using it before, as if Apple Music doesn’t exist at all. Here’s how you can disable the feature in the iTunes app on your Mac:
Hiding Apple Music in iTunes on a Mac
1. Click on Launchpad in your dock, search for and click on iTunes, and it will launch for you.
2. When the app launches, click on “iTunes” followed by “Preferences…”. It will take you to the Preferences panel where all the iTunes settings are located, including the Apple Music toggle.
3. When the panel opens, make sure you are in the “General” tab. If you are not, click on “General” on the top.
You should see that the checkbox for “Show Apple Music” is enabled. Click on it and it will be unchecked.
4. As soon as you uncheck the option in the above step, you will see a prompt that looks like the following image. It says is that it will stop using your iCloud Music Library if you disable the Apple Music feature. Click on “Hide Apple Music,” and the feature will be hidden on your Mac.
5. The checkbox for “Show Apple Music” should now be unchecked as shown below. Click on “OK” to save the settings and close the panel.
If you were not expecting the service to appear in the app without you first confirming it, you have a way to hide it on your machine.
Now, as long as you do not open the preferences panel and checkmark the option for the service, the service will remain disabled.
While Apple Music is a great service and is liked by many users, some users are just not ready for it yet. The guide above should help them hide the service from appearing on their machines until they really want it in their life.