Since the release of Google Maps, Google has been adding a lot of useful features to it. While you can just use the basic mapping feature, here are eight ways you can fully utilize Google Maps to give you a better travel experience.
1. Zoom In and Out with One Finger
It can be tricky to navigate the map while driving. You can zoom in and out on the screen using only one finger. All you have to do is double-tap anywhere on the map screen. On the second tap, keep your finger pressed down.
Raise your finger up to zoom out of the screen, and bring your finger down to zoom in. You can then choose to remove your finger and scroll over to another section of the map to zoom in or out.
2. View Your Google Maps History
Tap on the three buttons at the top-right corner of the screen. Go to your timeline and pick a day on the calendar icon. You will be able to view your location history on that particular day including any new places you visited where you might have forgotten the location.
3. Mark the Spot Where You Parked Your Car
After you park your car in a parking spot, turn on Google Maps. You will see the blue dot on the screen representing your current location. Tap on the dot and you will see three options. Tap on the “save your parking” option to pin the spot on your map. You can also add a photo to the location for better recognisability.
4. Share Location with Friends
Meeting up with friends at a new location can be quite difficult if everyone is coming from different directions to a common area. With the “Share your location” feature you can lead your friends directly to where you are currently. To activate, simply tap on the blue dot representing your location and choose the “Share your location” option from the page that appears onscreen. Now select the people with whom you wish to share this information.
5. Create Lists of Your Favorite Spots
You can separate the places you visit regularly into different categories of lists. Like professional, fun, out-of-state, etc.:
1. Search for the place on Google Maps that you wish to save.
2. Tap on the dot representing the location on the map.
3. Tap the address of the location that appears at the bottom of the screen.
4. Hit the “Save” icon next to the share icon and assign the location to a list, or create a new list.
6. Change Songs without Leaving the Google Maps Screen
1. Open “Settings” on Google Maps.
2. Go to “Navigation Settings.”
3. Toggle on the “Show media playback options” switch.
The music control options will now appear at the bottom of the Maps screen.
7. Follow Businesses and Public Events
1. Search for a business or a public event on Google Maps.
2. Tap on the dot representing the business.
3. On the information screen that appears, choose the “Follow” option.
You will now receive updates about the business on your map under the “For you” section.
8. Switch to Night Mode During the Daytime
Night mode usually turns on during nighttime, but you can also turn on the feature during the day to save battery life:
1. Go to “Navigation settings” under the Settings menu.
2. Scroll down until you get to the Color Scheme option.
3. Switch the scheme from “Automatic” to “Night.”
Google Maps is a useful accessory for your travels with new features being added to the application regularly. Make use of the tips above to master Google Maps and allow it to help you out during your trip.