Google Docs is Google’s online word processor that allows you to create and edit word documents online. You can create your documents, format them, change page size, and do a number of other tasks that you did with Microsoft Word.
As if the built-in features of Google Docs weren’t enough, there are now a number of add-ons that you can use with the Docs to add more features while creating your documents. In the following roundup we cover nine add-ons from our Software Discovery section that will help you do more with your documents created in Google Docs.
DocSecrets hides and encrypts sensitive information such as passwords, patent ideas or other secrets. It reveals these details when a correct password is entered.
- Encrypt and hide sensitive information
- Use a password to protect information
- Edit, remove, and reveal secrets
2. Code Blocks
Code Blocks makes it easy to put your code into Google Docs. Simply select some text, click the “Format” button, and it will be formatted with the color theme of your choice.
- One-click syntax highlighting
- Automatic language detection (or choose it yourself)
- Lots of color themes
- Format code inline or as blocks (1×1 tables)
- Preview changes before updating your document
3. Page Sizer
Page Sizer is a utility allowing you to specify custom page sizes in Google Docs. Sizes may be specified in points, inches, or millimeters.
- Define custom page sizes for your documents
- Support for multiple size units
Capitals is a utility allowing you to modify the capitalization of selected text. Support is provided for converting text to all uppercase, all lowercase, and title case, as well as converting from lowercase letters to small caps and vice versa.
- Change capitalization for blocks of text
- Convert to uppercase, lowercase, and small caps
5. UberConference Sidebar
UberConference Sidebar makes it easy to have a conference call while collaborating on a Google Doc. Simply select the sidebar from the menu above and dial in to your conference number on the right. As people join, you’ll see them appear in the sidebar.
- Quickly create a conference with the document viewers
- Conference options reside in the sidebar
6. Copy Comments
Google Doc’s “Make a Copy” feature does not copy over comments. This simple app called Copy Comments duplicates a Google Document as well as its comments.
- Copy comments over to new documents
- Easy to use
The Translate add-on allows you to quickly translate selected document text between several languages and reinsert it into the document.
- Translate text right in the document itself
- Support for multiple languages
8. Highlight Tool
Highlight Tool for Google Docs helps you create and share customized highlighters that you can save to a separate document.
- Highlight content in your documents
- Save highlighted content in a separate document
- Custom highlighters
9. Table of Contents
Table of contents automatically creates a table of contents in the sidebar that can be clicked through for easy document navigation.
- Creates a table of all the content in your document
- Content headers in table are hyperlinked to that section
By using the above add-ons, you will be able to do many tasks in Google Docs itself, which otherwise would have required you to use other apps. If you like these, we are sure you will like a number of other useful software we have in our Software Discovery section. Check it out and let us know what you think about it.