A missing DLL error hints that there is an important file related to software missing on your PC. The “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing” error is a version of the missing file error that shows up because of unsuccessful installation of a specific program or after a Windows update. Noticeably, when a DLL file or Dynamic Link Library file of a particular program is corrupt or missing, you will come across a VCRUNTIME140.dll error, preventing you from using the software. Luckily, this error can be fixed. Here we provide you with several methods to fix the “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing” error in Windows 10.
What Is the “VCRUNTIME140.dll Is Missing” Error?
As always, before we check out methods that will help fix the VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing error, let us first understand what this error actually is. VCRUNTIME140.DLL is a Microsoft C Runtime Library application extension and can be located under the System32 folder.
Moreover, it is a file that is used by Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019 and is a part of the C++package files. Some software adds the VCRUNTIME140.dll file along with the package installer. A failed installation or Windows update could easily corrupt/delete it.
There are several reasons you are seeing this error. If your system is infused with malware, then you would come across this error. Many times, such DLL files are deleted by antiviruses, resulting in this VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error.
Now that we have some knowledge about the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error in Windows 10, let us go through the fixes.
Re-register the VCRUNTIME140.dll File
You can re-register the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll file using the command Regsvr32 in Command Prompt (Admin) on your PC. To do that, follow the steps below:
1. Press the Win button on your keyboard and search for “Command Prompt.”
2. Right-click on the command prompt. From the menu, select “Run as Administrator.”
3. You need to un-register the file by typing the below command and hitting Enter:
4. Re-register the dll file by typing the command below and hitting Enter:
5. After executing both commands, close the command prompt and try running the problematic program again.
Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable
As mentioned earlier, the VCRUNTIME140.dll error has its roots in Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019. If you are getting the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error, then it is advised that you try to reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019 to fix it.
1. Head to Microsoft’s official website to download Visual C++ Redistributable.
2. You will be shown two files: “vc_redist.x64.exe” and “vc_redist.x86.exe.” The x86 file is for 32-bit Windows OS, while the .x64 is for 64-bit Windows OS. Depending on your PC’s configuration, download the appropriate file.
3. Check the file you wish to download and hit the Next button at the bottom-right corner.
4. Once the download is finished, open the file, agree to the Microsoft Software License Terms, and hit the Install button.
Run System File Checker
There is a tool called System File Checker that is built in to Windows 10. It is also called SFC Scan and is one of the best ways to fix corrupt files and other system-related issues.
1. Open Command Prompt as admin.
2. Type in the below command and hit Enter:
3. The System File Checker will begin checking for errors. If it detects any issues (in our case VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing), then SFC Scan will automatically fix it.
Manually Replace the Missing VCRUNTIME140.dll File
If a specific program is the cause behind the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error in Windows 10, then you can also try downloading and manually replacing the file in the application directory.
1. Visit DLL-Files and download the VCRUNTIME140.dll files. Again, dependent on whether your PC is 32-bit or 64-bit.
2. A zip file will be downloaded. Extract it with software like WinRAR or 7zip.
3. Simply copy and paste the “vcruntime140.dll” file into the directory of the problematic program.
4. Make sure to replace the original file if prompted.
Update Windows 10 OS
Another solution you can try is to update your copy of Windows 10 with the latest version. Microsoft releases new updates for the OS that include multiple fixes. There is a better chance that a newer update of Windows 10 could fix the VCRUNTIME140.dll error on a Windows 10 PC.
You can check for Windows updates by going to “Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update.”
Reinstall the Problematic Program
If none of the above-mentioned solutions help you solve this issue on your Windows 10 PC, then as a last resort, try reinstalling the problematic program. Reinstalling the software will give you a clean slate to work with.
We hope this guide helped you fix the VCRUNTIME.dll is missing error on your Windows 10 PC. If you are having other errors, like “CTF Loader Error” or “The parameter is incorrect” error, we have the fixes for those, too.