1. Enable “Save to Gallery”
In Telegram, the option to automatically save incoming photos and videos needs to be activated manually from the app. If you have an Android phone, these are steps you need to take in order to ensure the media shared during conversations is automatically saved to your gallery.
- Open the Telegram app on your device.
- Tap on the hamburger menu in the upper left corner of the display.
- Select Settings.
- Tap on “Chat Settings”.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom until you find the “Save to Gallery” option and toggle it on.
Now Telegram should automatically start saving the photos and videos you’ve received directly to your gallery. Curiously, the feature appears to work on some phones, but not others. On our devices running Android 11 and Android 12, activating this feature had no effect on whether Telegram saved the photos to Gallery. This happened regardless of whether we downloaded the app from the Play Store or used the official Telegram apk. On the other hand, on an older Samsung device running Android 7.0, the option worked just fine.
On iOS the same option is called “Save Incoming photos”. This is how you can activate it on your device.
- Open the Telegram app on your iPhone.
- Go to Setting.
- Then tap on “Data and Storage”.
- Scroll down until you find the “Save Incoming Photos” options and press on it.
- Enable the option for Contacts, Other Private Chats, Group Chats or Channels.
Now the media you receive while chatting in Telegram should be automatically saved to your iPhone’s gallery.
2. Grant Storage Permission
Another thing you want to try is to make sure your Telegram app has storage permission. Depending on what version of Android is running on your phone you might have to grant “Files and Media” permission instead.
- Find the Telegram app on your phone and long press on the icon.
- Tap on the Info or App Info button that pops up.
- Select Permissions.
- Now if you’re running an older version of Android (the device in the screenshots is running Android 7.0) you will need to tap on Storage to enable the option.
- Alternatively, if you’re running Android 11 or 12, you should see the “Files and media” option.
- Tap on it and check to see if the “Allow access to media only” feature is on. If it’s not activate it.
3. Save Photos and Other Media Manually
If you tried the methods described above, and nothing happened then another solution might be to simply manually save the photos or videos from the app. This is how you can do it if you own an Android device.
- Open up a chat that contains a media file you want to save.
- Tap on it to open it.
- Tap on the three-dots in the upper right corner of the display.
- Select “Save to Gallery”.
Now go to your phone’s Gallery, you should be able to see the picture there.
On Android, this option can sometime malfunction. If you’re having issues seeing your received photos and videos in the Gallery, try updating the app or installing the apk from the Telegram official website.
On iOS here’s how you can manually save images.
- Open a chat that contains a media file you wish to save to your gallery.
- Tap on the file.
- Now press on the little forwarding icon in the lower left corner.
- Select the “Save Image” option at the bottom. Telegram will ask permission to access Photos and once you’ve granted it, the image will show up in your gallery.
4. Enable Auto-Download Media
If you’re constantly switching between your Wi-Fi and data, you need to activate the “Enable auto-download media” option to make sure a photo or video doesn’t slip through the cracks when you’re using your mobile data, for example.
- Open the Telegram app on your phone.
- Tap on the hamburger menu in the upper left corner.
- Select Settings.
- Press on “Data and Storage”.
- Toggle on the “When using mobile data” option if it’s not enabled. The “When connected on Wi-Fi” featured should be on, but if it’s not make sure to activate it as well.
5. Update the App
If photos and videos aren’t showing up in your gallery it might be because your app needs to be updated. Go to the Google Play Store, search for the app and see if you can spot an Update button underneath.
If it’s not there and it simply says Open then it means that the app is running the latest version that is available for your region.
If the problem continues to persist, keep your eyes out for updates. The issue has been reported numerous times in places like Telegram Bugs, so a fix is probably incoming.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I get the most out of Telegram?
Bots can help! We have a handy list which includes 12 bots that can improve your Telegram experience manifold.
2. How can I protect my privacy in Telegram?
3. How can I keep my Telegram organized?
You can organize your chats by creating chat folders in Telegram. If you don’t know where to start, go ahead and read our previous article dedicated to showing you how.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox