Night Light is a feature that was introduced in Windows 10. It changes the colors displayed on your screen into warmer tones, effectively reducing the blue light emitted, promoting a normal sleep schedule. As with everything in Windows, there are times when the Night Light feature of Windows will stop working properly. If you’re experiencing the same problem, this tutorial provides ways to fix the issues with Night Light not working on Windows.
Good to know: you can both manually and automatically adjust the brightness of the display on your Windows PC.
- Quick Fixes to Try
- 1. Re-Enable the Night Light Mode
- 2. Check Night Light's Scheduling Options
- 3. Set the Accurate Date and Time
- 4. Adjust the Strength of the Night Light Mode
- 5. Enable Your Location on Windows
- 6. Turn Off the HDR Feature
- 7. Reset Night Light Settings
- 8. Reset Your PC
- Frequently Asked Questions
Quick Fixes to Try
Before attempting any of the methods detailed below, we encourage you to first make sure that you've installed the most recent updates on your system. This may solve your problem without the need to take any additional action.
In addition, the Night Light issue on your PC could also be due to an outdated display driver. You can quickly check Device Manager and update it from there, then restart your PC.
If Night Light mode is turning on or off by itself, or the feature is grayed out, move on to the fixes discussed below.
1. Re-Enable the Night Light Mode
Night Light mode may have accidentally been disabled on your PC. Follow these steps to enable the feature again.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to the “System -> Display.”
- Go to “Night Light” and toggle it on if it's not already. The option should come into effect immediately.
- As an alternative, press the Win + A keys to open the Action Center, where you can see whether Night Light is enabled or disabled (provided you've added the respective tile beforehand).
Tip: learn the differences between sleep mode, hibernate, shut down and more.
2. Check Night Light's Scheduling Options
Users can schedule Night Light to take effect at certain intervals, but sometimes these schedule settings can cause the feature to malfunction. Follow the steps below to check these scheduling options.
- Go to "Settings -> System -> Display" as shown above.
- Enable the “Night Light” option.
- Disable the “Schedule night light” option from here.
- Alternatively, you can turn on the “Schedule Night Light” function and set a schedule that fits your daily routine. Then, restart your PC and check whether Night Light turns on and off at the times you set.
3. Set the Accurate Date and Time
If the Night Light option is grayed out on your PC, it could be because of incorrect date and time settings. Fix this by following these steps:
- Open "Settings -> Time & language."
- On the right, click the “Date & time” option.
- Turn on the “Set time automatically” and “Set time zone automatically” options.
- Tap the “Sync now” button to apply the new settings.
- Restart your computer and see whether the Night Light feature works properly.
Tip: looking for ways to improve your PC’s performance? Start using Efficiency Mode in Windows 11.
4. Adjust the Strength of the Night Light Mode
It could be that the Night Light strength setting on your PC is set too low. If that's the case, it will be hard to notice whether the Night Light is turned on or off. To fix this, adjust the Night Light strength by following these steps.
- Go to “Settings -> Display -> Night Light.”
- You should see a slider next to the “Strength” option. Adjust the setting according to your preferences by moving the slider left or right.
- Select the “Turn on now” option to activate the new configuration.
5. Enable Your Location on Windows
Turning off Location services in Windows will make the Night Light option appear grayed out and disabled. To turn Location services on, follow these steps:
- Open "Settings -> Privacy & security."
- Go to the “App permissions” tab and click “Location.”
- In the new window, enable “Location services.”
- Restart your computer before checking Night Light mode.
Good to know: is HDR looking off on your PC? Learn what to do about it.
6. Turn Off the HDR Feature
The Windows HDR feature makes your images and videos appear more vibrant, but if it's turned on, it may interfere with the Night Light feature. If you disable the HDR feature, it could fix the issue. Follow these steps to turn off HDR:
- Go to Windows “Settings -> System -> Display.”
- Click “HDR” in the “Brightness & color” section.
- Disable the “Use HDR” and "Play streaming HDR video" (if available) options. Night Light mode should be working if HDR was behind the issue.
7. Reset Night Light Settings
You can also address the issue with Night Light mode not turning on by resetting its settings via the Registry Editor.
- Press Win + R to open a Run dialog.
regeditand press the Enter key.
- Go to the following path: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> CloudStore -> Store -> DefaultAccount -> Cloud."
- In this folder, you will find a subkey named “default$Windows.data.bluelightreduction.bluelightreductionstate.” Right-click on this folder and select “Delete.”
- Restart your PC, and the Night Light feature should start working again.
8. Reset Your PC
A great way to fix Night Light not working on Windows is to reset your PC. Doing so will improve your device's performance and remove the glitches (if any), ultimately fixing the Night Light issue. Even if you opt for a reset, you can keep your data intact.
Tip: knowing how to tweak the Windows registry can optimize your experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Night Light mode save battery on my laptop?
Night Light mode reduces the amount of battery consumed because the screen is emitting less light than normal. However, the effect on battery life may vary depending on your screen type.
Does Night Light mode decrease the performance of a PC?
Night Light mode does not decrease the performance of your PC; it only affects how your screen looks. You can use Night Light mode while running demanding tasks on your computer.
What is the difference between Windows Night Light mode and Dark mode?
Windows Night Light mode changes the color being emitted by your screen to a warmer color, while Dark mode changes the user interface by switching to a darker color scheme.
Image credit: Unsplash. All screenshots by Khizer Kaleem.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox