Will you be having guests who you know will ask for your Wi-Fi password? You may not want to force your guests to type it down or may have even forgotten it or don’t want to divulge it. Let’s see how to find and share Wi-Fi passwords on Android, iPhone, and Windows.
How to Find Your Wi-Fi Password on iPhone
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to find Wi-Fi passwords directly on an iPhone. You will need to connect your iPhone to a Mac and use iCloud Keychain to view the Wi-Fi passwords.
Here are the steps:
- On your iPhone, go to “Settings → [your name].”
- Tap on “iCloud → Keychain.”
- Enable the toggle next to iCloud Keychain. Wait for a few seconds to allow your iPhone to sync the passwords.
- Now, on your Mac, open Keychain Access using Spotlight search (CMD + Space).
- In Keychain Access, search for the Wi-Fi SSID password you want to know.
- Select it from the list of results, and a pop-up will appear showing you the details of the Wi-Fi network. Click “Show password.”
- You will be asked to verify your Mac’s password. Once done, you will see the Wi-Fi password.
How to Share Your Wi-Fi Password from an iPhone
You won’t find a Share Wi-Fi password option on your iPhone. However, Apple offers a hidden way to share Wi-Fi passwords. Before we begin, please make sure:
- You are sharing your Wi-Fi password from an iPhone to another Apple device.
- Both devices are running the latest operating system.
- You have signed in to iCloud on your device.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on on both devices, and they are nearby.
- Personal hotspot is turned off on both devices.
- The other person’s email address associated with their Apple ID is in their contact information on your iPhone and vice versa.
Once you have met the above requirements, follow these steps:
- Unlock the device holding the Wi-Fi password you want to share and be sure it is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Select the same Wi-Fi network on the second device.
- On the first device, a pop-up will display asking if you wish to share the Wi-Fi password. Tap on “Share password -> Done.”
Using Third-Party Apps
If you don’t like the above method or want to share the Wi-Fi password with an Android user, third-party apps will help. The disadvantage of these apps is that they will not be able to obtain the Wi-Fi password directly because Apple keeps it securely. Enter the Wi-Fi SSID and password manually into these apps to generate a QR code. The same QR code can then be scanned by other devices, such as Android or an iPhone.
Some of the Wi-Fi sharing apps for iPhone are:
The steps to share the Wi-Fi password using these apps are very similar. But for the sake of understanding, let’s use the Visual Codes app to take a look at how it can be used to share a Wi-Fi password.
- Install and open the Visual Codes app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Add Code” button followed by “Connect to Wi-Fi.”
- Type in your Wi-Fi name and password in the available fields and choose the security option. Also, enter a descriptive label. Hit the “Create Code” button.
- Tap on the QR code you just created in the app to open it in a full-screen view.
- Scan this QR code using the second device. Tap on Connect to Wi-Fi when asked to share the Wi-Fi password.
Tip: use the same app to scan Wi-Fi QR codes from other devices.
Using Shortcuts App
The Apple Shortcuts app can also be used to share Wi-Fi passwords. The procedure is simple: download the third-party shortcut, enter the password manually once in the shortcut, and run it to generate a QR code. Follow the steps below:
- Connect your iPhone to the Wi-Fi you want to share.
- Be sure you have the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- Download the Share Wi-Fi shortcut by tapping the Get shortcut or Add shortcut button.
Note: if you are unable to install the third-party shortcut, you will need to enable untrusted shortcuts by going to “Settings → Shortcuts -> Enable Untrusted shortcuts.”
- You will find the newly installed shortcut under the “My shortcuts” tab int he Shortcuts app. Tap on the three-dot icon on the “Share Wi-Fi” shortcut and enter your password in the “Add Wi-Fi password” field. Tap “Done” and go back to the previous screen.
- Tap on the shortcut to run it. A QR code will appear that needs to be scanned on the other device.
How to Find the Wi-Fi Password on Android
You can easily find the Wi-Fi password on devices running Android 10 and above using the “Share Wi-Fi” feature as discussed below.
Note: for devices running Android 10 and below, your phone needs to be rooted in order to view the Wi-Fi password.
- Open Settings on your Android phone and go to “Network & Internet.”
- Tap on “Wi-Fi” to see the available networks. Tap on the connected network.
- Press the Share icon and verify your device if using a PIN or fingerprint sensor.
- A QR code will be generated. Look below the QR code for the Wi-Fi password.
Tip: tap on “Saved networks” under Wi-Fi to view the passwords of previously connected Wi-Fi networks.
You will not see the Wi-Fi password on Samsung Galaxy phones using the above method. There is, however, an easy trick for locating the password.
- Navigate to “Settings → Connections → Wi-Fi.”
- Tap on the QR code button after selecting the connected Wi-Fi network.
- Scan this code using another phone or a web app like QRcodescan.in to be shown the Wi-Fi password.
How to Share Your Wi-Fi Password from Android
Follow the steps described above in the “Find Wi-Fi” section to generate the QR code. Scan the QR code from another device to connect to the Wi-Fi without typing a password.
Using a Third-Party App
If the above method doesn’t work for your Android phone, you should install the Wi-Fi QR Code Generator app. Add your Wi-Fi network name and password manually to generate the QR code. Ask the other party to scan this code.
How to Find Your Wi-Fi Password on Windows
Fortunately, it’s quite easy to find the Wi-Fi password on a Windows computer too.
- First, you need to open “Network and sharing center.” To do so on Windows 10, open “Settings → Network & Internet → Status → Network and Sharing Center.” On Windows 11, open “Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network and Sharing Center.”
- Click on your Wi-Fi network next to “Connections.”
- A pop-up window will open. Click on “Wireless properties.”
- Open the “Security” tab in the pop-up that shows up. Check the box next to “Show characters” to see the Wi-Fi password.
Tip: you can also try the WirelessKeyView tool from NirSoft to view Wi-Fi passwords on Windows.
How to Share Your Wi-Fi Password from Windows
Previously, Wi-Fi Sense, a built-in function from Microsoft, was used to share Wi-Fi passwords. Microsoft, however, eliminated it in 2016. Now if you want to share Wi-Fi with others, you will need to generate a QR code.
Using a QR Code
In this method, you will need to generate a QR code for your Wi-Fi and share it with others.
- Open the QIFi web app on your PC’s browser and enter your Wi-Fi SSID and password.
- Press the Generate button to get the QR code.
- Scan this QR code from Android or iPhone. For future use, press the “Export” button to download the image containing the QR code.
Tip: QR Code Generator from the ZXing project is another similar web app that helps generate QR codes for Wi-Fi.
If your router supports it, you can allow people to connect to your Wi-Fi network using the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) method on a Windows PC.
- Ask to see the available Wi-Fi networks on their computer.
- They should click on the network you want them to connect to – but request that they not enter the password.
- If WPS functionality is available, a message will appear under the password box saying they can connect by pushing the button on the router.
- Go to the router and press the WPS button.
- The selected Wi-Fi will start connecting on your PC.
Tip: to use the WPS functionality properly, you may need to read the router’s instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I scan a QR code on Android, iPhone, and PC?
Scan QR codes with Google Lens on Android. On certain phones, such as the Pixel, Google Lens is present inside the Camera app. You can also download the Google Lens app from the Play Store. Alternatively, check the best QR code scanner apps for Android.
Similarly, on Samsung Galaxy phones and iPhones, the Camera app includes a native QR code scanner. On the iPhone, you can also access the QR code scanner using Control Center. Just point the camera towards the QR code to scan it.
Use a web app like webqr.com on a PC to scan QR codes from the camera or a picture.
2. Can you find a Wi-Fi password on the router page?
Yes. If you have access to the router’s admin panel, you will be able to see the Wi-Fi password under Wireless settings.
3. Can I connect using WPS on Android and iPhone?
Sadly, no. Neither Android nor iPhone support WPS connectivity due to security issues.
To be on the safer side, always be sure to only connect to trusted Wi-Fi networks. You may be interested in learning whether you should use public Wi-Fi. Also, learn how to reuse old routers if your current one is throwing tantrums.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox