Servers are the main building blocks for Discord. Think of them as chat rooms created around diverse topics where you can discuss the ins and outs of subjects you are interested in.
If you’ve just joined Discord, finding the best servers that cater to your specific passions might seem a little daunting at first. Not to worry, as this post sheds light on how to find interesting and exciting servers to join. Even if you’ve already grown quite accustomed to Discord, you may be able to find Discord servers you didn’t know about.
1. Use Discord’s Server Search
The simplest way to quickly find new servers to join is to use Discord’s integrated server search. Access it from the Discord desktop app as well as the mobile one by following the below steps.
- Open Discord on your device.
- Click the compass icon in your server list on the left side of the screen.
This will open the “Find your community on Discord” page.
- Use the “Explore communities” search bar at the top for servers, using keywords related to your interests. For instance, try searching for “Valheim,” “abstract art” or anything else that appeals to you.
- Look through the search results and pick your favorite server. Joining a server is as easy as clicking on the server’s name or associated thumbnail.
- If you can’t think of a particular keyword, don’t worry. Look on the left side of the screen for a list of categories you can browse through, including Music, Gaming, and Education. Scroll through and pick your favorite.
2. Search with Google
This is another easy thing to do if you quickly want to see whether there’s a Discord community affiliated with one of your interests. Here’s a quick example. Let’s say that you’re a fan of Focus Entertainment, as you’ve enjoyed playing “A Plague Tale: Innocence” lately and would like to chat with other fans of the game. Go on Google and search for “Focus Entertainment Discord.” The first hit you get should be the invite link that will take you to the official Focus Entertainment server on Discord.
If your search term is a bit vague or generic, your results might be a mixed bag. For instance, say you’re interested in “dreampop music” and would like to find more fans of the genre to share impressions with. You could try searching for “dreampop discord’ or “dreampop discord server.” The results will be more varied, some taking you to online Discord directories or Reddit. Note that the third hit is an official invite to a Discord server focusing on the genre.
3. Find Discord Servers with Online Directories
Another way to find a server to join is to go through one of the online directories that aggregate Discord servers. For the purposes of this article, we are showing you around disboard.org. This website features thousands of options that are grouped into various categories. To access servers on Disboard:
- Press on “Servers” at the top.
- Start clicking on the mega-categories listed below “Public Discord Servers” or the tack beneath to reveal several popular tags.
It’s also possible to use the search function in the navigation to look for more specific servers.
- Click on a server to read its full description, view the number of members, and read reviews from Disboard users who joined the server.
- Press the “Join this server” button underneath a listing you like to become part of that community. (Some servers require you to create a separate nickname when joining.)
Disboard is not the only website of its kind; there are others you should try. Some of them also offer access to a comprehensive list of bots you may want to add to your server.
4. Try Reddit, Facebook, and Other Social Media Sites
If you’re on social media and follow your favorite communities there, take advantage of that. Keep an eye out for any mentions of their affiliated Discord servers. Here are a few places to find Discord servers on social media.
- Subreddits: Many popular Reddit subreddits also have Discord channels. For instance, LifeProTips, a subreddit boasting more than 20 million subscribers, has recently unveiled its own Discord channel called “The Positivity Network.” If you’re on Reddit, keep your eyes open while browsing your favorite threads. Alternatively, you can search a particular subreddit for any Discord-related info using the search bar at the top.
- Facebook communities: if they’ve set up a dedicated server, they will surely advertise the information on Facebook while also sharing the invite.
- Profiles and social media feeds of gamers and streamers: if you’re following people on Twitch, YouTube Gaming, and other similar platforms, check whether there’s any Discord server information on their profiles or in their social media timelines.
- Podcasts: podcasters also create Discord communities in an effort to facilitate interactions between their fans. Keep your ears open, as they may share that information at the start or end of episodes. An example of this is Blue Skies from the Basement, a comedy podcast masquerading as a science and technology podcast.
Sometimes you will stumble upon an invite to a Discord server that has expired. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to fix this: copy the name of the server into Google, then add “discord” or “discord server” next to it and search. You should be able to find the new link in no time.
How to Find Private Discord Servers
By using the methods described above, you’ll mostly find public Discord servers. However, there are also private servers to consider, though you’ll need an invite to join.
Patreon, a platform which features strong integration with Discord, is a good place to start looking for private servers. As a result, many creators offer access to private Discord servers for their supporters who contribute a fee in exchange for accessing content. If you’re following a creator on Patreon, check whether there is a Discord server set up.
Private servers are usually much more exclusive and don’t feature as many members as public servers. For this reason, they aren’t as active either. However, if you’d like to be part of an elite community of connoisseurs, private Discord severs are they way to go.
Alternatively, Reddit can also be a good place to look for private servers, but you’ll need to do some digging. At the same time, you’ll need to find a way to get in touch with the server owner or someone who is a member of that server and convince them to send you an invite. You won’t be able to get in otherwise.
Interestingly, some of the aggregator websites we listed in this post have a “Private Servers” category or tag, which features servers that can be joined without an invite.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many Discord servers can you join?
You can’t join an endless number of Discord servers. For the time being, the maximum limit is set to 100. Once you’ve reached it, the only way to join new servers is by renouncing some of the servers you’ve already joined. To do this, click on the downward arrow next to the server’s name on the left side of the display and select “Leave Server.” This 100-server limitation applies to free Discord users. If you’re a Nitro user, you can join up to 200.
How can I join a full Discord server?
Sometimes, you will not be able to join a Discord server because its maximum capacity was reached. If you really want to join that server, try again later. There’s a chance some users might have left the server. Alternatively, some might have been banned or removed for various reasons. Keep checking to see if a spot has cleared up.
What are some cool Discord servers I can join?
If you don’t have a clear idea about the kind of Discord servers you’d like to join, then perhaps you’ll find some inspiration by looking at our list of interesting Discord servers you should try.
Image credit: Yan Krukov via Pexels
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox