Comments are a big part of the Facebook experience, but what happens when you realize you’ve made a mistake and posted something you shouldn’t have or someone replies to one of your posts unkindly? Fortunately, you can easily delete your own comments, although the same doesn’t always apply to comments from other Facebook users. This tutorial details all your options while also showing you how you can quickly remove comments and reactions from Facebook.
- How to Remove/Edit Your Own Comments on Facebook
- How to Delete Your Own Comments in Bulk on Facebook
- How to Delete Other People's Comments on Facebook
- Alternatives to Deleting Other People's Comments on Facebook
- How to Remove Your Own Likes from Facebook Posts
- How to Delete/Change Your Reactions on Facebook Posts
- How to Delete Your Reactions to Facebook Stories
- How to Delete Other People's Likes and Reactions on Your Own Posts
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Remove/Edit Your Own Comments on Facebook
There are plenty of reasons someone may want to delete their own Facebook comments. Perhaps you’ve realized your remark has been misinterpreted and wish to keep it from snowballing. Or perhaps you’ve received many negative responses to something you said and would like to remove the entire thread. Regardless of your reasons for wanting to get rid of one (or more) of your comments, we show you below how to do it.
On desktop, you can delete a comment you posted in reply to someone else’s post by following these simple steps:
- Find the comment you wish to delete.
- Hover the mouse over it until the three-dot icon appears on the right.
- Click on it to bring up a set of options.
- Select “Delete.”
- A window will pop up asking you to confirm that you wish to delete the comment. Select “Delete” again.
- Alternatively, if you wish to edit your post, select the other option.
The comment should now be deleted. The same method can be applied whether the comment was posted on your wall or someone else’s wall. If you commented in a Facebook group, the method is the same, although you’ll have more options, with “Delete” sitting all the way at the bottom. The “Edit” option is also available from the same menu.
Warning: If you decide to delete a post/comment that has many replies, keep in mind that they will all be deleted along with the main post.
On mobile, things aren’t much different when it comes to deleting one of your own comments. Here’s how it’s done:
- Identify the comment you wish to delete.
- Long-press it until a menu pops up at the bottom.
- Select “Delete.”
- Once again, you’ll be asked to confirm you decision, so press “Delete” again to get on with the process.
- From the same menu, you can choose “Edit,” which will allow you to revise your comment and apply the modifications you want.
How to Delete Your Own Comments in Bulk on Facebook
Want to delete multiple comments in one go? Facebook lets you do that through the Activity section. Here’s how to proceed if you want to do some comment cleaning.
- Open Facebook in your browser, then click the downward arrow in the upper-right corner of the display.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Click “Settings.”
- Select the “Your Facebook information” option from the menu on the left of the display.
- Locate the “Activity Log” section on the right and press “View.”
- Click on “Comments.”
- You’ll be taken to an overview of all the comments you’ve written on the platform since you’ve signed up with Facebook.
- From this page you can delete all the comments you wish to remove simply by ticking the “All” box at the top, then clicking on the “Remove” button.
- You’ll need to input your Facebook password to confirm the action.
- If you only wish to delete certain comments, simply select the ones you wish to get rid of, then follow the instruction above in #8.
- On mobile, open Facebook, then tap on the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down all the way to the bottom and tap on “Settings & Privacy.”
- Select “Settings.”
- Scroll down until you find the “Your Information” section and select “Activity Log.”
- You’ll notice a list of labels underneath the Welcome message. Scroll through until you find “Your comments” and tap on it.
- This will bring up the list of all your comments, just like on the desktop.
- While you don’t have an option to clear all the comments in the mobile app, you can still quickly delete comments by pressing on the three-dots next to a comment and selecting the “Delete” option.
Doing so will save you the time you’d otherwise spend searching for your comments. This way you can delete comments all in one place.
How to Delete Other People’s Comments on Facebook
When it comes to what other people are commenting, things are a bit more complicated. Facebook lets you delete their comments if and only if they are replies to your posts.
Although it may sound appealing, you can’t go around deleting random comments on Facebook. Below, learn how to remove someone’s comment from your posts.
- To delete someone else’s comment on your post, select the three dots on the right side of the comment.
- Click on “Delete” from the pull-down menu.
Note: it’s not possible to edit any of these comments. Your only options are to delete them or leave them as they are.
The same process applies to a comment posted in a Facebook group or page you manage. As administrator, you’ll be able to remove comments that you don’t consider to be in line with the group/page’s guidelines.
- On mobile, find the comment you want to get rid of.
- Long-tap on it until you bring up a menu at the bottom.
- Select “Delete.”
Alternatives to Deleting Other People’s Comments on Facebook
Report the Comment
While in most circumstances you can’t delete other people’s comments on Facebook, you can report those you believe may be violating Meta’s guidelines for proper behavior on the social app. You can report a comment for various reasons, including:
- False Information
- Hate speech
- And more
You can report comments on Facebook both via the mobile app and your desktop. To do so, follow the exact steps we outlined in section one and select the “Give feedback or report this comment” option.
Select the reason you’re reporting the comment, then wait until your report is analyzed by someone at Facebook. If your request is approved, the comment in question will get removed.
Hide the Comments
Even if it’s not possible to delete other people’s comments on Facebook, you can still hide them. Out of sight, out of mind right? Here’s how to do that.
- Find the comment you wish to delete.
- Hover the mouse over it until three dots appear on the right.
- Click on the three dots to bring up a set of options.
- Select to “Hide comment” on the desktop. On mobile, long-tap on the comment you’re trying to hide to bring up a set of options from the bottom.
- Tap “Hide comment.”
Note: if you do this, it doesn’t mean all the comments from this person will be removed from view. Only the comment you’ve chosen to hide will be hidden.
How to Remove Your Own Likes from Facebook Posts
Likes are a basic form of communication on Facebook. They are used to easily signal interest or appreciation for a post or a comment. But if you’d like to take back your “like,” here’s what to do.
- Identify the post that you liked.
- Click again on the Like button and the Like will disappear.
- Alternatively you can go to the “Activity log” once again (as illustrated above) but this time select Interactions from the menu on the right.
- Find the Like you want to get rid of and click on the three-dots next to it and press on Unlike.
- On mobile, you need to tap on the Like in order to remove it.
- Alternatively, tap on the “Likes and reactions” label in the “Activity log.”
- Find the Like in question and press on the three dots next to it, then choose “Unlike.”
How to Delete/Change Your Reactions on Facebook Posts
Reactions are another way to communicate on Facebook. They’re handy when you find you don’t have much to say in response to a post, but you’d still like to show your appreciation (or other general feelings).
If you’d like to delete or change your reaction to a post or a comment, here’s how you can do so.
- Find a reaction you’d like to delete or change.
- Click your current reaction to delete it.
- On the other hand, if you’d like to change it, you need to hover over your current reaction (next to “Comments”) and select a more appropriate one.
- On mobile, the approach is the same, although instead of hovering your finger over the reaction, you just need to long-tap on it to bring up the other reaction options.
It should also be noted that you can’t remove other people’s reactions from posts or comments. If you’re the admin of a group/page you can go ahead and remove someone’s entire post but not the individual reactions of people to that particular post.
How to Delete Your Reactions to Facebook Stories
You can comment (doing this will have the effect of automatically sending them a message) as well as react to Facebook Stories. If you feel the need to take back something you said or your reaction to a particular Story, here’s how to do so.
Note: you can’t delete a reaction directly from Stories; instead, you’ll need to go through the Activity tab once again.
- Go to the “Activity log” by following the steps we outlined above.
- Select the “Stories activity” option.
- You’ll be taken to a list of all your recent reactions.
- Just like before, click the three dots next to a reaction, then select “Remove reaction.”
- That’s it. Your reaction will no longer be visible to the creator of the Story.
- Go to the “Activity log” once again.
- Tap on the “Story activity” label.
- Click on the three dots next to an entry and select “Remove reaction” from the bottom.
- The reaction will be removed, and the original poster of the Story won’t be able to see it anymore.
How to Delete Other People’s Likes and Reactions on Your Own Posts
Surprisingly, Facebook does not allow you to remove other people’s likes or reactions on your own posts or Stories. However, if you want to prevent others from seeing who liked your posts, do the following:
- Completely delete the post or comment as shown above.
- Change the post’s audience to “Only me” by clicking on the three dots in the upper-right corner of your post. Select “Edit post” and click on the “Audience” button underneath your name. Select “Only me” from the options presented to you.
- Delete and repost by deleting the comment or post, then reposting it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does blocking someone on Facebook remove their comments from your profile?
No. Unfortunately blocking them won’t automatically remove their comments from your profile. Instead, you’ll need to go in manually and delete their comments one by one. Learn how to block someone on Facebook and other social media apps.
2. How can I control who comments on my public posts?
You can control who comments on your public posts on desktop by going to “Settings -> Public Posts.” In the “Public Posts Comments” area, tap on “Edit” to select whether you want to allow anyone to be able to comment or restrict this option to “Friends” or “Friends of Friends.”
3. Can I prevent a specific person from commenting or reacting on my Facebook posts?
Unfortunately, no. What you can do, however, is block them. Alternatively, you can take steps to minimize the amount of content they see from you by placing them on Facebook’s Restricted list or clicking the box underneath your name on the post, changing it to “Friends except” and adding the person’s name you don’t want to see the post.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox