Netflix allows you to have up to five profiles on each account. If you want to add another, you must delete an existing profile. Alternatively, you can edit an existing profile and give it to someone else. Let’s examine how to delete or edit Netflix profiles on TV, iPhone, Android, and PC.
Note: the main profile cannot be deleted, but you can add and switch between Netflix profiles as needed.
How to Delete or Edit a Netflix Profile on Mobile
There are two ways to edit or delete a Netflix profile, even a kids profile, on Android or iPhone.
Method 1: From Main Screen
- Open the Netflix app on your mobile phone.
- Tap on the Edit button (Pencil icon on Android and “Edit” on iPhone) at the top of the “Who’s Watching?” screen.
- All the profiles will now have a Pencil icon on them. Tap on the profile that you want to edit or delete.
- Scroll down and tap the “Delete Profile” button to remove the Netflix profile from your account. Tap “Delete Profile” on the confirmation pop-up.
Note: if you see the error that you are logged in to the profile you’re trying to delete, you must first log out of that profile, then try deleting it again.
- Tap on the pencil icon on the current profile picture to change it, or tap on the profile name to change it. You can also customize other settings related to the Netflix profile.
Tip: if you change your mind, you can just sign out of Netflix without deleting a profile.
Method 2: From Within a Profile
- Launch the Netflix app on your phone and log in to a different profile than the one you want to delete.
- Tap on the profile picture icon at the top.
- Tap on “Manage Profiles.”
- Select the profile you want to delete.
- Scroll down and press the “Delete Profile” button. Tap “Delete Profile” on the pop-up to confirm.
- Alternatively, customize and edit the Netflix profile on this screen. You can change the profile picture, rename the profile, change the language, and more.
Also helpful: learn how to download Netflix content for offline viewing.
How to Edit or Delete a Netflix Profile on a Website
You can also edit or delete a Netflix profile from the Netflix website in two ways.
Method 1: From the Main Screen
- Open the Netflix.com website on a browser on your Windows or macOS computer.
- Log in to your Netflix account.
- Click the “Manage Profiles” button on the “Who’s Watching?” screen.
- Select the profile that you want to delete or edit.
- Make the necessary changes to the Netflix profile, like renaming it or changing other settings, and hit the “Save” button at the bottom.
- Alternatively, click the “Delete Profile” button to remove the Netflix profile.
- Click on “Delete Profile” on the confirmation screen.
Good to know: You can use Netflix keyboard shortcuts to navigate the menus from your laptop or desktop.
Method 2: From Within a Netflix Profile
If you don’t see the “Who’s Watching?” screen when you open the Netflix website, don’t worry. You can still edit or delete a Netflix profile, as shown below:
- Open the Netflix website on your computer.
- Click on the profile picture icon at the top and select a different profile from the one you want to delete.
- Click on the profile picture icon again and select “Manage Profiles” from the menu.
- Click the profile that you want to edit or remove.
- Customize the profile according to your requirements and click the “Save” button at the bottom. Alternatively, click on “Delete Profile” to remove it.
Tip: you can disable Netflix’s auto-playing previews if they annoy you.
How to Edit or Delete a Netflix Profile on TV
Use these two methods to edit or delete a Netflix profile on a smart TV or streaming device like Fire TV Stick, Roku, etc.
Method 1: From the Main Screen
- Open the Netflix app on your TV or streaming device.
- If you are taken to the “Choose a Profile” screen, navigate to the profile you want to delete, then press the left navigation button on the remote to highlight the Edit button (pencil) on the screen. Press the Select button on the remote.
- On the “Edit Profile” screen, select the “Delete Profile” button to remove the profile from your Netflix account, or make the necessary changes to the profile.
Method 2: From Within a Profile
If you are signed in to Netflix, follow these steps to edit or delete any Netflix profile:
- On the Netflix home screen, press the left navigation button on the remote to open the menu.
- Select the currently logged-in profile (or the one that says “Switch Profiles”) to go to the “Manage Profiles” screen.
- Go to the profile you want to delete and select the Edit icon.
- Select the “Delete Profile” button to remove the selected profile.
Also helpful: if you have streaming issues, try these Netflix troubleshooting fixes.
What Happens When You Delete a Netflix Profile?
When you delete a Netflix profile, everything associated with that profile gets deleted. That includes:
- Viewing history
- My list
- Saved games
When you delete a Netflix profile on one device, it will be deleted from all of your devices. For instance, if you delete a Netflix profile on your TV, it will also be removed from your iPhone. Furthermore, it must be noted that deleting a Netflix profile is permanent. You cannot undo it, so think twice before taking the step.
How to Delete Main Netflix Profile
When you create your Netflix account, a profile is created by default. This profile is known as the main Netflix profile. You cannot delete this profile and must delete your Netflix account to get rid of the profile.
However, you can rename the main profile and edit it according to your requirements, as shown above. You must also hide titles (episodes or shows) from your profile to reset the algorithm. Then, use the main profile as your own profile.
Follow these steps to hide one or all titles from your Netflix profile:
Note: you can hide titles from your Netflix profile only via a web browser on your PC. This method doesn’t work on mobile apps.
- Open the Netflix website on a browser on your computer.
- Log in to any Netflix profile.
- Click on the profile picture icon at the top and select “Account.”
- Scroll down and expand the profile that has the history you want to clear.
- Click on “Viewing activity.”
- You will see your viewing activity for the selected profile. Click on the Hide icon next to the title you want to remove from your profile.
- Alternatively, scroll down and click “Hide all” to remove all titles from your profile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my own photo as my Netflix profile picture?
No. You will have to choose a picture from the gallery offered by Netflix. However, specific third-party browser extensions, like Custom profile picture for Netflix, let you set a custom profile picture.
Can locked profiles be deleted?
Yes, you can easily delete a locked profile using any of the above methods.
All images and screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox