Do you often spend too much time browsing the Chrome Web Store for the perfect theme? Is it hard for you to find a theme that you really like, or one that still looks decent once applied to your browser?
If you’re really picky like me, it makes more sense to just create your own Chrome theme. Doing this doesn’t have to be a long or difficult process (like you may think it is); you can quickly and easily create your own Chrome theme using the My Chrome Theme app. Additionally, you can also share your design with the world for them to use as well.
Here’s how to create your very own Google Chrome theme in a matter of minutes.
Creating Your Theme
1. Install the My Chrome Theme app from the Chrome Web Store.
2. Go to your New Tab page to launch the application. On the new page that opens, click on the blue “start making theme” button.
3. On the next page, you’ll need to import an image to be used as the background on the New Tab page. You can either upload an image from your computer, or use your webcam (if you have one) to take a picture.
4. Your image will immediately show in the mock browser on the page. From there, you can adjust the position of the image (fit to screen, fill screen, tile image, or custom), add effects (black and white, sepia, polarized, inverted, etc), or upload a new image.
5. The next step is all about colors; you’ll see three different pins on the page, which represent the three different areas that you can customize. You’ll be able to choose a single color for the browser toolbar, background tabs, and the browser’s frame.
As you select a color, it will instantly change on the mock browser, so that you can exactly how it will look with your background. Note: You can’t use the same color twice; each section must have a unique color.
6. If you’re not sure what colors to use or you’re in a hurry, you can click on “I’m Feeling Lucky” to automatically add colors to your theme.
7. Finally, the last step is to give your theme a name and an optional description, and then click on the “make my theme” button.
Using and Sharing Your Theme
On the last page, you’ll be able to install your theme. This works just as you’d expect – like any other Chrome theme that you install. Click on “install my theme,” then click on the “add” button once the Chrome alert message pops up asking if you want to add it to your browser.
You can also share your theme for others to view and/or use if they’d like. You’ll get a unique link that you can share on your social networks, via email, on IM, etc. There is also a Google+ button right next to the URL, making it easy to share with your Google+ circles.
This is what others will see, when they go to your unique URL:
Once you start over, or whenever you reopen the app, you’ll see your custom themes displayed at the bottom of the page for easy access. This way, you’ll never lose track of the themes that you’ve created.
As you can see, My Chrome Theme is a fun and easy way to create your very own theme for Google Chrome. Whether you want to personalize your browser or create themes for others to use, this app is the perfect tool for the job.
If you’d like to install the theme that I create (pictured above), just click on “unique link” above. If you decide to create your own, be sure to share it with us in the comments.