Even though Apple Maps has been around for many years, it took some time to get to the point of offering a complete set of highly advanced features. Still, it’s never a bad idea to go back to basics, especially if you’re just getting started with this mapping solution. With that said, we’ll talk about how to drop a pin in Apple Maps on iPhone.
Keep in mind that dropping a pin in Apple Maps lets you do multiple things. In addition to providing more precise directions, you can use that functionality to share a location with someone, save your favorite locations, and more. So, here’s everything you need to know.
The Quickest Way to Drop a Pin in Apple Maps on iPhone
1. Launch the Maps app on your iPhone. You should see your current location highlighted, indicated by a blue pin. However, even if you don’t see it, there’s nothing to worry about;, as dropping a pin can be done anytime, anywhere.
2. Now, navigate to the approximate location of where you want to drop a pin in Apple Maps. Feel free to move around by swiping with a single finger across the screen. You can also zoom in or out by pinching your device’s screen. Then, tap and hold on any area.
3. After a few moments, a red-colored pin will appear. At that same time, you will also see a new set of options appear at the bottom of your screen. You need to tap on “Edit Location.”
4. A satellite image of the selected location will now appear. Feel free to move around and reposition your pin. (You can be quite precise when dropping a pin in Apple Maps.)
5. Finally, once you are happy with the chosen location, tap on “Done.” At this moment, you will return to the main screen of Apple Maps.
That’s it! You have just learned how to drop a pin in Apple Maps on your iPhone. However, keep on reading to learn a couple of more actions related to dropping a pin, all of which will come in handy at some point.
What to Do After Dropping a Pin in Apple Maps
Next, we’ll show you how to get directions based on the dropped pin location, how to share your location, and more.
1. Once you drop a pin in Apple Maps, take a look at the bottom of the screen. To get directions to the chosen location, tap on “Directions.” The app will calculate the possible routes, so swipe up to reveal all of them. Once you choose one, tap on the green-colored “Go” icon.
2. To add a dropped pin to a contact (both new or existing), swipe up from the bottom of your screen. Then, select either “Create New Contact” or “Add to Existing Contact.” Pick a contact or create one, and Apple Maps will associate the chosen location with the chosen contact. You can now use Siri to get quick directions to your friends.
3. To add the chosen location to your list of favorites, swipe up from the bottom of the screen. Then, tap on “Add to Favorites.” Remember that you can always access your favorites from the Maps’ home screen. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and you’ll see a row of your favorite locations. Tap on one, and you access more information along with possible driving, biking, or walking routes.
Now that you’ve learned how to drop a pin in Apple Maps on iPhone, if you’d like to learn more about the app, we have some useful resources for you. First, here’s how to use Apple Maps to find places that accept Apple Pay. Also, see our overview of the most useful Apple Maps tricks you may not know.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox