How can you download Instagram Reels? If this is a question surfacing in your mind, then you are in the right place. In this guide, we show you several methods to download Instagram Reels and save them offline. These will work on both Android and iOS, but only for Reels that don’t belong to private accounts.
- 1. Download Instagram Reels With Online Tools (Android, iOS, Web)
- 2. Download Instagram Reels With a Third-Party App (Android, iOS)
- 3. Bookmark Instagram Reels (Android, iOS)
- 4. Download Instagram Reels via Stories (Android, iOS)
- 5. Download Instagram Reels With Screen Recorder (Android, iOS, Web)
- 6. Download Your Own Instagram Reels (Android, iOS)
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Download Instagram Reels With Online Tools (Android, iOS, Web)
There are several online tools that help you download Instagram Reels without the need to install an app or software. These services also let you save the videos without any watermark or restrictions.
Here are some of the best online tools for downloading Reels, which you can access on your mobile device or PC.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we’re showing you how to download a Reel using InDown.
- Open the Instagram Reel you want to download on your mobile device.
- Tap on the three-dot icon in the lower-right corner of the display.
- Tap the link icon to copy the link.
- Open the InDown website in your browser.
- Tap on the “Reels” tab within the website and paste the copied Reels link in the appropriate box, then press on “Search.”
- Hit the blue “Download” button and wait for the processing to complete. Once done, you will be shown a preview of the video and a big download button. Tap on it, and you will have successfully downloaded an Instagram Reels video on your mobile device (or PC).
One big downside of this method is that these sites are riddled with ads on mobile, making it quite annoying to use them. The same goes for the second method we’re going to cover so if you don’t want that, you can skip to the other options included in the tutorial.
2. Download Instagram Reels With a Third-Party App (Android, iOS)
There are several available apps that help you download Instagram Reels videos. Such apps also negate the need to open a website every time you want to download a Reel. Choose from any of these popular Android and iOS apps for downloading Reels:
- Reels Video Downloader for Instagram (Android)
- Video Downloader for Instagram by ETM (Android)
- Video Downloader for Instagram by DevBay (Android)
- Instant Save (iOS)
- InSaver (iOS)
For the purpose of this tutorial, we’ll demonstrate using the third app on the list.
- Copy the Instagram Reels link you wish to download as we showed you above.
- Open the app on your Android phone. It will automatically pick up the link from your clipboard, so you won’t have to do much here except press the “Download” button.
- Revert to the “Download” tab at the bottom to view and play your downloaded videos. You can share or repost them from there.
3. Bookmark Instagram Reels (Android, iOS)
If you just wish to save an Instagram Reel for future use instead of downloading it, simply bookmark the Reel. However, this means you won’t have the Reel on your mobile device. It will be stored on Instagram, so if the poster decides to delete it, it will be gone for good.
- Open the Instagram Reel you wish to save.
- Click on the three-dot menu on the right.
- Hit the “Save” button from the list of options.
- Afterwards, to find the Reels you’ve saved, navigate to your profile and tap on the three-bar icon in the upper-right corner and select “Saved.”
- Tap on “All Posts” to see everything you’ve saved so far.
4. Download Instagram Reels via Stories (Android, iOS)
A simple yet useful hack that does not require any additional app or tool is to download Instagram Reels via Stories.
- Open the Instagram Reels video and tap on the “Send” icon.
- Select the “Add Reel to your story” option.
- If you wish to download the video in full screen, pinch and zoom the preview to fill the screen.
- Once done, tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner and select “Save.”
Tip: By the way, if you love doing Stories daily, it might be handy to know how to delete one photo from your Story on Instagram.
5. Download Instagram Reels With Screen Recorder (Android, iOS, Web)
Another option for those who want to have their favorite Reels on their device is to use Android or iOS’ built-in screen recording feature. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Open a Reel you’d like to save.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap on the “Screen Recorder” toggle from the Quick Menu. You might have to swipe left once to find it.
- Look for the tiny bar with a red dot that has been overlaid over your video. Press the dot to start recording.
- Wait until the Reel plays out, then press the white square to finish and save the recording to your phone.
- You’ll find the result in the “Screen Recorder” folder.
- Open a Reel.
- Open Control Center and press the “Record” button to start recording. (If the button isn’t visible, display it via “Settings -> Control Center.”)
- Notice the red band at the top while your phone is recording your screen.
- To finish the recording, tap on the red “Record” button at the top of your display.
You can also use a screen recorder program for Mac or Windows, or an extension such as Loom to record your screen while viewing an Instagram Reel on your PC.
6. Download Your Own Instagram Reels (Android, iOS)
Instagram offers you the option to download both your published and unpublished Reels to your device. While Instagram can automatically save the photos and videos you share as posts, it won’t save Reels the same way, so you’ll have to save Reels manually if you want to keep them for later.
- If you’ve already published the Reel, open it.
- Tap on the three-dot icon in the lower-right corner of the display.
- Select “Save to your device.”
- If you’re simply playing with an effect or trying something out, and you have no intention of posting this Reel, you can still save the resulting video – press “Preview” in video creation mode.
- Then on the next screen hit the “Save” button at the top. Voila, your unpublished Reel has been saved.
Frequently Asked Questions
I downloaded a Reel but it has no sound. What went wrong?
If the Reel you’ve downloaded doesn’t have sound, it might be due to a glitch. You should also double-check if the Reel does indeed have sound but has been muted. If the sound still isn’t working, try one of the alternative download methods.
Where are downloaded Reels stored?
Downloaded Reels usually end up in your Downloads folder on your mobile phone. You can access them via your default file manager. Depending on your phone model, you might be asked where you’d like to save the Reels you’re about to download.
If you’re using the Instagram Story method, your Reels will end up in your Gallery in the Instagram folder. However, if you go for the Screen recorder option, you’ll need to search for the folder with the same name in the Gallery app.
Can I download the Reels I've saved to draft?
Yes, you can. Go to your profile and press the Reel icon above the photo grid. You’ll find your drafts there. Tap on the one you wish to save and then select “Edit.” From there you can use the “Save” button at the top.
Image credit: Freepik All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox