Did you happen to notice a user with an interesting profile picture on Discord? Perhaps you’d like to add it to your image gallery or take a better look at it. Unfortunately, Discord doesn’t natively allow you to enlarge profile pictures, just as Instagram doesn’t. This tutorial shows you how, with the help of a few workarounds, you can view users’ profile pictures up close and download them to your computer or mobile device.
1. With Inspect Element
If you’re using Discord on your PC, follow these steps to enlarge someone’s profile picture.
- Open Chrome on your computer and navigate to discord.com in your browser.
- Navigate to a channel and find a user with an interesting profile picture.
- Right-click on their name and select “Profile” form the drop-down menu.
- You’ll be taken to their profile where their picture is a bit larger but still not big enough. Notice that you can’t right-click on it either.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + I to open “Inspect Element” in your browser. It will open on the right side of the screen.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + C or click on the selector icon in the “Inspect Element” area.
- Make sure you click on the user’s profile pic.
- You will see a piece of code highlighted on the right.
- Move your mouse over to the right side and press on the arrow next to
<div>in the highlighted area.
- Press on the arrow next to the
<svg>that appears underneath, then on
<foreignObject>and lastly on
- You’ll find the link to the image in the
<img src>field. Copy the link by double-clicking on it, then paste it in a new browser window.
- You will be able to see the image in your browser. The only problem is that the pic will still appear small. Fortunately, you can enlarge it right from your browser. Just change the size from 160 to 1024 or 2048.
- The picture will now appear enlarged. Depending on the original picture, it will look more or less blurry. You can right click on it and select “Save As” to save it to your PC.
2. Take Advantage of Chrome’s Build-in Google Lens Function
An alternative method to get your hands on a user’s profile picture is to use Chrome’s new built-in Google Lens functionality. This way, you’ll be able to find similar images, and of you’re lucky, even the image itself on the Web. Of course, this won’t work with profile pictures that show the user’s original content.
- Open Chrome and navigate to a channel where you can find someone with an interesting profile picture.
- Click on their username to bring up their profile card.
- Right-click on their profile picture.
- Select the “Search images with Google Lens” option.
- You will need to highlight the avatar using your mouse.
- A new window will open on the right side of the display showing you the results of the search.
- As you can see in our example, Google Lens has managed to identify the image, as a still from Pixar’s new “Turning Red” animation.
- Now you can go ahead and create a similar screenshot of the character in question and save it to your PC.
3. Use a Bot
Using a Bot is another way you can enlarge and save other people’s profile pictures. However, this option is limited to only servers where these bots have been added. Not all bots can help you view users’ profile pictures, only a select few. These include:
Note that this method works whether you’re using Discord on your PC or mobile. The steps are quite similar in both cases.
You should start the process by checking to see if the server where the person with the cool profile pic is has the right bot(s) installed. Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the user list to see all the bots available for a certain server.
In our case, we noticed the server is using the Dyno bot. Keep in mind that most servers have a special bot channel where you can go to execute commands.
- In this example, we navigated to the “#bot-commands” channel.
- From here, we used the appropriate syntax for the bot: which is
/whois member:to request a user’s info from the bot.
- Dyno immediately replied with all the data. From here you can click on a user’s profile picture, which will show it to you in great detail.
- If you want an even larger version, click on “Open Original.”
Adding Bots to Your Own Server
Now, if you’re on a server that doesn’t use any of these bots, you may be out of luck. Chances are you won’t be able to add the bots yourself, as you need certain permissions, such as “Manage Server” or Administrator to do so. However, if you own a server, it might be useful to know how to add a bot that can help you enlarge and download users’ profile pics.
- Navigate to a bot library site, such as Top.gg.
- Browse or use the search bar at the top to look for a specific bot.
- Press the “Invite” button to get it to your server.
- From there, you need to press “Continue” and follow the indicated steps to add the bot to your server.
- Once you’ve added the bot, you’ll need to use a certain syntax which differs from bot to bot. You’ll need to check on the respective websites to see how to approach this.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I also enlarge and save avatars that are GIFs?
Yes, you can by employing either the first or third method above.
2. How can I create my own bot?
If you don’t like the options that are available for you, you can create a bot. The process isn’t super simple, but we have a guide that details all the steps to make your own Discord bot.
3. How do I get my own cool avatar?
Discord lets you use just about any picture or GIF as your avatar, so the options are endless. However, there are specific websites that offer pre-made options, such as Discord Avatars and Icon Archive. Alternatively, if you wish to get a little creative, try the Discord Avatar Maker website that allows you to create fun and colorful avatars for Discord.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox