Looking to start 2021 with less social media apps on your phone? Perhaps you’re finally ready to give up on Snapchat and reuse the time you usually spent on the app for something more productive. So how do you make your Snapchat account disappear forever? Here we show you how to delete your Snapchat account.
Before Deleting Your Account
Deleting your Snapchat account means that your personal settings, friends, Snaps, chats, stories, device data and location data will be deleted from Snapchat’s database.
However, if you want to keep some of that stuff, you can go ahead and download your data before you proceed to fully deleting your account. This information includes account data, Snap history, chat history, user profile, friends, search history, Bitmoji, subscriptions and more.
To download your data, follow these steps:
1. Go to Snapchat’s Accounts Portal.
2. Log in with your credentials.
3. Click “My data.”
4. Click “Submit request.”
If you have a verified email address with Snapchat, you’ll receive an email containing a link once your data is ready to be downloaded. It will arrive in the form of a ZIP file. Note that the whole process could take some time, and until you receive the email, you won’t be able to delete your account.
How to Delete Your Snapchat Account
You can delete your Snapchat account either from your mobile phone or desktop. If you’re away from your mobile device, don’t worry, as you can erase your Snapchat from your PC.
1. Go to Snapchat’s Accounts Portal and log in with your name and password.
2. Select the “Delete My Account” option.
3. You’ll be taken to the Delete Account page directly.
4. Retype your password once more.
5. Click on the yellow Continue button.
That’s it! You’re done, your Snapchat account will be deleted soon.
Do keep in mind that Snapchat will hold on to your data for another 30 days, just in case you change your mind and decide to return. If you do decide to come back, all you need to do is visit the Accounts Portal again and log in to your account. This will reactivate your account.
While your account is in this “deactivated” phase, your friends will not be able to contact you or interact with you in any manner on Snapchat. After the 30-day period has elapsed, your account will be permanently deleted.
Delete Snapshot on Mobile
If you prefer, you can use your mobile to delete your Snapchat account. But just deleting the app from your phone won’t do.
1. Open the Snapchat app on your phone.
2. Tap on your avatar picture in the upper-left corner.
3. Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner.
4. This action will open Settings. Scroll down until you find the Support section.
5. Select “I Need Help.”
6. Tap on “My Account and Security.”
7. From the menu that appears, select “Account Information.”
8. Tap on “Delete My Account.”
9. From there, tap on the link to the Accounts Portal.
10. You’ll be taken to the Delete Account page.
11. Just enter your password and select the Continue button.
12. That’s it! Your account will soon be deleted.
Taking a break from social apps is a good thing, but that doesn’t mean you should completely remove them from your life. Moderate use is the key, so perhaps you’d like to learn how to spend less time on YouTube or how to set up Bedtime Mode on your Android device so that you can have a good night’s sleep.