Been using Snapchat for a while and you’ve accumulated tons of messages, conversations, friends and more? Perhaps it’s time to do a little autumn cleaning. In this post, we show you how you can delete anything from Snapchat, including your account – if you’re in the mood to take a break from social media.
How to Delete Messages in Snapchat
Snapchat has been nicknamed the “ephemeral messaging app” – and with good reason. By default, all messages you send to someone will be deleted after viewing. You can tweak that setting and keep your messages for 24 hours, but they will still eventually be erased. Follow the instructions below:
- Open a chat with a friend in Snapchat.
- You’ll notice that while the chat window is empty, there’s a message written with a tiny font that says, “Chats with [name of friend] delete.”
- Tap on the drop-down menu below that to switch to deleting messages “24 hours after viewing.”
Bottom line: you don’t have to do anything to have your Snapchat messages deleted. Just use the app as you normally would, and it will take care of erasing them for you automatically.
For group chats, which can include up to 63 participants, the default limit for messages disappearing is 24 hours.
Note that Snapchat allows you and your chat partner to take screenshots of the conversations. You’ll get a notification when the other party does that.
How to Delete Saved Messages in Snapchat
In Snapchat you can opt to save important messages in your conversation. Once these texts are no longer of use to you, you can delete them for good. Follow the instructions below:
- Open a chat in Snapchat where you have saved some messages.
- Long-tap on a message you would like to get rid of until a small menu pops up.
- Select the Delete option.
- Alternatively, you can “Unsave in Chat” and let it linger a bit more (works if you’ve set the 24-hour timer for your ephemeral messages).
How to Clear a Conversation in Snapchat
Want to clear a conversation fast even if the 24 hours haven’t elapsed yet? Snapchat offers you an easy way to do it.
- Go to your Profile screen.
- Tap on the Gear icon in the upper-right corner to bring up Settings.
- Scroll down until you find Snapchat’s Privacy section. Select “Clear Conversation.”
- Select the conversation you want to clear from the list.
- Tap on the “X” button.
- Snapchat will ask if you are sure you want to clear the conversation. Confirm by pressing the Clear button.
The whole conversation will be deleted.
How to Remove Friends from Snapchat
Had enough of interacting with someone on Snapchat? You can easily remove them from your friend’s list on the app.
- Open up the Chat section in Snapchat.
- Find the person you wish to remove in the list of available chats and long tap on their name.
- This will bring up a menu of options from the bottom of the display. Select More.
- Tap the “Remove friend” option in red at the top.
Alternatively, you can also choose to Block or Report the friend for inappropriate behavior.
The chat with that friend should now disappear from the Chat section. You won’t be able to view that person in the Friends tab on your Profile either.
How to Remove a Snap from a Story
Snapchat allows you to add Snaps to your Stories, but what if you changed your mind about sharing a certain Snap? It’s no problem, as you can remove it quite swiftly.
- Head to your profile.
- Check out the My Stories section. Tap to view it, then swipe up.
- Tap on the Trash bin icon to delete it.
If you choose to keep your Story, it will be visible to your friends for 24 hours. After which, it will automatically self destruct.
Do you have multiple Stories? Simply select the one you want to delete and follow the steps above to get rid of it.
Are you looking to take a full break from Snapchat? Then it may be time to delete your Snapchat account for good.
Before Deleting Your Snapchat Account
Removing your Snapchat account means your personal settings, friends, Snaps, chats, Stories, device data and location data will be deleted from Snapchat’s database.
However, if you want to keep some of that stuff, you can go ahead and download your data before you fully delete your account. This information includes account data, Snap history, chat history, user profile, friends, search history, Bitmoji, subscriptions and more.
To download your data, follow these steps:
- Go to Snapchat’s Accounts Portal.
- Log in with your credentials.
- Click “My data.”
- Click “Submit request.”
If you have a verified email address with Snapchat, you’ll receive an email containing a link once your data is ready to be downloaded. It will arrive in the form of a ZIP file. Note that the whole process could take some time, and until you receive the email, you won’t be able to delete your account.
How to Delete Your Snapchat Account
You can delete your Snapchat account from your mobile phone or desktop. If you’re away from your mobile device, don’t worry, as you can erase your Snapchat from your PC.
- Go to Snapchat’s Accounts Portal and log in with your name and password.
- Select the “Delete My Account” option.
- You’ll be taken to the Delete Account page directly.
- Retype your password once more.
- Click on the yellow Continue button.
That’s it! You’re done, your Snapchat account will be deleted soon. Do keep in mind that Snapchat will hold on to your data for another 30 days, just in case you change your mind and decide to return.
While your account is in this “deactivated” phase, your friends will not be able to contact you or interact with you in any manner on Snapchat. After the 30-day period has elapsed, your account will be permanently deleted.
How to Delete Snapchat on Mobile
If you prefer, you can use your mobile to delete your Snapchat account. But just deleting the app from your phone won’t do.
- Open the Snapchat app on your phone.
- Tap on your avatar picture in the upper-left corner.
- Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner.
- This action will open Settings. Scroll down until you find the Support section.
- Select “I Need Help.”
- Tap on “My Account and Security.”
- From the menu that appears, select “Account Information.”
- Tap on “Delete My Account.”
- From there, tap on the link to the Accounts Portal.
- You’ll be taken to the Delete Account page.
- Just enter your password and select the Continue button.
- That’s it! Your account will soon be deleted.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can my account be instantly deleted?
No. You’ll have to wait 30 days until your account gets completely deleted along with all of your data.
2. Does Snapchat delete all my data once I decide to erase my account?
3. What if I change my mind about deleting my Snapchat account?
If you decide to go back within the 30-day window, all you need to do is visit the Accounts Portal again and log in to your account. This will reactivate your account. If more time has passed, you’ll have to reinstall the app and create a new account.
Taking a break from social apps is a good thing, but that doesn’t mean you should completely remove them from your life. Moderate use is the key, so perhaps you’d like to learn how to spend less time on YouTube or how to set up Bedtime Mode on your Android device so that you can have a good night’s sleep.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox