If you are trying to get rid of Instagram from your life, deleting the account would be your first thought. However, you don’t need to be so harsh. You can start by temporarily deactivating the account. But how do you delete or deactivate an Instagram account, and what’s the difference between the two options? Find the answer here.
- Should You Delete or Deactivate Your Instagram Account?
- How to Delete Your Instagram Account on Desktop and Mobile
- How to Deactivate Instagram on Desktop
- How to Deactivate Instagram on Mobile
- How to Download Instagram Data on Desktop
- How to Download Instagram Data on Mobile
- How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternative to Deleting or Deactivating Instagram
Should You Delete or Deactivate Your Instagram Account?
Deactivation is a temporary process to disable and hide your profile without deleting any data permanently. Deactivate your Instagram account when you want to take a temporary break from Instagram.
On the other hand, deletion is permanent and will disable your account and remove your data from the server forever.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account on Desktop and Mobile
Deleting your Instagram account is only possible from a mobile browser or desktop. The feature isn’t available on the Instagram app.
Follow these steps to delete an Instagram account:
1. On your desktop or mobile, open this link in your browser. There isn’t an option to delete the account in your profile settings, so you’ll have to do it through this direct link.
2. Log in to the account you want to delete.
3. Choose an appropriate reason for deleting the account from the drop-down menu.
4. Once you do that, enter your account’s password and click or tap on the “Delete [username]” button to confirm the deletion.
How to Deactivate Instagram on Desktop
If you plan to deactivate your Instagram account instead, follow these steps. Do note that you can deactivate the account only from a computer or mobile browser.
1. Log in to your Instagram account.
2. Click on the profile picture icon at the top-right corner and select “Settings” from the menu.
3. Scroll down and click on “Temporarily disable my account.” If you don’t find it, make sure to click on the Edit profile tab from the left sidebar. Alternatively, use the direct link for account deactivation.
4. Enter the reason for disabling the account in the drop-down menu and the password for your account and click on “Temporarily disable account.”
How to Deactivate Instagram on Mobile
1. Open Instagram.com from your mobile browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.) and sign in.
2. Tap on the profile picture icon at the bottom and click on the “Edit profile” button.
3. Scroll down and tap on “Temporarily disable my account.”
What Happens to Your Profile, Photos/Videos, Likes, Comments, and Tags
Deactivating the Instagram account hides your profile so that it will not appear in search results or when tagged. All your Instagram data including published posts (photos and videos), stories, Reels, saved posts, likes, and comments will be safe when you deactivate the account.
On the other hand, deleting your Instagram account will erase your data from the servers. You can download your data for safekeeping before you delete your account.
What Happens to Followers and Following Lists
Your Followers and Following lists will remain untouched in the case of deactivating the account. But when you delete the account, you will lose your followers. You will have to start from scratch and follow people again if you decided to restart your account.
What Happens to Instagram Direct Messages
Your Instagram messages will be preserved after deactivation. The other person can still access them in their inbox and you will be able to as well after reactivating the account. On the contrary, deleting your account will remove the messages for you, but the other person will still be able to see and read them.
What Happens to Your Instagram Username
Your username is protected, and no one can use it while your account is deactivated. Reactivating the account will assign the same username to your profile.
However, deleting the account will free up your username. If you decide to create a new Instagram account, using the old username is possible only if it hasn’t been used by someone else.
How to Download Instagram Data on Desktop
1. Log in to Instagram.com.
2. Click on the profile picture icon and select “Settings.”
3. Click on “Privacy and security” in the left sidebar.
4. Scroll down and click on “Request download.”
5. Enter your email address to receive the data and select the data format. Hit on the “Next” button.
6. Enter your Instagram password and click on “Request Download.”
Instagram may take up to 24 hours to email the data. When you receive the email, download the file.
How to Download Instagram Data on Mobile
1. In your Instagram app, tap on the profile picture icon at the bottom to go to the profile screen.
2. Tap on the hamburger icon and select “Settings” from the menu.
3. Go to “Security → Download data.”
4. Enter your email address to get a copy of your shared data, then verify your password.
On the mobile browser, open the profile screen. Tap on the Settings icon in the top-left corner. Go to “Privacy and security → Request download.” Enter your email address and password to receive the data via email.
How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
Sign in to Instagram with your old username and password. That will reactivate your Instagram account.
Deleted accounts cannot be reactivated. However, Instagram gives you a grace period of 30 days from the date of submitting your deletion request during which you can cancel the request.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many times can I deactivate my Instagram account?
There is no limit to the number of times you can deactivate the account. However, you can do it only once a week.
2. How long can I keep my Instagram account deactivated?
You can keep the account deactivated for as long as you want.
Alternative to Deleting or Deactivating Instagram
Deactivating or deleting your account are two ways to hide your account. But there are other ways to prevent others from seeing your profile. You can also hide likes on Instagram. In the case of someone harassing you, try blocking them. If you decide to pull the plug after all, know that you can still view content, even without an Instagram account.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox