Crop and trim are often used interchangeably concerning video, when in reality, they are different actions. Cropping refers to reducing the height or width of a video. On the other hand, when we want to shorten a video’s duration, it is trimmed. Here we take a look at how to crop and trim a video on Android and iPhone.
How to Crop a Video on Android
Crop Video on Android Using Google Photos App
Google Photos has built-in video editor capabilities that allow you to crop videos on Android. This preinstalled on most Android phones, but if you don’t have it, you can install it from the Play Store.
1. Launch the Google Photos app and open the video you want to crop.
2. Tap on the “Edit” button to go to the editing screen.
3. Tap on the “Crop” option.
4. By default, the free-form crop editor will open. Crop the video to the desired size. To use a standard aspect ratio, tap on the Aspect ratio icon and select the ratio of your choice.
5. When you are satisfied with the results, tap on the “Save copy” button to export the cropped video.
Crop Video on Android Using InShot App
You can use any video editor to crop your video as long as it supports the cropping feature. Here, we’re using the InShot video editor to illustrate the process.
1. Install and open the InShot Video Editor on your Android phone.
2. Tap on the “Video” button and hit the “New” option.
3. Select the video you want to crop.
4. Scroll through the list of tabs under the video and tap on the “Crop” option. You can either crop freely by dragging the corners or select from a standard aspect ratio available at the bottom.
How to Trim a Video on Android
Trim Video on Android Using Google Photos App
1. Open the video in the Google Photos app.
2. Tap on the Edit button.
3. You will see a video preview slider under the main video. Drag the edges of the slider to trim the video as desired.
4. Hit the “Save copy” button to export the video to your phone’s gallery.
Trim Video on Android Using Samsung Gallery
If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, its native Gallery app can be used to trim videos as well.
1. Open the desired video in the Samsung Gallery app.
2. Tap on the Edit icon.
3. On the next screen, adjust the position edges of the slider to the desired portion of the video.
4. Tap on “Save” to export the trimmed video.
Trim Video on Android Using InShot
1. Open the video in the app.
2. Tap on the video preview at the bottom.
3. Drag the edges of the slider to the desired portin of the video.
4. Tap on the “Save” button to download the video.
How to Crop a Video on iPhone
Crop a Video Using Apple Photos App
1. Open the video in the Photos app.
2. Tap on the “Edit” button to enter editing mode.
3. Tap on the Crop icon.
4. Crop the height and width of your video keeping the area that is desired within the frame.
5. Tap on the Aspect ratio button at the top if you want to crop according to a standard aspect ratio size.
6. Hit the “Done” button to save the video. You can either save the video as a new clip or save it by replacing the existing clip.
Fortunately, if you want to go back to the original video at any point, you can open the edited video, hit the “Edit” button, and tap on “Revert.”
Crop a Video Using VN App
1. Install and open the VN Video Editor on your iPhone.
2. Load the video by selecting the New project option.
3. From the list of the tabs at the bottom, tap on “Crop.” Choose a standard crop size from the available options or crop the video manually by adjusting the corners of the video.
4. Hit the checkmark icon, then tap on the Share icon to save the video.
How to Trim a Video on iPhone
Trim a Video Using Apple Photos App
1. Launch the Apple Photos app and select the video.
2. Hit the “Edit” option to start editing.
3. Drag the edges of the video preview slider to the desired video length.
4. Save the video by tapping “Done.” Select either “Save as new video” (as a copy) or “Save video” (to overwrite the existing file).
Trim a Video on iPhone Using VN Video Editor
1. Open the video in the VN app.
2. Tap on the video preview slider at the bottom.
3. Drag the edges of the yellow slider to the desired video length.
4. Tap anywhere on the screen and hit the Share button to download the video.
Alternatively, tap on the “Trim” option at the bottom and choose from the available video durations.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will cropping or trimming affect the quality of a video?
Cropping and trimming videos impacts what you see on the screen and the duration of the video, but they should have no effect on the video’s quality – at least nothing noticeable. When you change the video resolution or compress the video, then you’ll experience a loss in quality.
2. What does splitting a video mean?
Splitting a video means breaking up a longer video into several shorter individual video clips.
Social media apps like WhatsApp, Telegram, etc., also let you trim videos while sending them. However, they don’t let you save the videos directly to your phone. That’s where the above methods prove useful.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox