The typical way of adding people to WhatsApp groups is restrictive in nature. You cannot add people who aren’t in your contacts. That’s where adding them via group links can help. Group links can be shared with anyone, thus also increasing the reach of your group. Let’s see how to create a WhatsApp group link on Android, iPhone, and PC.
How do Group Links Work on WhatsApp
Before we jump to the steps, it’s vital to know a few important things about the WhatsApp group link.
- You need to be the admin of the group to get the group link. A regular member cannot create a group link. However, if the admin has shared the group link in the group, other members can forward it.
- The group link isn’t permanent. An admin can reset it anytime and create a new link. The old link will become nonfunctional.
- You can share group links within or outside of WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp group links can be forwarded to anyone, so be careful while sharing them. For instance, if you share a group’s link with one of your friends, they can share it with more people. Those people can join your group without any additional approval from your end.
- People who join a group using its link will not be able to see the past group messages.
Create WhatsApp Group Link on Android
1. Open the WhatsApp group whose link you want to create and share. Make sure you have admin rights.
2. Tap on the group’s name at the top. You will reach the group info screen.
3. Scroll down and tap on “Invite via link” under the Participants section.
4. You will see the group link and various options related to group invites. Tap on Send link via WhatsApp if you want to share the link with your WhatsApp contacts. To share outside of WhatsApp, tap on the “Copy link” and paste it into the required app.
Alternatively, tap on the “Share link” button and select the app where you want to share the group link. You can also create a QR code for the group link. Lastly, if your group’s link has reached the hands of the wrong people, you can reset it via “Reset link.”
Create WhatsApp Group Link on iPhone
1. Open the WhatsApp group from which you want to get the group link. As mentioned previously, you have to be the group admin to get the group link.
2. Tap on the group name at the top. Alternatively, swipe left on the group’s name in the chat list and tap on “More -> Group info.”
3. You will see various group settings. Tap on the “Invite to Group via link” option at the bottom. You will be taken to the screen where you can copy, share, or reset a group link. Tap on “Share link” to send a a group link in WhatsApp or outside of it. You can also copy-paste the link in other apps or chats. Similarly, you can generate a QR code that you can print or share with others.
If you don’t want others to join your group using the link, you can disable it by tapping on “Reset link.”
Create WhatsApp Group Link on PC
1. Launch the WhatsApp web or desktop version on your computer.
2. Open the group whose link you want to generate.
3. Click on the group’s name. A window will slide open from the right side.
4. Click on “Invite to group via link” from the window. This will open various features related to group links. You will be able to send, copy, or reset links.
Groups are one of the coolest features of WhatsApp. You can chat with multiple people at a time, send high-quality photos and videos to them, and even do group video calls. Think you know everything about WhatsApp? Check out useful WhatsApp tricks you might have missed.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox