One of the most popular features on Spotify is creating playlists. There are over three-billion playlists created by listeners on the platform. In the past you have only been able to include music on the lists. Now Spotify has added the option of making playlists that include podcasts.
The Popularity of Podcasts
Podcasts are like Internet talk radio on demand. These audio files focus on almost any topic you can think of like entrepreneurship, sports, health, and hobbies. They let you listen to the content any time you have access to an Internet connection. Podcasts are becoming more and more popular. As of June 2019, there were 750,000 podcasts available with over 30 million episodes.
Being able to create a playlist of podcasts is a dream come true for those who are dedicated followers of many different podcasts.
With the ability to add podcasts to playlists, Spotify is making it possible to either binge-listen to your podcast episodes with no need to find the next episode or to have a combination of music and podcasts available. Create a playlist of multiple podcasts for listening when you are driving, on a long run, or working out.
Creating Podcast Playlists
As of this writing, you can only make the playlists with podcasts on your mobile device, but you can listen to the playlist on either mobile or desktop.
Here’s how to add the podcasts to a playlist on mobile.
1. Open Spotify on your mobile device.
2. Click in the search bar, and type in the name of a podcast or topic you would like to listen to.
3. Click on the search result that best fits your needs. (Tap Follow if you want the app to notify you of new episodes.)
4. Scroll down to see a list of the available episodes.
5. Click on the three dots next to the episode title you would like to add to the playlist.
6. Tap “Add to playlist.”
7. Either tap the playlist you want to add the episode to or create a new playlist by tapping the green “New playlist” button at the top.
To listen to the playlist, click the “Your library” button at the bottom of the main Spotify screen. Your playlist will be on the Music tab, not the Podcast tab. Tap the playlist you want to hear and enjoy.
Listen to Playlist on Desktop
You can also listen to these playlists on the desktop app, even though you cannot create them there. To listen on your computer, follow these steps:
1. Open the Spotify app.
2. Find the list of playlists on the left side of the screen.
3. Click on the playlist that contains the podcasts you want to listen to.
4. Click the green Play button.
On this screen you also have the option to share the playlist or to make it private or collaborative. Just click on the three dots next to the Play button.
On mobile, to find these playlist options click the three dots in the upper-right corner on the play screen. You will see the same choices.
The next time you are ready to hit the road for a long drive, try creating a podcast playlist to get the information you want without having to fiddle with any technology while driving.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox