If you share your computer with other members of your household, you will do well to enable different user profiles on your browser. Separate user profiles give each user access to their own extensions, settings, history, bookmarks, credit card information, and emails when they log on to the browser.
Up until recently, the best browser for using multiple profiles was Google Chrome. They were the first to add the function back in 2016. Other browsers added the feature, but they weren’t as intuitive as Chrome’s profiles feature.
Recently, though, the new Microsoft Edge came on the scene with a multiple profiles feature. Because it’s built on Chromium, the feature works similarly to the Chrome versions. So if you like using various profiles but would rather not use Google, you can use Edge.
How to create a new profile
You can create another profile for a family member or separate user profiles for personal use and work use, among other reasons for creating a new profile.
Here’s how to create a new user profile.
1. Click on the user profile icon in the top-right corner of Edge.
2. Select “Add a profile.”
3. Click the blue Add button.
4. A new Edge browser window will appear. This action will also create a new, blank user profile called “Profile 1” (or Profile 2 if you already have a profile called Profile 1).
5. If you have another Microsoft account, you can log into it on this screen.
6. To create a local account, close the box and click on the profile icon again.
7. Click “Manage profile settings.”
8. Click on the three dots next to the name of the new profile.
9. Select Edit.
10. Change the name of the profile and the icon if you want to personalize it.
11. Click Update.
You can also import browser data from another browser by clicking “Import browser data.”
If you want to be able to sync the information on this browser to other devices, you will need to create a Microsoft account for it. Otherwise, you can only use it on one computer. Doing this will also let you use other images for your user profile than the pre-made ones you use in a local account.
Switching between profiles
To switch between profiles, all you need to do is click on the profile icon and select the profile you want to work under.
You can also click “Browse as Guest” to switch to a temporary guest profile.
If you want to edit or delete user profiles in Edge, click the profile icon and then “Manage profile settings.” All your profiles will display on this page. If you choose to remove a local profile, know that you will not be able to recover any of your settings, history, or data. They will be gone forever.
Separate user profiles are a useful feature. In fact, you can use each profile without closing the others, so if you feel like taking a break from your work browser, you can switch to your personal profile and leave the other open in the background. That’s one way to have a little fun when work gets dull.