One of the major additions to iOS back in 2013 was location-based Reminders. This feature allows you to create location-aware reminders. You can set the app to send you an alert when entering/exiting a specific location, like your office. As useful as this is, many people are still unaware of how to set up and use geofencing in the Reminders app. You’ll learn in this article how to set up location-based reminders in iOS and macOS.
Location-Based Reminders in iOS
Before starting, make sure Location Services are turned to “On” on your device. To do this, open the Settings app and navigate to “Privacy -> Location Services.”
From here, make sure Location Services is turned on:
1. Open the Reminders app on your iPhone / iPad.
2. Type in a reminder that you want to set.
3. When typing in the reminder, you’ll see four icons above the keyboard. Tap on the arrow, which will open the Location menu.
4. You’ll see three options: “Arriving Home,” “Getting in Car” and “Custom.” The “Arriving Home” option will only be visible if you’ve set up your home’s location in the Maps app.
“Getting in Car” will set the app to alert you about the reminder whenever your device pairs with a car navigation system.
To create a custom-location based alert, select the “Custom” option. You’ll see two options. You can either set the “Current Location your device is at” for the reminder alert, or type in the name of the address, such as the name of a grocery store, for a custom location.
Once selected, you can increase/decrease the geofence (blue circle) by using the black dot and dragging it in/out. Similarly, you can choose for the reminder to alert you while either arriving or leaving the location.
Tap on Done, and you’re set. The app should automatically alert you regarding the reminder when you arrive/leave at the location selected.
Location-Based Reminders in macOS
To set a location-based reminder on your Mac, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Reminders app on your Mac and either create a new reminder or select an existing one.
2. Hover over the reminder with your cursor until you see the info icon, then click it.
Alternatively, you can also click on the “Add Location” button.
3. Check “At a location” in the remind me column, and type in the address where you want the app to remind you.
4. Set the checkbox for “Arriving” or “Leaving” as desired. If you get an access request, make sure the Reminders app can have access to Location Services by choosing “Allow.”
5. That’s it. Your location-based reminder is now set. Now when you arrive (or leave) the destination, the Reminders app should notify you with the reminder.
It is important to note that if you have iCloud on and Reminders synced across all your devices, you’ll be alerted on whatever device is available when you arrive at the location set for the reminder, no matter which device you used to set the alert. Thus, this handy feature can really help you across any of your Apple devices. Do note that this might not work with sub-tasks in Reminders.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox