Discord is a great place to express yourself, as the service allows you to create your own customized reactions. Does the standard emoji package seem way too bland to use? On Discord you can upload your own emoji and impress your friends. If you would like to know how you can get creative and add your own custom emoji to your Discord server, this guide walks you through the process.
- Custom Emoji Basics for Discord
- How to Create Your Custom Discord Emoji/Sticker
- How to Add the Custom Emoji/Sticker to your Discord Server on Desktop/Web
- How to Add the Custom Emoji/Sticker to your Discord Server on Mobile
- How to Create a Classic-Looking Custom Emoji for Discord
- Frequently Asked Questions
Custom Emoji Basics for Discord
You need to be either the server owner or have permission to manage enabled emoji to add a custom emoji in Discord. Those with permission can add up to 50 custom static emoji. Those with a Discord Nitro subscription ($9.99/month), get an additional 50 slots that can host animated emoji. In this case, however, both the sender and receiver will need Nitro in order to be able to view the animated emoji.
One more thing we should note: some of the emoji you’ll go on to create will end up looking a lot like stickers – but on a smaller scale. Technically, Discord does not allow you to upload your own stickers unless you’ve paid for a server boost. Even so, you can upload tiny stickers to the emoji slots.
How to Create Your Custom Discord Emoji/Sticker
The emoji you create needs to be at least two characters long and can only contain alphanumeric characters and underscores. Additionally, they can’t exceed 256KB in size. Follow the instructions below to create an emoji using an image.
- Pick an image you wish to use as an emoji and crop it to a 1:1 ratio. You can use any photo editing app or service you have at your disposal, such as Pixlr X, which you can access through your browser on your PC.
- In the same section, select “Size” and resize the image to 128 x 128 pixels.
- You may also remove the image’s background, if you wish, in a photo editing program or by using removebg – a popular website that offers this service for free.
- Save your creation on your device as a .PNG.
How to Add the Custom Emoji/Sticker to your Discord Server on Desktop/Web
Now that you have your custom emoji, you will have to get it into Discord. Follow the below instructions if you’re using the service’s desktop client.
- Go to your Discord server and click on the downward arrow in the top-left corner of the display next to the server’s name.
- Select “Server Settings.”
- Click on “Emoji.”
- Press the “Upload emoji” button on the right.
- Find the image you’ve just edited and upload it.
- You should see the emoji appear, as in the image below.
- You should set an alias for this emoji or a shortcut for easier access. Click on the field and input the combination. For instance, “girl.”
- Click Esc.
9. Doing this should take you back to the chat room. Press the emoji button in the lower-right corner.
- You should be able to see the new emoji. Click on it to embed it into the conversation.
- From here you can easily add more custom emoji. Just press the “+” button next to your first custom emoji.
- Alternatively, use the shortcut you’ve set in the Alias section to add the emoji to the conversation.
How to Add the Custom Emoji/Sticker to your Discord Server on Mobile
On mobile, the process of uploading your custom emoji/sticker is similar. You’ll have to prepare the image in advance – just like before. Again, use your preferred app to do so or use a quick editing program or a web app.
- Tap on your Server In the Discord app.
- Press the three dots in the upper-right corner next to the server’s name.
- Select Settings from the panel that pops up.
- Select Emoji.
- Tap the “Upload Emoji” button and add the image you wish to use as an emoji to Discord.
- You should now be able to see it in your Emoji list.
- To set an alias, tap on the three dots next to your Discord username.
Return to the conversation on your server. From there you can insert the emoji either by using the alias or by pressing the emoji button.
How to Create a Classic-Looking Custom Emoji for Discord
If you prefer the classic emoji look, don’t worry, as you can still get yourself some custom ones and dazzle your Discord friends. Just access a dedicated website that lets you to create new emoji by creating default ones such as Emoji.gg.
- Access the website in your browser.
- Click on the “Maker” option from the menu at the top.
- Use a base and add extra elements to it, such as brows, eyes and more to create your own expression.
- When you’re done, click on “Download PNG,” then go to Discord and follow the steps outlined above to upload your new emoji.
- You can also use the Explore tab and see the creations of other users. If you spot something you like, you can easily press the download button and use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I set up a Discord server?
We have a complete guide for newbies on how to do that to help you with that.
2. How can I make Discord even more personal?
You can try uploading animated emoji, although you’ll need a paid Nitro account for that. If you do have one, you can use GIFs, videos and even images to create an animated emoji.
3. Where can I find worthy Discord servers to join?
Keep in mind that you can’t send custom emoji in severs you do not own. If you’re looking for new severs, you’ll find one here: top Discord severs to join.
Perhaps you’d like to personalize your emoji in other apps as well. To this end, you may find our article on how to create custom stickers in Telegram useful. Also check out nine of the best apps and tools to create and edit GIFs.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox