As an alternative to WhatsApp, Telegram is rapidly growing in popularity, both as a messenger app and a social media platform. With this prestige comes a congested flow of information across your chat groups, family members, and friends. Fortunately, Telegram allows you to clear up this congestion by creating chat folders to organize your chat.
Learn how to create a Telegram chat folder with these easy steps.
Create Telegram Chat Folders
1. After opening the Telegram app, tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner.
2. Tap on “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
3. Lastly, tap on “Folders” to access Telegram’s chat folder organization feature.
4. Once you access Folders, you will be able to create chat channels in a similar way to organizing files on a desktop computer with File Explorer. Tap on “Create New Folder” to begin.
5. Here you will have three options: name the chat folder, include channels (Add Chats), or remove channels (Remove Chats). For example, if you want to create a chat folder that is specifically about cryptocurrency talk, name it so and include all the relevant people/groups that fall into that topic category.
6. Once you tap on “Create New Folder,” simply tap on the profile pictures of channels you wish to include. They will have green chec marks when selected.
7. Tap on the blue checkmark in the bottom-right corner to confirm the channel selection.
8. Lastly, appropriately name the chat folder so that you will know what it is about at a glance. You will notice that the name of the folder cannot be longer than 12 characters with spaces, so we went with “Crypto Chats” and then tapped on the “Save” button.
Likewise, if you later want to exclude channels, access the newly-created “Crypto Chats” folder and tap on “Excluded Chats.” This time, when you tap on channel profiles, you will exclude them from the chat folder.
The new chat folder will appear right next to your default “All Chats.” If you press its name longer, you can immediately edit it. Moreover, if you have multiple chat folders, you can swipe left or right to access them.
In the case you have multiple chat folders, a new option will appear once you press and hold on the chat folder name: “Reorder.” This is effectively a pin function so that the chat folder you want to see first appears right next to the default “All Chats.”
When you tap on “Reorder,” tap and hold the other chat folder and swipe it to the left or right, depending on where you want it. Once you are satisfied with the order of the chat folder, tap on “DONE.”
A New Level of Organization
This concludes the chat folder organization guide in Telegram. As you can tell, it is difficult to point to any other messenger app that offers the same level of such extensive customizability. With that in mind, don’t forget to check more Telegram tips to further fine-tune your experience.