In order to open a Pages document in the Microsoft Word app on your Windows PC, you first need to convert the document into the compatible format before you can open it. The default format of the Pages document is not compatible with MS Word, so these documents must first be converted into either “.docx” or “.doc” formats before they can be viewed using the Word app.
There are two ways to convert a Pages document to the Microsoft Word compatible format. The first way uses the Pages app itself. The second way uses the iCloud website to convert the document, and this does not require you to have a Mac.
Here are both of the ways for you to convert a Pages document to Microsoft Word format:
Using the Pages app to Convert a Document to MS Word Format
1. Double-click on the Pages document that you wish to convert, and it should launch in the Pages app.
2. When the document launches in Pages, click on the “File” menu and select “Export To” followed by “Word…”.
3. On the screen that follows, click on the “Word” tab. Click on “Advanced Options.”
From the format drop-down menu, choose the format that it is compatible with the Word version you are using on your PC. If you are using Word 1997-2004, then use the “.doc” format, othe raise use “.docx” whigh works with the latest version of the Word app.
Once that is done, click on “Next…” to move forward.
4. The following screen should ask you to enter a name for the exported file and the location where you wish to save it. Choose these settings according to your preferences, and then click on “Export.”
5. You should now see the exported Word file at the location you chose in the previous step.
The chosen Pages document is now available in the Microsoft Word format on your Mac.
In case you do not have access to a Mac to be able to use the export feature, you can use Apple’s iCloud website to convert a Pages document into the Word format. Here’s the procedure:
Using iCloud to Convert a Pages Document to Word Format
You must have an account on iCloud to be able to use the following guide.
In the following steps you will be uploading the Pages document to iCloud. However, iCloud will not accept a Pages-formatted document. You must first place the document in a ZIP archive and then upload the ZIP archive to iCloud.
1. Head over to the iCloud website and log in with your iCloud account.
2. Once you have logged in, click on “Pages” to launch the web-based Pages app.
3. When web-based Pages opens, drag your ZIP archive containing the Pages document and drop it onto the Pages interface. It will then be uploaded to your iCloud account.
4. Double-click on the uploaded document on the iCloud website to open it.
5. When the document opens, click on the Settings icon located on the top and select the option that says “Download a Copy…”
6. You will get a prompt asking what format you would like to download a copy of the document in. Click on “Word” to download the selected document in Word format.
7. iCloud should automatically convert the document into the MS Word format for you, and it will automatically be downloaded on your computer.
If you have some Pages documents that do not open in Word on your computer, the above guide should help you convert those documents so that they will work in Word.