Discord is a group-chatting app that originally targeted gamers but has evolved into a general use platform for various other communities. The app comes with many functionalities, including the ability to stream music from Spotify and show people what you’re listening too.
What’s more, you can even create a listening event and invite your friends. Here we show how you can connect Spotify to your Discord account on Android and desktop.
How to Connect Spotify to Discord on Android
Showing off your music taste on Discord for Android is super easy. You just have to connect your account to Spotify following these easy steps. Note that you have to have a Spotify Premium account for the setup to really work properly.
1. Open the Discord app on your Android device.
2. Swipe from the right part of the display to reveal your channels and direct messages, then tap on your profile picture in the bottom-right corner of the display.
3. Under “User Settings,” tap on Connections.
4. Tap on the “Add” button in the upper-right corner to add a new connection to your account.
5. Select the Spotify option from the list that appears.
6. A new window will open to allow you to log in to your Spotify account. You’ll also have to give Discord permission to connect.
7. Once you do that, your Spotify username will appear in Discord. From here, you can toggle on the “Display on profile” option, which is disabled by default.
8. There’s one more thing you need to do to ensure the setup works. Open your Spotify app on your device and tap on the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
9. Scroll down until you find the Playback section and toggle on the “Device broadcast status” option. This will allow Discord to see what you’re listening to.
10. Return to Discord. Now people on the Discord servers you’ve joined will be able to see what you’re listening to. If they get curious, they can use the “Play on Spotify” button to quickly give it a listen as well.
How to Connect Spotify to Discord on PC
If you prefer to use Discord on your PC, that’s fine – you can as easily connect it with Spotify. The steps vary a little bit here, but it’s nothing too complicated.
1. Open the Discord desktop client on your PC.
2. Click on the gear icon located in the left lower side of the display.
3. From “User Settings,” select “Connections.”
4. Select Spotify from the options that appear.
5. Allow Discord to view your Spotify account data by pressing the green Agree button.
6. That’s it, your Spotify account should appear in Discord.
7. The option to “Display Spotify as your status” is automatically toggled on, but you can go ahead and enable the “Display on profile” one too.
8. Like on mobile, your squad (or other people on the server) will be able to see whenever you’re listening to something on Spotify. The “Play on Spotify” button is still available here. However, with Discord for desktop, you can also create a listening party.
9. Pick a discord sever and check to see if you can spot a green play icon on top of the plus button in the bottom chat box. If you can, then you are good to go.
10. Click on the plus button and select the “Invite #room to Listen to Spotify” option.
11. You can add a message to encourage people to join your party, then click on “Send invite.”
12. Wait for the others to join you to start chatting and listening together.
Now that you know how to link Spotify to Discord, perhaps you’d like to learn a few more tricks for a superior chat experience. For instance, you can get up to speed on how to add bots to your Discord server or read about how to set up screen sharing on the chat app.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox