Is your WordPress blog running a little slow? Sometimes all you need to do is give it a quick cleaning and optimize the database. Just like with your computer and Web browsers, your WordPress database gets filled with unneeded files like drafts, revisions, and spam comments. Luckily, removing them is a piece of cake.
Let’s take a look at one of the easiest ways to clean up and optimize your WordPress database.
1. Although there are quite a few plugins available for this, we’re going to use the WP Clean Up plugin. From your blog dashboard, go to “Add New Plugin” and search for WP Clean Up.
2. After you’ve installed and activated the plugin, you’ll find it’s settings under your Settings menu.
3. This is where all of the magic happens. You’ll be able to see the types of data that can be deleted from your database: revisions, drafts, auto drafts, moderated comments, spam comments, trash comments.
4. Go through each one and delete the items that you want to get rid of. Alternately, you can just use the “Delete All” button.
5. Below that you can see each table in your database and how much space it’s taking up. Click on the “Optimize” button below it to clean and optimize your tables.
6. Once completed, if there was any optimization that could be done then you’ll know from the total KB number – it will be smaller.
You’ve just cleaned and optimized your WordPress database. Wasn’t that easy?
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox