Curious to see who’s been checking you out on TikTok? The video creation app has recently introduced a feature which allows you to see who has viewed your profile. However, this option is not on by default, and so you’ll need to enable it manually in the TikTok app before you can start seeing who viewed your profile. This tutorial shows you how to take advantage of the option as well as control who gets to see your profile.
How TikTok Profile Views Work
TikTok has been testing the feature since 2020, but they never did unleash it for the masses. The option made a comeback this year, though, and now users can once again see who viewed their profile on the social app.
Note that in order for TikTok to register your presence on someone’s profile page, you’ll need to be signed up with your own account on the app. On top of that, both people need to have “Profile views” enabled to show up in each other’s lists. It’s a two-way street, like “Activity Status” on Instagram or “Last Seen” on WhatsApp.
When the feature is enabled, TikTok will show you who has viewed you page in the last 30 days in chronological order. However, you won’t be able to see how often someone has visited your profile or the exact date they clicked on it.
TikTok won’t send notifications to alert you when you get a new profile view, so you will need to check to see who dropped by recently. But remember, you need to have the option turned on first. Continue reading to learn how to do that.
How to Enable Profile Views on TikTok
Before you do anything else, make sure you’ve updated your TikTok app. The option is relatively recent, so an outdated version may not give you access to it. Once you’ve taken care of that, follow the steps below to enable profile views for your TikTok account. Keep in mind that you can do this only from the TikTok app and on desktop from your browser.
- Open the TikTok app (Android | iOS) on your smartphone. For the purposes of this tutorial, we’re using the Android app.
- Tap on your profile icon in the lower-right corner.
- This will take you to your profile page. If your account is not set to “Private,” you should see a tiny eye-shaped icon next to the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner.
- Tap on the eye, and a new window will appear where you’ll be asked if you want to enable the feature. Press the “Turn on” button to proceed.
- Alternatively, if you can’t see the tiny eye icon, tap on the hamburger menu instead.
- Select “Settings and privacy” from the pop-up menu at the bottom.
- Choose “Privacy.”
- Swipe all the way to the bottom in the “Safety” section until you find “Profile views.”
- Tap on it and toggle the option on.
While TikTok does not send notifications when someone has viewed your profile, you’ll be able to tell at a glance that a user has dropped by, as the eye-shaped icon in the upper-right corner will turn to a small profile picture (of the person who viewed your profile).
How to Check Who Viewed Your Profile on TikTok
With the option enabled, you can check who viewed your profile in the last 30 days. If you just turned on the feature, you’ll need to wait a bit before you check.
- Open the TikTok app on your smartphone.
- Tap on the Profile icon in the lower-right corner as before.
- If you enabled the feature, tap on the little eye-shaped icon (next to the hamburger menu) to view your most recent visitors.
- You can opt to send them a shoutout directly from this list by hitting the “Message” button.
- Alternatively, you can turn the feature off quickly from this window.
- Tap on the Settings icon in the upper-right corner.
- Toggle the option off from the pop-up menu at the bottom.
Note: you won’t be able to see who viewed your profile if you access TikTok from your browser on your PC.
Control Who Can View Your Profile
If you’re not thrilled about the prospect of everyone viewing your profile, there are several steps you can take to prevent it.
Set Your Account to Private
Setting your account to private will prevent any user from checking out your profile and content you posted on your profile. You’ll have to manually accept their request to follow you, which you can easily ignore.
- Go to “Settings and privacy” just like we showed you above.
- Tap on “Privacy.”
- At the top, toggle on the “Private account” option to make your account private.
Block Specific People
Since TikTok doesn’t allow you to hide your profile from specific people, the only way to prevent them from checking out your profile is to block them. It’s a bit harsh, but if you really don’t want these folks stalking you, you can block them by following these steps:
- Find the person you want to block on TikTok.
- Visit their profile and tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner.
- Select the “Block” option from the pop-up window that appears.
- Confirm your choice, and the selected people won’t be able to view your profile or posts anymore.
How to View TikTok Profiles Anonymously
If you don’t want someone to know that you’re keeping tabs on them on TikTok, know that you can view profiles anonymously. There are two ways to go about that.
Turn off the Profile Views Feature
The easiest way to prevent someone from knowing you are viewing their profile is to turn off the Profile views option. This allows you to look at their profile without being spotted. However, a drawback to doing this is that you won’t be able to see who visited your profile. To prevent that, turn off the feature and check out the other person’s profile, then turn the feature back on before 30 days have elapsed, and you’ll reappear on their profile views history report.
Sign Out of Your Account
Fortunately, there’s a better way of doing things. TikTok lets you browse the app without problem even if you don’t have an account with the network, so take advantage of this. First, sign out of your account, then search for the profile you want to secretly view and do so anonymously. When you’re done, sign back in to your account again.
- In TikTok, go to “Settings and privacy.”
- Scroll all the way down until you find the “Log out” option and press it.
- Confirm that you want to log out of your account.
- Go back to the main TikTok page and press on the “Friends” icon.
- Use the search bar at the top to look for the person whose profile you want to view.
- Click on the person’s username to view their profile anonymously.
Note: you can also browse anonymously by opening TikTok in the browser on your PC.
Want More Info? Get TikTok Analytics
If you want to have access to more data regarding how many people you’re reaching with your content and see which of your videos are performing better, you can get TikTok Analytics for your account. Of course, this is an option that is recommended mostly for business accounts, but if you’re curious, you can upgrade to a business account. To do so, go to “Settings & privacy -> Manage account -> Switch to business account.”
However, TikTok Analytics doesn’t show you who viewed your profile or provide any additional info regarding individual followers. The tool is meant to provide a better understanding of your audience’s habits and preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I see who viewed my videos?
Unfortunately, you can’t see who viewed your videos. You can, however, see the number of views on each video, but you won’t be able to tell specifically who has viewed them. If someone liked or commented on your videos, however, you’ll know they’ve been watching your clips.
I can't see the "Profile views" option, what can I do?
First, verify that you’ve updated the app. If you’re running the latest version, ensure that your profile is not set to Private. If it is, you can’t see who viewed your profile. If that still doesn’t work, investigate whether parental controls have been activated for your TikTok account. If that’s the case, your profile is automatically set to Private, and you won’t have the option for “Profile views.” You can also try reinstalling the app to fix temporary glitches with TikTok.
Will others know that I turned on "Profile views"?
No. There’s nothing on your profile that would indicates you have the feature on.
Image credit: Freepik All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox