There is a good chance all of us have found ourselves in a position where our usernames on a gaming platform or social network no longer reflect who we are. We aren’t stuck with them, though, as most (not all) platforms allow us to change our usernames to something more reflective of who we are today. This comprehensive list will walk you through how to change your username on the largest gaming, music and social platforms.
- How to Change Your Spotify Username
- How to Change Your Twitch Username
- How to Change Your Twitter Username
- How to Change Your TikTok Username
- How to Change Your Instagram Username
- How to Change Your Pinterest Username
- How to Change Your Facebook Username
- Facebook Gaming
- How to Change Your YouTube Username
- How to Change Your Minecraft Username
- How to Change Your Roblox Username
- How to Change Your Steam Username
- How to Change Your Fortnite (and all Epic games) Username
- How to Change Your Discord Username
- How to Change Your Xbox Username
- How to Change Your PlayStation Username
- How to Change Your Google Stadia Username
- Nintendo Switch
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Change Your Spotify Username
You are unable to change your username in Spotify due to its ability to properly identify you on the network. Instead, you are able to change your display name, which shows on your profile, apps and playlists. To change your display name, follow the below instructions:
- Go to “Home -> Settings -> View Profile -> Edit Profile” and tap on your display name to change it.
- Once you have updated the name, tap on “Save.”
- Look for the downward-pointing arrow in the top-right corner for your settings and click on “Profile.”
- Edit the profile name and any other details, then click on “Save.”
How to Change Your Twitch Username
Twitch allows you to change your username once every 60 days. If you are changing your Twitch username, make sure you proactively communicate with your audience/followers so that they will know.
- Go to “Settings” at the top left of the screen, then “Account Settings -> Account -> Edit Profile -> Username/Display Name” and proceed to make any changes.
- Note that with a username change, your old username is put back into the available pool after six months, so someone else will be able to grab it.
- Head to Settings in the upper-right corner and click on “Settings -> Profile,” then look halfway down until you see “Username” and “Display name.”
- Note that, as with changing your username on mobile, your old username is put back into the available pool after six months, so someone else will be able to grab it.
How to Change Your Twitter Username
Your Twitter handle or username begins with the “@“ symbol and is completely unique to your account. It also appears as part of your profile URL: twitter.com/maketecheasier.
- Go to “Settings & Privacy -> Account -> Username,” then update your username.
- Once you change away from your existing name, it goes back into the available pool.
- Go to More (noted by three dots), then “Settings and privacy -> Your Account -> Account information -> Username.”
- Note that you may be asked to verify your password before proceeding.
How to Change Your TikTok Username
As TikTok continues to grow in popularity, grabbing the right username is becoming increasingly difficult. Fortunately, you can make a change.
- Inside the app, tap on “Profile -> Edit profile -> Username” and proceed to make any changes.
- TikTok adds a reminder similar to Twitter, indicating that changing your username also changes your profile link address. For example: TikTok.com/XYZ.
How to Change Your Instagram Username
Like TikTok, grabbing the right username on Instagram can be instrumental to building a brand, identifying your interests, etc. In other words, it’s pretty important to grab something good.
- On instagram.com, click on your profile image, then “Settings.” The settings window opens into your “Edit profile” screen where you can change your username.
- One nicety is that Instagram does allow you to change your username back to an older name within 14 days of a change.
- Go to your profile and tap on “Edit Profile.”
- Type in your new username and tap “Done” on the iPhone or “Submit” in the Android app.
How to Change Your Pinterest Username
Using your Pinterest username, you are creating a unique web address for your profile.
- Log in to your Pinterest account to locate the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner to find “Settings -> Username.”
- Type in your new username and click on “Save” when you are finished.
How to Change Your Facebook Username
On Facebook.com, changing your username is relatively easy. This username is essentially the web address for your profile. In other words, Facebook.com/maketecheasier where “maketecheasier” is the username.
- Locate the drop-down arrow in the top right of Facebook.com and select “Settings & Privacy -> Settings.”
- Click on Username, enter a new username, then confirm with your password.
- Click on “Save Changes” to finish the change.
To change your username or your Facebook Gaming page name/username, you need to be logged in as the page admin.
- On the left sidebar, locate “Edit Page Info,” then click on “General.”
- You have two options to change your Username inside the aptly titled “Username” box.
- If you get a green checkmark, the name is available; if not, you will need to try something different.
How to Change Your YouTube Username
Changing your channel name, aka your YouTube username, is very easy but does require you to be signed in to YouTube studio.
- From the left-side menu inside YouTube Studio, click on “Customization -> Basic Info” and update your channel name (username).
- Click on Publish to finalize.
How to Change Your Minecraft Username
It’s important to note that while you can change your Minecraft username, you can only do so only if your account is more than 30 days old and only once per every 30 days in general. It requires more than two characters and cannot have been used by someone else at any point in the past.
- Log in to www.mojang.com in your browser and click on “Account” at the top right of the page.
- Locate “Profile Name” near the middle of the page and click on “Change.”
- Select a new username, check its availability, and if available, enter your password, then select “Change name” right below the password box. You will have one week to change back to your old username.
- On the Minecraft home screen, tap on “Settings,” then look on the left side for “Profile.”
- Tap on “Change Gamertag” to go to your Microsoft account, then change your overall Xbox gamertag as indicated below in the “Xbox” section.
How to Change Your Roblox Username
In the world of username changes, Roblox is something of an anomaly in that they actually require money to make a change. More specifically, it requires in-game currency that is purchased with real dollars.
- Find the account settings by clicking the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the browser.
- Select “Account Info -> Change Username,” enter your new username, and verify with your Roblox account password.
- Find the account settings by tapping the three dots for “More.”
- Just as with the desktop, select “Account Info -> Change Username,” and enter your new username, and verify with your Roblox account password.
How to Change Your Steam Username
As far as Steam goes, it’s important to note that your Steam ID is separate from your display name. In this case, Steam notes that you cannot change your ID without opening a new Steam account.
- Change your player name by going to Profile Settings under the “Edit my Profile” page.
- Update your profile name to whatever you would like, then click “Save Changes.”
How to Change Your Fortnite (and all Epic games) Username
Changing your Fortnite username is definitely doable, but it’s actually a larger change, as it impacts your Epic Games account in its entirety.
- Head to the “Account Info” page and click on the blue pencil icon next to your display name.
- Choose your new username, verify it a second time, then confirm that the username can only be changed once every two weeks.
- Hit confirm to complete.
How to Change Your Discord Username
Assuming you are already logged in to your Discord account, changing your username is super easy.
- Click on your user settings tab (gear icon) inside the app or on your browser.
- Locate the “My Account” tab inside your user settings, then click on it to see the username line.
- Click on “Edit” to the right of your existing username. Verify with your password.
- Tap on the profile button at the bottom right of the screen, then on “Account.”
- Locate “Username,” tap on the option, then choose a new username.
- Tap on “Done” at the bottom when you are ready to finish.
How to Change Your Xbox Username
While it’s not necessarily a username, your gamer tag on Xbox is how other players can identify you, friend you, send you messages, etc. Note that your first gamertag change is free, but any future changes will incur a cost.
- Visit social.Xbox.com/changegamertag and sign in with your Microsoft account if you are not already logged in.
- Enter a new gamertag up to twelve characters long, then select “Claim it” to secure it.
- On the Xbox Series X/S or Xbox One, the process is a little different and starts by hitting the “Xbox” button on your controller.
- Inside the menu, move your controller to select “My profile -> Customize Profile,” then select your gamertag.
- Choose the new tag, check its availability, and if you can claim it, select “Change gamertag.”
How to Change Your PlayStation Username
Like Xbox, the first username or online ID change is free with future changes requiring a charge. PlayStation Plus members receive a 50% discount off any future online ID name change charges.
- Through your web browser, head to account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and select “PSN Profile” from the sidebar.
- Click on “Edit” next to your current online ID, enter a new online ID, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the change process.
- You will be required to sign out of all devices and sign back in for the change to take effect.
- On the PlayStation 5, go to “Settings -> Users & Accounts -> Account -> Profile -> Online ID” and create the new online ID. Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the change.
- On the PlayStation 4, go to “Settings -> Account Management -> Account Information -> Profile -> Online ID” and create the new ID. As in the cases above, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the change.
How to Change Your Google Stadia Username
Up until very recently (August 2021), Google Stadia did not let users proactively change their usernames without contacting customer support, but you are now able to change it as a self-service option.
- Select the avatar icon at the top-right corner of your Stadia Home Screen.
- Select “Stadia Settings -> Stadia Name & Avatar -> Change Your Name.”
- Choose your new username/Stadia name, then confirm your choice.
According to Nintendo Support, you cannot change your username once an account has been created. The only way to create a new username is to create an entirely new Nintendo Network ID (username).
According to Snapchat support, it is not possible to change your username. They state it’s for security reasons and add that you cannot transfer any account data to a new account if you create one with a new username.
Unfortunately, once a username is selected for Reddit, it cannot be changed at all, even for capitalization. However, if you do not like your username, you can create as many accounts as you want, something Reddit does not actively discourage.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I have to pay to change my username?
In most cases, changes should be free. However, there are rare exceptions in the case of Xbox, Sony PlayStation and Roblox, where you are charged for changes. Beyond the payment aspect, also consider that some sites limit how often you can change your username as well. Sometimes it’s as many times as you want, and in some cases, once every 30 days.
2. Will a username change impact my posts on social media?
Not at all. However, you are still responsible for informing friends and family of your new username. This is especially true for Facebook, as your page ID name changes along with your username. Instagram, on the other hand, should be visible as long as they are following you. If they are not following you, you would need to inform them of the name change.
As you have seen, in many cases, it’s easy to change your username, although you’re not allowed to in a few cases. Read on to learn how to add, remove, and switch Google accounts on your Android.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox