If you’re constantly spending time on Discord, then knowing how to change your status may come in handy for your interactions on the app. This will allow you to let others know whether you’re at your desk and available to chat or play or whether you’ve stepped out for the moment. There are a few other options, such as displaying the game you’re currently playing. This tutorial walks you through the steps needed to change your status on Discord and discusses all of the possibilities.
How to Change Your Discord Status on PC
To change your status on Discord on your computer, you need to be logged in to your account on the Web or desktop Discord client for Windows/Mac. Proceed by following the below steps.
- Click on your profile picture in the lower-left corner of the display in Discord.
- By default, you’ll be shown as “Online.” If you want to change that, hover your mouse over it, and a menu of alternative options will appear.
- There are three additional options to choose from: “Idle,” “No Dot Disturb” and “Invisible.” Click on either one to change the status.
What Do the Status Options Mean
Idle – if you switch to this status, it will let other people know that you’re away and not available to engage with them.
Do Not Disturb – this status notifies people that you’re currently focusing on something else and do not wish to be disturbed. Selecting this option also automatically mutes notifications.
Invisible – if you don’t want others to know you’re online, you may switch to this status option. You will still have full access to all Discord features.
How to Set a Custom Discord Status on PC
If these preset options aren’t enough for you, know that you can also set a custom status by following the instructions below.
- Click on your profile picture as explained above.
- Press on the “Set Custom Status” option underneath your current status.
- A pop-up window will appear. Type in your custom message in the “What’s Cooking” field. You can use text as well as emoji.
- You’ll need decide how long you want to keep this custom status and whether you also want to appear Online/Idle/DND or Invisible. You’ll get a specific icon underneath your status and on top of your profile picture based on this choice.
- If you wish to get rid of your custom status, click on your profile picture again, then press the “X” button next to the “Edit Custom Status” option.
How to Change Your Discord Status on Mobile
- Tap on your profile picture in the lower-right corner.
- Press on the “Set Status” option at the top.
- Select from the highlighted options.
How to Set a Custom Discord Status on Mobile
- Retrace the first two steps outlined above.
- Select “Set a custom status” at the bottom.
- Input your status and select the time you wish to have it cleared (if ever).
- Unlike on PC, you won’t be able to add a second status indicator like “DND” or “Idle.”
- To remove the custom status, tap your profile pic again and select “Set Status.”
- Hit the “X” next to your custom status at the bottom.
How to Create a Custom Playing Status on Discord
Once you start playing a game, Discord will automatically display this information as a status, which is separate from your regular status. You’ll notice it if you click on your profile picture again.
You should see the “Playing a Game” status with the name of the game you’re playing and the length of time you’ve been doing so.
You can also set a custom playing status on PC (but not on mobile) to let others know what’s going on with you while you’re playing. Follow these steps:
- Click on the cog wheel icon in the lower-left corner of Discord.
- Scroll to the “Activity Settings” section in the menu on the left and select “Registered Games.”
- If you’ve already started playing a game, you should be able to see it listed here in the upper part of the screen.
- To set a custom playing status, you need to click on the “Add it” option below the registered games.
- Click on the “Select” field and choose between the tabs and apps you have opened on your PC. If you have your browser open, for example, you can select “Chrome.”
- Hit the “Add Game” button underneath.
- Your status should now be visible at the top.
- Press on “Google Chrome” and start writing something to customize it.
- Your playing status won’t display the exact game you’re playing but will tell others whatever you want them to know while also letting them know you’re currently playing a game.
How to Control the Privacy of Your Playing Status
If you don’t want your activity status to be shared with others, you can control the privacy of your gaming sessions.
- Click on the cog wheel icon in the lower-left of Discord.
- Scroll to the “Activity Settings” section in the left panel and select “Activity Privacy.”
- Toggle off the option to “Display current activity as a status message” so that no one will know that you’ve started playing unless you tell them. At the same time, you can turn off the option to “Share your activity status by default when joining large servers.”
- Alternatively, you can delete your custom playing statuses by going back to “Registered Games” and clicking on the “X” button that shows up when you hover over a certain custom playing status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you change your status only for select people?
Unfortunately, you can’t do that on Discord. If you change your status to “DND” or “Idle,” it will be seen by everyone who glances at your profile on Discord. You can’t set a specific status for certain servers or channels either. Discord lacks in privacy settings such as these; however, the service may add these options in the future.
Can Discord automatically change the status for you?
If your status was set to “Online,” and you’ve stepped out for a while, leaving the app unattended and running on your PC or mobile, Discord will change your status to “Idle.” Once you decide to terminate your Discord session, the app will automatically show you as Offline (grey icon).
Can you tell the difference between someone who is legitimately "Offline" and someone who is "Invisible"?
It’s not possible. Discord does not offer a “read receipts” option like Facebook or WhatsApp, so even if you message someone whose status features a grey icon, you won’t be able to tell whether they are hiding or offline. Even if Discord has read receipts, they might still choose to ignore your message on purpose if “Invisible.” You’ll just have to wait until they decide on their own accord to reply to you or see your messages.
Image credit: Onur Binay via Unsplash All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox