Uber is an online service that allows you to book a ride service right from your smartphone whenever you want. All you need to do to book a ride is launch the Uber app on your smartphone, enter the pick-up address and the drop-off address, select your ride type, and tap on request to request an Uber ride. If available, an Uber car should be arriving at your specified address in the given timeframe.
While that was about booking an Uber ride on a smartphone, you can now also book a ride with Uber right from your Mac. The company has not made an official app for the Mac to book a ride, but a third-party app helps you accomplish the job. That way you do not need to switch to your smartphone as an Uber ride can be booked right from your Mac.
Here’s how it works.
Booking an Uber Ride from a Mac
The app that you are going to use to book an Uber ride, Fastlane, is a free download on your Mac.
1. Head over to the Fastlane website and download the app.
2. When the app is downloaded, double-click on it to install it. You will be asked to move the app to the “Applications” folder so that the app also becomes available in Launchpad.
3. Launch the Fastlane app from the Launchpad on your Mac.
4. Since the app has been downloaded from the Internet and not the official Mac App Store, you will get the following prompt asking if you would really like to open the app. Click on “Open.”
5. The app will go into the menu bar on the top. To access it, click on its icon in the menu bar, and you will be provided with two options to choose from – either choose to sign in using an existing Uber account or sign up for a new account.
I am going to use the “Sign In” option, as I already have an Uber account.
6. Enter in your login credentials on the following screen and click on “Sign In” to sign in to your Uber account. If this is your personal Mac, you can checkmark the “Remember Me” option so that you do not need to enter your log in details the next time you want to book an Uber.
7. Once you are signed in to your account, you should be able to book a ride.
First, select your car type from the options appearing on the top. Then you need to enter your pick-up address in the first field followed by the destination address in the second field. The app should show you the estimated time of pick-up which should be in a few minutes. You should also be able to see the estimated fare.
When you are done, simply click on the “Request” button in the bottom to request an Uber ride.
An Uber car should soon pick you up from the specified address and drop you at your destination.
If you do not find it convenient to switch to your smartphone from your Mac only to book an Uber ride, the guide above should help you book right from your Mac.