Don’t want to interact with someone on your social media apps? You can simply block them. Blocking a user stops them from communicating with you on that particular app. You will no longer be bothered by their presence or messages. This article details how to block and unblock a user on some of the most popular social media apps including Instagram, Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, Discord, Telegram, and Snapchat.
When you block someone on Instagram, they won’t be able to see your posts, stories, Reels, etc. They will also lose the ability to like, comment, or message you. Basically, your Instagram profile will disappear for them. Additionally, you won’t see their updates and will not be able to message, like, or comment on their activity.
Thankfully, Instagram will not notify the other person that you have blocked them. However, if you don’t want to take such a harsh step, you can restrict a user or mute them. You can also hide your Instagram account and prevent others from finding you.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Instagram for Mobile
- Go to the Instagram profile that you want to block on Android or iPhone. Tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select “Block” from the menu.
- You will get two options: “Block account_name and any new accounts that they will create” and “Block account_name.” The first option will block new accounts created by that person, even if they change their username, while the second blocks just the one account. Select the required option and press the “Block” button.
To view your blocked list and to unblock someone, follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram profile and tap on the three-bar icon. Select Settings.
- Under Settings, go to “Privacy → Blocked accounts.”
- Here you will find all the accounts that you have blocked. Tap on the “Unblock” button next to the person that you want to remove from the blocked list.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Instagram on PC
- To block someone on the computer, open their profile in a browser. Click on the three-dot icon and select “Block this user.”
- To unblock someone using the Instagram website, search for the blocked profile in Instagram or enter their profile URL in the web browser. When the profile opens, click on the “Unblock” button.
When you block a profile on Facebook, the following things will happen to the blocked account. They will be unfriended and won’t be notified that they have been blocked. Additionally, they won’t be able to:
- See your profile or any new updates (posts, stories, etc.) that you publish
- Tag or mention you
- Like or comment
- Send you messages on Facebook Messenger
- Send a friend request
Please note that the above things hold true from your end as well.
How to Block and Unblock Someone in Facebook’s Mobile Apps
To unblock someone on Facebook when using the Android or iPhone app:
- Open the profile you wish to block.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and press the “Block” option.
To unblock someone and to view your Facebook blocked list, follow these steps:
- Tap on the three-bar icon at the top. Scroll down and go to “Settings & privacy → Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Blocking” under the “Audience and Visibility” section.
- In the list of blocked profiles, tap on “Unblock” next to the person you wish to unblock.
If you want to block multiple people, use the “Add to Blocked List” option to find and add people quickly to the blocked list.
Note: you cannot block someone again within 48 hours of unblocking them.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Facebook on PC
- Open the Facebook profile you intend to block.
- Click on the three-dot icon and select “Block.”
If you changed your mind and wish to unblock someone while using Facebook on desktop follow the below steps:
- Open the Facebook website and click on the small downward arrow at the top.
- Select “Settings & privacy → Settings” from the menu.
- Click on “Blocking” in the left sidebar. You will find all the blocked contacts. Click on “Unblock” to remove a user from the list.
- You can also block a profile from here. Just type the person’s name whom you want to block in the text field under the “Block users” section and press the “Block” button.
3. Facebook Messenger
When you block a profile on Facebook Messenger, the blocked contact won’t be able to message or call you. However, they can still interact with you on Facebook. If you’ve blocked them on Facebook as well, they won’t be able to interact with you on either platform.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Messenger for Mobile
- Launch the Messenger mobile app and open the conversation. Tap on the person’s name at the top to reach the chat options screen. Scroll down and tap on the “Block” option.
- Similar to PC, you will be greeted by two options: “Block on Messenger” or “Block on Facebook.” Choose the desired option.
The following steps show how to unblock someone in the Messenger app for mobile.
- In the app, tap on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Privacy → Blocked accounts.”
- Tap on the person you want to unblock.
- Tap on the (-) remove icon next to “Unblock messages and calls.”
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Messenger for PC
- Open Messenger in your browser and head to the conversation with the person you want to block.
- Click on the three-dot icon in the chat to open the chat options.
- Expand the “Privacy and support” section and press the “Block” option.
- A pop-up will show up that gives you two options. You can either block the person on Facebook Messenger only or completely block them on Facebook, which includes both Facebook and Messenger.
If you block a person on Messenger only, they can still interact with you on Facebook. If you choose the “Block on Facebook” option, all the things mentioned under the “What happens when you block someone on Facebook” section will hold true.
When it’s time to unblock someone on Messenger while on your PC, follow the instructions below.
- Open Facebook Messenger and click on the three-dot icon next to the “Compose” button. Select “Preferences” from the menu.
- Click on “Manage blocking.”
- You will reach the Facebook Settings screen. Scroll down to the “Block messages” section to view the blocked list. Click on “Unblock” next to the profile.
When you block a user on WhatsApp, they won’t be able to message or call you. They can’t see your WhatsApp status, last seen, online status, or profile picture. Read our detailed guide on the aftereffects of blocking someone on WhatsApp.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on WhatsApp on Mobile
- Open the WhatsApp conversation and tap on the contact name or number at the top.
- Press the “Block” button at the bottom on the next screen.
Next, let’s look at how you can unblock someone on WhatsApp.
- If you haven’t deleted the chat with the blocked contact, open that chat and tap on the person’s name. Scroll down and tap “Unblock.”
- Alternatively, go to “Settings → Account → Privacy → Blocked.” On Android, tap on the user you want to unblock and press the “Unblock” option.
- On iPhone, swipe left on the contact’s name and select “Unblock.” Alternatively, tap the “Edit” option and press the red minus icon next to the contact.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on WhatsApp on PC
- Launch WhatsApp Web or the desktop app.
- Open the conversation you want to block.
- Click on the person’s name in the top bar. The contact info screen will open in the right sidebar.
- Scroll down and tap on “Block.”
Let’s see how you can unblock someone on WhatsApp on desktop.
- Click on the three-dot icon on the main screen of WhatsApp. Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Go to “Privacy -> Blocked contacts.”
- Click on the “x” icon next to the WhatsApp account you want to unblock.
Tip: use the “Add blocked contact” button to block a contact by adding it directly to this list.
After blocking someone on Telegram, they cannot message or call you. They also lose the ability to add you to groups, see your profile picture, when you’re online, and last seen status.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Telegram on Mobile
- Open the chat in the Telegram app.
- Tap on the name or number at the top.
- Tap on the three-dot icon (Android) and More button (iPhone).
- Select “Block user.”
To unblock someone in Telegram, follow the steps below.
- On Android, tap on the three-bar icon on the Telegram home screen and go to Settings. On iPhone, tap on the Settings tab at the bottom.
- Go to “Privacy & security → Blocked users.”
- To unblock a user on Android, tap on the three-dot icon next to the person’s name and select “Unblock.” On iPhone, you need to swipe left on the contact name and press the “Unblock” button.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Telegram on PC
- Open the chat with the person.
- Click on the three-dot icon.
- Select “Block user” from the menu.
Unblocking is pretty straightforward on Telegram. Follow the steps below:
- In the Telegram app or web version, click on the three-bar icon on the home screen. Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Go to “Privacy and Security → Blocked users.”
- Click on “Unblock” next to the person you’d like to remove from the list..
When you block a user on Discord, the following things will happen:
- The two of you won’t be able to send a message or call each other
- If you block a friend, they will be unfriended
- Their existing and new messages will be hidden inside channels
- The blocked person cannot ping or mention you
Note that no notification is sent when you block someone.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Discord for Mobile
- Open the DM or server with the person you want to block.
- Touch and hold the person’s name in the chat.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and select “Block.”
To view the blocked list on the Discord Android and iPhone apps, follow these steps:
- Tap on the “User Settings” tab at the bottom.
- Go to “My account.”
- Tap on “Blocked users” and press the “Unblock” button next to the blocked contact.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Discord on PC
- Right-click on the person’s name in a DM or server you want to block.
- Choose “Block” from the menu.
Let’s also take a look at how you can unblock someone in the desktop Discord client.
- Click on the Discord tab present in the left sidebar of the Discord app.
- Click on the “Friends” tab. You will see the “Blocked” option at the top.
- Click on it to view your Discord blocked list.
- Click on the Unblock icon next to the blocked person to remove them from the blocked list.
When you block a Twitter account, that person won’t be able to see your tweets or follow or message you. Also, you will be removed from each other’s followers list. Twitter doesn’t inform the person that they have been blocked.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Twitter for Mobile
- In the Twitter Android or iPhone app, open the Twitter profile of the person you wish to block.
- Tap the three-dot icon.
- Select “Block.”
You can also quickly unblock someone on Twitter if you want to.
- Tap on your profile picture icon at the top.
- Select “Settings and privacy” from the menu.
- Go to “Privacy and safety → Mute and block → Blocked accounts.”
- Tap on the “Blocked” button for the person you want to unblock.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Twitter on PC
- Open the Twitter profile you want to block. Click on the three-dot icon.
- Select “Block” from the menu.
When it comes to unblocking someone on Twitter while on your PC, you need to bring the block list up first.
- On the Twitter website, click on “More” from the left sidebar followed by “Settings and privacy.”
- Go to “Privacy & security → Mute and block.”
- Click on “Blocked accounts.”
- You will find all the blocked accounts under the “All” tab. Click on the “Blocked” button next to the user to unblock them.
- Alternatively, open the blocked Twitter profile using the username. Click on the three-dot icon and select “Unblock.” Or, click on the red “Blocked” button.
When you block a user on Snapchat, they cannot send you Snaps or Chats. Also, they won’t be able to view your Snapchat stories. Blocked users will also be unfriended and cannot add you back until you unblock them. Like other platforms, Snapchat will not notify the person when you block them.
How to Block and Unblock Someone on Snapchat for Mobile
- Open the “Chat” screen by swiping right on the home page. Touch and hold the person’s name you want to block.
- Tap on “More” followed by “Block.”
Next, let’s find out how you can unblock someone on Snapchat if you’re using the mobile app.
- Tap on your profile picture at the top followed by the Settings icon.
- Scroll down and tap on “Blocked” to view the Snapchat blocked list. Tap on the “x” icon next to the person to unblock them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does blocking someone on a particular app or their phone number mean they will be blocked on other apps?
No. Blocking a user on one platform doesn’t affect your relationship with them on other platforms. For instance, if you block someone on Twitter, they will not be blocked from your Facebook account. And blocking someone’s phone number only prevents them from calling or messaging you through your cellular network. It doesn’t have any impact on social media apps installed on your phone.
2. When should you block someone?
Since blocking a person restricts all types of communication with them, you should block someone only when you no longer want to interact with them in any capacity. There are less harsher forms of blocking, such as muting someone or removing them from your followers’ list.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox