If you simply don’t like answering unknown calls or wish to break your contact with someone, your iPhone will help you do just that. In the past, blocking a phone number on an iPhone required you to jailbreak your device. However, that’s no longer the case, as the functionality is now built into iOS. Here’s how to block a number on your iPhone.
Before we dive in, a quick note. Blocking a number on an iPhone is possible on devices running iOS 7 and newer. We’ll also mention a feature called “Silence Unknown Callers,” which is only available on devices running iOS 13 or later.
1. Block a Number on iPhone via the Phone App
1. Launch the Phone app on your iPhone and make sure you’re on the “Recents” tab.
2. Find the number you want to block. On the right side of your phone’s screen, you should see the “i” button. Tap on it to reveal additional options.
3. Tap on “Block This Caller.” Your iPhone will ask you to confirm your decision. Once you do so, the selected phone number will be added to your “blocklist.”
Once you have blocked the caller, you may hear a single ring before your iPhone diverts the call to your voicemail. Also, you won’t see the blocked number in your recent calls anymore.
2. Block a Number on iPhone via the Settings App
You can also block a number on iPhone via the Settings app. Keep in mind that you’ll need to have those numbers stored in your Contacts app for this method to work.
1. Launch the Settings app. Scroll down until you see the green Phone icon. Tap on that icon to reveal a list of additional features.
2. Select “Blocked Contacts.” If you haven’t blocked anyone just yet, you should see the option to add a new entry. As you’ll see just below that option, iOS now supports blocking phone numbers, messages, emails, and FaceTime calls.
3. Tap on “Add New,” then scroll through your contacts to pick the number you want to block. Once you do so, your iPhone will start blocking the added number immediately.
3. Block Unknown Callers Only
Finally, there’s a third option as well, letting you silence unknown callers only. This can be a useful feature if you receive a lot of phone calls from marketing agencies or even robocalls. You can put an end to those calls using a recently introduced iOS feature.
1. Launch the Settings app. Scroll down and select “Phone.”
2. Select “Silence Unknown Callers.”
3. Lastly, flip the switch next to “Silence Unknown Callers.” That’s it!
From this moment on, calls from unknown numbers will go straight to your voicemail. In this case, even though you won’t hear your phone ring, you’ll see the unknown call in the “Recents” tab of the Phone app.