If someone is annoying you by frequently calling or messaging, you can avoid them by blocking their phone number. Fortunately, there is no need to install third-party software, as the capability is integrated into both Android and iPhone. Let’s look at how to block a phone number on Android and iOS, as well as the consequences.
- How to Block Someone on iPhone
- How to View All Blocked Numbers on iPhone
- How to Unblock Numbers on iPhone
- How to Block Someone on Android
- How to View All Blocked Numbers on Android
- How to Unblock a Number on Android
- What Happens When You Block Someone on Android or iPhone
- How to Block Unknown Callers on Android
- How to Block Unknown Callers on iPhone
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Block Someone on iPhone
You can block a number on your iPhone in a few different ways as shown below.
1. Block a Number in the Phone App
- Open your device’s Phone app and tap on the “Contacts” tab at the bottom.
- Tap on the contact you want to block. Scroll down and press the “Block this Caller” option.
- To block an unsaved contact in the Phone app, tap on the “Recents” tab and tap the (i) icon next to the number.
- Tap on “Block this caller.” You can also block contacts from the Favorites or Voicemail tab in a similar manner.
2. Block a Number From Settings
- Open your iPhone’s Settings, scroll down on the left, and tap on “Phone.”
- Tap on “Blocked contacts,” followed by the “Add new” option.
- Select the contact to add to the blocked list.
You can also block contacts by going to the Messages, FaceTime, and Mail apps.
3. Block a Number from the Messages App
- Launch the Messages app and open the conversation you want to block.
- Tap on the contact’s name at the top, followed by the “i” icon.
- Again, tap the “Info” button. Scroll down and tap on “Block this caller.”
4. Block a Number from the FaceTime App
- Open the FaceTime app, find the person in question and tap on the “i” icon next to the person’s name.
- Tap on “Block this caller.”
How to View All Blocked Numbers on iPhone
To see all the blocked numbers on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open iPhone Settings, scroll down on the left, and tap on “Phone.” You can go to Messages or FaceTime, too, to view the list of blocked contacts.
- Tap on “Blocked Contacts.” All of the numbers you have blocked will be listed here.
How to Unblock Numbers on iPhone
- Open up the list of “Blocked contacts” as shown above.
- Swipe left on the blocked number and tap the “Unblock option.”
- Alternatively, open the blocked contact in the Phone app and tap the “Unblock this caller” option.
How to Block Someone on Android
On Android, you can block a number from the Phone and Messages apps as shown below.
1. Block a Number on Android from the Phone App
The steps mentioned here are applicable for the Google Phone and Samsung Phone apps. For other phone apps from different manufacturers, the steps should be very similar.
- Launch the default Phone app.
- Tap on the “Contacts” tab and open the contact to block.
- Tap the three-dot icon and select “Block contact” (Samsung) or “Block numbers” (Google Phone). Accept the confirmation when it pops up.
Similarly, you can block unsaved numbers from the “Recents” list in the Phone app.
2. Block a Number on Android from the Messages App
- Launch the Android Messages app and open the required chat thread.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and select Details.
- Tap the “Block and report spam” option.
- Uncheck “Report spam” if you want to block the person without reporting them.
3. Block a Number on Android via Samsung Messages
- In the Samsung Messages app, open the chat thread with the contact you want to block.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and select “Block contact.”
- Accept the confirmation screen that pops up. If you want to delete the message thread as well, select the “Delete conversation” option.
How to View All Blocked Numbers on Android
- Open the default Phone app.
- Tap on the three-dot icon at the top and select Settings from the menu.
- Tap “Blocked numbers” or something similar such as “Call blocking settings.” Here you will find all the numbers you have blocked on your Android phone.
How to Unblock a Number on Android
- Open up the “Blocked numbers” page as explained above.
- To unblock a number on your Android device, tap on the remove (X or -) icon next to the contact that you want to unblock.
What Happens When You Block Someone on Android or iPhone
When you block a number on your iPhone, you won’t receive regular voice calls, FaceTime calls, or messages from them. However, you can still call or message the blocked person. In certain countries, the blocked person can still leave a voicemail, but you won’t receive a notification.
On Android, if a blocked person tries to call you, it will be declined automatically, and their messages won’t be delivered to you.
It is essential to remember that the blocked individual may still contact you via other applications, such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook, and so on, as the block on these platforms is separate from the phone’s block.
How to Block Unknown Callers on Android
On Android, you can block calls from private or unidentified numbers using a native setting in the phone app. Please note that this setting will not block spam calls or numbers that aren’t saved in your contacts. It will only affect unknown callers.
- On your Android phone, open the Phone app.
- Tap on the three-dot icon and go to “Settings.”
- Tap on “Blocked numbers.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Unknown.”
How to Block Unknown Callers on iPhone
Unlike Android, you can use the “Silence unknown callers” feature to silence calls from numbers that aren’t in your contacts list. However, this feature will not silence numbers you have previously interacted with or numbers shared with you via email. Furthermore, if you make an emergency call, the feature will be disabled for 24 hours.
Please keep in mind that this feature does not completely block calls. The calls are simply silenced and routed to voicemail. They will continue to appear in your recent calls list.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app and go to “Phone.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Silence Unknown callers.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Silence unknown callers” on the resulting screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I know if someone has blocked me?
There is no clear method to determine whether someone has blocked you. However, if your call is terminated or goes to voicemail every time you contact the individual, this might indicate that you have been banned.
2. Can I see if a blocked number has tried to contact me?
You will not receive notifications for any calls or messages from the blocked person on either Android or iPhone. In addition, their calls will not appear in the call log.
3. Do blocked messages get delivered when unblocked?
No. Messages sent during the blocked period will not be delivered after unblocking the person.
4. What do blocked callers hear?
Depending on your network, the banned callers will hear different things. In certain situations, they will only hear one ring before being terminated or routed to voicemail. Others are subjected to pre-recorded messages, such as the phone “is not reachable.”
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox