Omegle made a huge splash when it was created back in 2009 with the out-of-the-box idea of pairing strangers from all over the world via chat. A month later, a video conferencing feature was added, making the experience that much more enjoyable. But with the site quickly becoming oversaturated in recent years, many people find themselves looking for other platforms to handle their chatting needs. For that very reason, we’ve put together a list of the top Omegle alternatives.
Similar to Omegle, ChatHub is a completely free anonymous chatting site where you can text or video chat with random people. It’s exceedingly easy to use and requires no registration to get started. There are two types of chatrooms. The Main room is geared toward just having a nice talk with someone, while the Adult room is meant for flirting and the like. There are also some advanced settings that allow you to only match with people whose faces appear in their video or speak to people using only your voice chat.
- Language Filter: you have the ability to filter out potential partners based on the language they speak or the country they’re from. This allows you to express yourself better and find more things in common. Currently, there are only three languages to choose from: English, Spanish, and Arabic, though the list of countries much more impressive.
- Great Mobile Compatibility: despite not having an official mobile app, the ChatHub website is highly compatible with smartphones and tablets, allowing you to text or talk comfortably from the convenience of your mobile device.
- Avoid Multiple Matches: you can toggle this filter to prevent ever matching up with the same user multiple times.
Chatroulette has been around almost as long as Omegle and is certainly one of the simplest chat sites around. Speaking of currency, Chatroulette’s currency system provides you with 30 coins to start with, and you’ll garner 30 more with every minute you spend in chat. You get another 8 if someone chooses you, and you’ll lose 5 every time you search for another user.
- Easy-to-navigate design: the site is incredibly no-nonsense and gets you started right away. It just starts with a quick recap of the currency system, then has you dive right into a chat.
- Simple Currency System: Chatroulette has a very basic currency system in place to weed out trolls and other users who will happily jump from chat to chat. Basically, you earn coins the longer you stick with a chat and spend some when hopping onto a new one.
- Image Recognition Algorithm: this complex piece of code automatically filters out indecent content and flags the person who broadcast it in the first place, making for a friendly platform overall.
LiveMe (Web | Android | iOS) can help you get your video chatting kicks – but from a different perspective. It’s a popular live-streaming social network that allows you to broadcast yourself to millions of users worldwide. It’s much like the immensely popular game-streaming platform Twitch. If you don’t feel like broadcasting yourself, you can always browse the different streamers and interact with them or other people watching the broadcast via chat.
It’s an app-based platform that you can download for free on your mobile device, though you can watch videos on a desktop if you’d like. However, if you want to broadcast, it has to be from your smartphone or tablet.
- Multi-platform Availability: the LiveMe app is available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, and even the Huawei AppGallery as well. No matter what kind of smartphone or tablet you’re using, you’ll be able to broadcast.
- Live Chat and Video Call: you can invite your friends to join you on a video call or chat or even start a group call with up to nine members through the Multi-beam feature.
- Group Creation: you can start groups about a particular topic in the hopes of having like-minded people join you for a fun chat.
- Plenty of Stickers and Filters: you can add fun stickers or change the overall filter of your broadcast or video call, giving you a more personalized and enjoyable experience.
Tinychat (Web | Android | iOS) is an online chat site that allows users to instantly create a room. Here you can can talk to other people via text, voice, or video chat. The room can be about any topic other users will see that will make them want to join in the conversation. It’s a fairly straightforward platform that works just as well on mobile devices as it does on a computer.
Most rooms do not allow guests in, so you’ll want to create an account whether you plan on being a room creator or a joiner. You can also share your room on your social media feeds, like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Virtual Store: here you can purchase a wide variety of gifts for other users and membership upgrades for a month or year.
- Three Membership Tiers: The Pro tier grants you a green nickname highlight, high-quality videos, no ads, and Pro badges. The Extreme tier nets you the same things plus a purple name, Extreme badges, priority listing, and the ability to join more than one room at a time. Finally, the Gold tier gets you all of the above plus a gold nickname and badges and unlimited video viewing in your room.
EmeraldChat has no qualms about being an Omegle alternative. A signup is very much recommended, or you’ll be bombarded with a pop-up reminding you that a temporary account is being detected. EmeraldChat has an intuitive matching system that pairs you with people who share common interests.
- Moderated: the site is constantly moderated and includes a smart point system to ward bots and unsavory users. Aside from moderators, the website features an automated system that enforces regulations when users step out of line.
- Karma System: All users start with zero karma points. They can give others a positive or negative point after every chat. Earn too many negative points, and the system or moderator may end up placing restrictions on your account. Also, giving another user a negative point will force a CAPTCHA on their account, thus stopping bots in their tracks.
CamSurf (Web | Android | iOS) is an excellent substitute for Omegle that’s super user-friendly and boasts an inviting interface. You’re not required to create an account to use the site but will be locked out of some pretty useful options, like filtering the gender of the users you’re matched with. You will, however, be able to filter your country, which is great. With both the mobile and desktop versions being lightweight not taking up many resources, you can use the CamSurf even on dated devices.
- Easy Switching: CamSurf makes it extra simple to move on to the next person to chat with. With a single click, you can exit the currency chat and be paired with another user.
- Fast Servers: the website utilizes premium servers to allow for speed connections and high-quality videos.
Shagle is a stylish chatting platform that instantly connects you to users from around the globe. It’s free and allows you to send and receive images, audio, and video files. You can delete any content you find offensive. You will have to create an account if you want to work the gender filters, but it won’t cost you a thing. If anonymity is what you’re after, then you’ll find that Shagle has a lot to offer. And it’s easy on the eyes to boot.
- Virtual Gifts: Meet someone you like and fancy sending them something to help them remember you? Shagle offers tons of virtual gifts that you can send to the people you chat with.
- Gender Selection: While the majority of chat sites don’t have this feature, this one has a selection for transgenders, just like CamSurf.
- Quick-loading: Some video-chatting sites take a while to load your webcam, but not Shagle. It loads up your video feed in seconds so that you can start chatting with minimal delay.
We’re capping off our list with ChatRandom (Web | Android | iOS). It connects you to random people from all corners of the world. The platform provides a guide on how to chat with strangers, as well as various tips. ChatRandom allows you to choose your gender and type out your interests before jumping in so that the other person knows a little more about you.
- Catchy UI: ChatRandom is very easy on the eyes with its mix of baby blue, dark blue, and white. It’s bright and inviting and includes many helpful messages right from the homepage.
- Masks: don’t want to show your entire face? There are a bunch of fun masks you can switch between to make your video chats more interesting.
Plenty of Options
There’s no doubt that Omegle is an exceptional website for chatting with random people from across the globe, but it definitely isn’t the only one that’s worth looking into. As you can see from this list, there are so many fantastic Omegle alternatives out there that maybe it’s time you gave some of them a go. Heck, you can even try multiple ones at the same time by using your webcam with multiple programs!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox