Google Photos is one of the easiest ways to back up your digital snaps and keep them safe. Thanks to Google’s new Backup and Sync application for computers, you can now back up Google photos to your Windows PC or Mac automatically.
The desktop app for files and photos replaces the previous Drive app for Windows and Mac and syncs to Photos and Drive. This change was brought about because of the growing concerns by users over the confusing connection between Google Drive and Google Photos, so Google made changes to simplify the experience.
New photos and videos from Drive won’t show automatically in Photos, neither will those in Photos be added to the Photos folder in Drive. Moreover, any photos or videos you delete in Drive won’t be removed from Photos and vice versa. This helps prevent accidental deletion as was the case among some users prior to the new arrangement.
Backup and Sync works on any folder, which makes it possible to back up all your files from an SD card, USB drive, or the whole system if you like. It can also act as a redundant backup for files in other cloud storage platforms like OneDrive and Dropbox.
We’re going to show you how to use the new unified app to back up Google photos and download them to your Windows PC or Mac.
Set up Backup and Sync app
Before you download or back up photos to your computer, you first need to set up the Backup and Sync desktop app. To do this:
1. Go to google.com/apps.
2. Click the blue “Backup and Sync” button to download and install the app.
3. Sign in to the Google Account you use for Google Photos.
4. Select “backup only photos or videos” or “all files” and click Next.
5. Choose the folders you want to back up or store the Google photos to.
6. Select “upload size” under “Photo & Video upload size.” You can select either High Quality for a reduced file size at great quality, or Original Quality to keep the original photo’s size and resolution. The latter counts against your Google quota, which for the free version caps at 15GB.
7. Click Start. This will upload files from the selected folder or folders to Google Drive. It may take some time depending on the number of photos you have to upload.
You’re all set. Backup and Sync will now continue to run on your computer, so your files are automatically backed up to Google Drive.
How to download Google photos to your computer
To download photos to your computer, take the following steps:
1. Go to the menu bar in macOS or Application tray in Windows and right-click the Backup and Sync icon (cloud with an arrow).
2. Click the three vertical dots and select Preferences.
3. Select “Google Drive” from the left pane.
4. Click “Sync My Drive To This Computer.”
5. Select “Sync only these folders.” It’ll display a list of folders.
6. Select “Google Photos.”
7. Click OK.
The photos will now start downloading to your desktop on your computer. If you have many large photos, this process can take longer.
You can also download using your browser to a folder location on your desktop.
1. Go to Google Photos.
2. Select a photo or video.
3. Tap the three vertical dots or More menu.
4. Next, tap Download. This option won’t appear if the photo or video is already on your computer.
Were you able to back up and download Google photos to your computer? Tell us in a comment below.