If you have a Windows PC with an active Internet connection and would like to share your connection with your other devices, it is quite easy to do that thanks to the hotspot apps available out there. The following apps let you turn your Windows PC into a WiFi hotspot that people can connect to and enjoy your Internet connection.
In the following roundup we cover four apps from our Software Discovery section that help you transform your PC into a WiFi hotspot.
mHotspot is a completely free software that converts your Windows 7 or 8 laptop into a virtual WiFi router and creates a secure WiFi hotspot.
You can share a single internet connection (LAN, Ethernet, Data-Card, 3G/4G, Wifi) on multiple devices like laptops, iPhones, Android phones, PDAs, iPads etc.
No router or external hardware is required apart from your existing one.
- Connect up to ten devices to the hotspot
- You can set your own hotspot name without any restrictions
- Share any type of Internet Connection (LAN, Ethernet, 3G/4G, Wifi, etc.)
- Android phones, ipads, PDAs, tablets and other devices can access Internet
- Stream videos and shares files with clients
- See the details of the connected device (name, IP address, Mac address)
- See the network usage (upload and download speed, transfer rates)
- Secures your wireless hotspot with WPA2 PSK password security
- Set maximum number of devices that can be connected
- Extends your Wifi range (Acts as a repeater)
- In-app Internet selection
- Works with Windows 7, 8, 10
2. OSToto Hotspot
OSToto Hotspot is a free and professional WiFi hotspot creator tool for your computer. It enables you to build a stable and personal (or public) hotspot without wireless router.
You can freely share your computer Internet connection with all WiFi-enabled devices, like phones, tablets, laptops, etc.
The tool is available for free for Windows PCs.
- Share your network to other computers, iPhone, iPad, Android devices, etc.
- Works as a wireless transmitter/router
- Customize your WiFi sharing with handy features
- Detect network speed at hand
- Easy to use and set up in seconds
MyPublicWiFi is an easy-to-use software that turns your laptop/PC into a WiFi wireless access point. Anyone nearby can surf the Internet through you. This is also an ideal solution for setting up a temporary access point in a hotel room, meeting room, at home or the like.
The MyPublicWiFi Firewall can be used to restrict user access to specific servers. You can also prevent the use of certain Internet services (e.g. file sharing programs). MyPublicWiFi allows you to record and track all visited URLs on your virtual WiFi hotspot.
It’s available for free for Windows PCs.
- Create a WiFi hotspot
- Integrated firewall
- URL logging
- List of connected clients
4. Virtual Router Plus
Virtual Router Plus is a free, open-source software-based router for PCs running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.
Using Virtual Router Plus, users can wirelessly share any Internet connection (WiFi, LAN, cable modem, dial-up, cellular, etc.) with any WiFi device (laptop, smartphone, iPod Touch, iPhone, Android phone, Zune, Netbook, wireless printer, etc.) These devices connect to Virtual Router just like any other access point, and the connection is completely secure using WPA2.
- Works on Windows 8 and Windows 2012
- No installation needed
- Do not start background service so anything is under your control
By using these apps you will be able to share your existing Internet connection with all of your devices, and it eliminates the need of getting a separate Internet connection for your other devices. Be sure to check out our Software Discovery section that has a number of useful apps like these. Let us know what you think about our software list in the comments below.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox