In addition to a being a photo organizer, the Photos app on your Mac also comes with advanced editing features that allow you to retouch your photos the way you want. While the app already has a number of editing options available, some of the settings are not enabled by default.
Here’s how you can the Sharpen, Definition, Noise Reduction, Vignette, White Balance, and Levels effects.
Enabling Extra Adjustment Settings in Photos
1. Launch the Photos app on your Mac.
2. When the app launches, double-click on a photo to enlarge it. Click on the “Edit” button in the top-right corner to access the edit options in the app.
3. When the editing panel opens, find the option labeled “Adjust” in the right-panel, and click on it to see all the available adjustment settings for your photos.
4. When the adjustment options open, you should see a button that says “Add” on the top. Click on it to add some extra settings to the options on the screen.
5. You should now see that some of the adjustment settings are not enabled.
What you need to do here is click on each of the options to enable them.
6. You should now be able to see all of these options available in the right panel for you to use. You can now play around with these options by clicking on them and applying their effects on your photos.
7. If you think you are going to be using these settings for editing photos in the future, you can have them appear by default when you launch the app by clicking on the “Add” button on the top and selecting the option that says “Save as Default”. It will make your current settings the default in the app.
The options that you just enabled are really great as they let you sharpen your photo, reduce the noise even though the photo will suffer from a little blur, change the color tone, change the focus to the center, etc. Use them on your photos for yourself and see what the effects do to your photos.
If you think the Photos app is missing some settings that it should have as a photo editor, those settings are lying behind the app, and the guide above helps you enable them in the app for you to make your photos look awesome.