When setting up a new Android device, most people will usually add their primary Google account as part of the setup process. However, down the road, some of us may want to access additional accounts on the same handset.
Today, many users have at least one business email on top of a personal one. Luckily, Google has made it very easy to switch between them on a single device.
In this article, we demonstrate how you can add and manage multiple Google accounts on your Android handset.
How to Add a Secondary Google Account to Your Phone
There are two ways you can add a new Google account to your device. The first method enables you to have a general view of all the accounts you’ve signed in to on the device.
1. Go to your device’s Settings.
2. Scroll down until you find “Accounts.”
3. Here you can view a list of your accounts. Scroll down to the bottom and tap on the “Add account” option to add a new one.
4. Select the app you want to add a new account to, in this case Google or Personal (for Gmail).
5. Enter the details of the account – your email or phone number and password.
6. That’s it, a new Google account has been added to the Accounts section.
Alternatively, you can add a secondary email address right from the Gmail app on your phone.
1. Open the Gmail app.
2. Tap on your profile icon that’s located in the upper-right side of the display.
3. Select “Add another account.”
4. Choose Google.
5. Sign in with your address and password.
6. The new account has been created, and you can go ahead and access it.
How to Easily Switch Between Google Accounts on Android
Once you’ve added the second account to your phone, it’s super easy to switch between them. Simply fire up Gmail once again and tap on the profile icon and select your other account.
All your email addresses should be listed here so that you can seamlessly get access to them.
In other apps, it’s just as simple. For example, the Google Play Store. Open the app and tap your profile icon in the top right.
Click on the downwards arrow next to your email address and select your secondary account from there.
How to Delete a Google Account from Your Phone
Getting rid of a Gmail account is also quite straightforward. Again, you can go through Settings or do it from the Gmail app.
1. Open Settings on your phone.
2. Go to Accounts.
3. Find the account you want to delete and tap on it.
4. Click on the “Remove account” button.
5. Confirm your selection by tapping on “Remove account” once again.
6. Your Google account has been deleted from your device.
You can also do it by going through the Gmail app where you have to tap on your profile icon again and select the “Manage accounts on your device” option.
Select the account you want to delete, then press on the “Remove account” button and confirm your selection again to fully remove the address from your device.
Be sure that this is what you want to do, though, since the process removes all contacts and information stored on that account. The better alternative would be to keep both and to just switch between your accounts.
Gmail is a powerful tool, and if you want to be able to use it to its full capacity, we recommend reading up on the subject. For example, learn how you can create a Gmail desktop app or how to blacklist IP addresses for Gmail.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox