To have a more inclusive workspace, Slack added the option to add gender pronouns, which you can display on your profile. This allows your colleagues to learn how you wish to be identified. In this guide, we show you how to add Slack pronouns on the Slack web and mobile apps.
What You Need to Know About Slack Pronouns
The Slack pronouns feature is available for both the free and premium versions. Similarly, both free and paid Slack administrators can allow their members to enable pronouns.
Slack will show the added pronouns on your profile alongside your name and job title. However, do note that the Slack pronouns feature is not enabled by default. You will have to manually enable it.
How to Enable Slack Pronouns for Admins
If you are a member of the workspace, then the Admin needs to enable the Slack pronouns feature for you. As a member, you cannot add pronouns to your profile.
1. Open Slack on a web browser and log in with your admin account.
2. Click on the name of the organization on the top left of the screen. Click on “Settings & administration,” then select “Workspace settings.”
3. On the “Settings & Permissions” page under the “Settings” tab, scroll down and click on the “Pronouns Display” option.
4. Simply click on the “Expand” button and select the “Show Pronouns on Profiles” option. Finally, hit the “Save” button.
5. That’s it! You have successfully enabled the pronouns feature for all the members of your workspace. After this, members of the workspace could add pronouns of their choice on their profile without any issues.
How to Add Slack Pronouns on Slack Web Client
This section shows the process of adding the option for a workspace member or Slack user to add Slack pronouns on their profile on the Slack web client.
1. Open the Slack website on your web browser and log in to your account.
2. Click on your profile picture located on the top right portion of your screen and click on the “Edit profile” button.
3. On the “Edit your profile” page, you will find the “Pronouns” field. Here you can add the preferred pronouns you wish to display on your profile. Once you have added the pronouns, click on the “Save” button.
4. Once the pronouns are added and saved, clicking on your profile will show the pronouns and be visible to all your colleagues and workspace members.
How to Add Pronouns on Slack Mobile App
The steps for adding pronouns on the Slack mobile app are a bit different from adding them on the desktop or web client.
1. Open the Slack mobile app and log in with your credentials.
2. Head over to the “You” tab at the bottom bar.
3. You will be redirected to your profile page. Here, click on the “View profile” option.
4. Click on the “Edit profile” button.
5. Under the “Pronouns” field, enter the preferred pronouns you wish to be displayed on your profile and hit the “Save” button on the top right of the screen.
6. The pronouns will be added immediately. You have successfully added your preferred pronouns to your Slack profile.
If the pronouns option is missing on your profile, then the admin of your workspace hasn’t enabled the pronouns option. You can contact your workspace admin to enable this feature and can help them with the guide we have provided above. If you liked this guide, you can also check out our guides on how to fix Slack notifications not working or a complete Slack keyboard shortcuts cheatsheet.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox