To type numbers using the default keyboards on mobile devices, we usually have to hit ?123 (Android) or 123 (iPhone) to switch the layout, and the native iPhone keyboard does not have a number row feature. That’s a bit tedious, especially if you have to type numbers frequently. However, you can solve the problem by adding a number row at the top of popular Android and iPhone keyboards, like Gboard, SwiftKey, Samsung Keyboard, Chrooma, and Fleksy.
- Add Number Row to Gboard on Android
- Add Number Row to Gboard on iPhone
- Add Number Row to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard on Android
- Add Number Row to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard on iPhone
- Add Number Row to Samsung Keyboard
- Add Number Row to Chrooma Keyboard on Android
- Add Number Row to Fleksy Keyboard on Android and iPhone
- Frequently Asked Questions
Add Number Row to Gboard on Android
The Gboard keyboard app comes preinstalled on most Android phones. Follow these steps to add a dedicated number row at the top of Gboard.
- Launch Gboard in any app.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon in the toolbar or hit the three-dot icon and tap on the “Settings” icon to open the Gboard settings.
- Go to “Preferences” and enable the toggle next to “Number row.”
On Android, it’s possible to open any keyboard app’s settings from the phone’s settings via “Settings → System → Languages & input → On-screen keyboard → Name of keyboard.”
Add Number Row to Gboard on iPhone
On iPhones, Gboard doesn’t offer a standalone number row. However, the number row is baked into the top row of the alphabet keys. You just need to long-press the relevant key in the top row to enter a number.
While the number row is active by default, if you can’t see numbers in the top row for some reason, follow these steps to make them visible again:
- Launch the Gboard app on your iPhone.
- Go to “Keyboard settings” and make sure the toggle next to “Show number row” is enabled.
Add Number Row to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard on Android
- Launch the SwiftKey keyboard and tap on the three-dot icon in the toolbar.
- Press the “Settings” icon n the icon panel that shows up to open the SwiftKey settings.
- Go to “Layout & keys.”
- Enable the toggle for “Number row.”
Add Number Row to Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard on iPhone
- Open the SwiftKey app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Settings” and enable the toggle next to “Number Row.”
Add Number Row to Samsung Keyboard
- To open the Samsung Keyboard settings, first tap on the three-dot icon in the keyboard’s toolbar, then select “Settings.”
- Go to “Layout.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Number keys.”
The number row should now be visible. On a side note, did you know that you can also change the color of a Samsung keyboard?
Add Number Row to Chrooma Keyboard on Android
- Open the Chrooma Keyboard app.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the keyboard’s toolbar and press the “Settings” icon in the icon toolbar that appears.
- Tap on the second “Settings” button in the icon grid to view the keyboard settings.
- Make sure you are in the “Skins” tab and tap on “Layout basic.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Action Row” and tap on “Configure Action Row.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Number row” on the next screen. Keep it at the top by holding the two-bar icon next to “Number row” and dragging it to the top. Enable or disable other rows as needed.
- Open the Chrooma keyboard in an app and swipe right or left on the dedicated number row to see other action rows.
Add Number Row to Fleksy Keyboard on Android and iPhone
- Tap on “Number Row” and hit the “Add” button in the pop-up that appears. The dedicated number row should now be active.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I change the default keyboard on Android?
Go to “Settings → General Management → Keyboard list and default → Default keyboard” on Samsung Galaxy phones and select the new default keyboard.
Tap on the keyboard icon in the navigation bar on stock Android phones and choose a new default keyboard.
How can I change the default iPhone keyboard on iOS?
If you want to replace Apple’s keyboard with a third-party keyboard app, first, go to “Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards.” Tap on the “Edit” button at the top. Using the three-bar icon, drag the keyboard you want as the default to the top of the list. Use this method to replace the active default option at any time.
How can I switch between keyboards while typing on Android and iOS?
On Android, tap on the keyboard icon in the navigation bar and select the input method. On an iPhone, touch and hold the Globe icon and choose a new keyboard from the list.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox