As we step into the fall season, Instagram is getting a new update which will mainly affect businesses, brands and influencers. The app is retiring the swipe-up link feature in Stories and replacing it with a new link sticker. This post looks at how you can add links to your own Stories, even with the swipe-up option out of the picture.
What Are Swipe-Up Instagram Links?
Swipe-up links used to be a popular feature mostly used by brands and influencers to reach their audiences and attract more followers to their accounts. It allowed them to quickly add links to their Stories, enabling viewers to easily access them.
However, late last month Instagram started sending notifications to users alerting them that the feature will become obsolete. Instead, the social app now lets folks add their links through a sticker, which can be found in the Sticker gallery.
Swipe-up links used to be reserved for accounts that had more than 10,000 followers or were verified, and this limitation extends to the new option.
How to Add a Link to Your Instagram Story Using Stickers
As mentioned above, the new link sticker option is only available for accounts with at least 10,000 followers or verified ones. If this describes you, follow the instructions below to learn how to add a link:
1. In the Instagram app, swipe left to upload or snap a quick photo or shoot a video.
2. Tap on the Sticker button in the upper-right corner of the display.
3. You should see the new Link sticker next to the Poll one. Tap to add it to your story.
4. Paste your link, and you are done.
The process is pretty straightforward, but not everyone has that many followers. Fortunately, there’s a workaround which allows basically anyone to add a link to their Instagram Story.
How to Add a Link to Your Instagram Story When You Don’t Have 10K Followers
Whether you’re on a personal or professional account, follow these steps to add a link in your Stories. The link sticker may eventually be released for all users, but until then you can try this solution.
1. Go to your Profile in the Instagram app.
2. Tap on the “+” button in the upper-right corner of the display.
3. Select IGTV from the options that pops up.
4. Choose a video that’s at least 60 seconds long.
5. The app will ask you to type in a title. It should be something like “See the Link.”
6. Paste the link you want people to access in the description field of the video.
7. Post the video to IGTV by tapping the blue button at the bottom.
8. Once it shows up in your feed, tap on the paper airplane icon underneath.
9. Select the “Add video to your Story” option. When in Story mode, you may want to add a call to action to encourage users to swipe up to discover your link.
10. Click on the link icon at the top of the display.
11. Select the “+IGTV Video” option.
12. Tap on the checkmark in the upper right.
That’s it! Now when people view your Story, they will have the option to swipe up and tap to view the video. From there they can tap on the link which is shown at the bottom.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to use a video in your Instagram Story, not just a snapshot from the clip you used, you incorporate the video with link by following the instructions below.
1. Create the Story.
2. Tap on the Link button at the top.
3. Select the +IGTV option.
4. Add the video you’ve uploaded to IGTV and hit the checkmark.
5. Now when others view your Instagram Story, they will be able to swipe up to view your video and the link at the top of the display.
Add a Link to Your Instagram Bio
You can add a link to your bio, then add a “Link in bio” sticker to your Story to invite viewers to visit your profile and access the link from there. This method is widely used today and available for normal and business accounts. Here’s how you can edit your bio and add a link.
1. Open the Instagram app to view your feed.
2. Tap on your profile picture in the lower right.
3. Tap on the “Edit Profile” button at the top.
4. Use the Website field to paste in the web address you want people to click.
5. Alternatively, add it in the Bio section.
Post the Link Through DMs
Another alternative is to send the links to your followers through DMs. This takes a bit more time, but on the bright side of things, it will allow you to build a more personal relationship with your followers.
Simply create a story, and where you invite your followers to send you a DM, you can easily use the pre-made DM stickers that are available in the Sticker section.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have 10K Instagram followers (or a verified account). Why can I still not see the Instagram link sticker?
It may take a while before the option is implemented for all, as the news that swipe-up links are being dropped is very recent. It can depend on whether you’re using iOS or Android as well, so give it a bit of time. Make sure your app is up to date while you wait.
2. When will the Instagram link sticker option be available for normal accounts?
Instagram’s head of product Vishal Shah has gone on record to say the option was being evaluated for a wider rollout. Back in June, the social app started testing these stickers with various users (on iOS), not just people who enjoyed swip-up privileges. At this time, however, we don’t have a clear timeline of when, if ever, the feature will reach the wide majority of users.
3. Will using the “Link in Bio” phrase in my Instagram Stories hurt engagement?
The answer is no; it’s safe to use. There are several pre-made stickers waiting for you in the Sticker library, so you can tap into that as well.
Now that you know how to add a link to your Instagram story, perhaps you’d like to continue discovering additional Instagram tricks. If that’s the case, check out how you can add music to your Story and how to send disappearing photos and videos through the app.