Instagram now lets users easily add links to their Stories via stickers. The feature replaces the swipe-up link option in Stories and is now available for everyone using the app. Here you’ll learn the few easy steps of adding links to your Instagram Stories.
What Are the New Link Stickers?
Swipe-up links used to be a popular feature mostly used by brands and influencers to reach their audiences and attract more followers to their accounts. It allowed them to quickly add links to their Stories, enabling viewers to easily access them.
However, earlier this fall, Instagram started sending notifications to users alerting them that the feature would become obsolete. The social app introduced a new feature that allows folks to add links through a sticker, which can be found in the Sticker gallery.
Swipe-up links used to be reserved for accounts that had more than 10,000 followers or were verified and initially extended to the new option. However, Instagram recently changed the rules and is now offering the link sticker option to everyone.
How to Add a Link to Your Instagram Story Using Stickers
The sticker link option no longer limited, Instagram has extended the availability of the feature to all accounts. Follow the instructions below to learn how to add a link:
- In the Instagram app, swipe left to upload or snap a quick photo or shoot a video.
- Tap on the Sticker button in the upper-right corner of the display.
- You should see the new Link sticker next to the Donation one. Tap to add it to your story.
- Paste your link and tap “Done.”
- You can tap the link to change the text color and background, but you don’t have too many options right now. Once you’re satisfied with how the story looks, tap the “Your Story” button at the bottom.
When you’re followers view your story, they can simply tap the link and the “Visit Link” option to be taken straight to the website you shared.
Alternate Way to Add a Link to Your Story
If for some reason you don’t want to use the Link sticker, or you don’t see it in your app, you can use this workaround to add a link to your Story.
- Go to your Profile in the Instagram app.
- Tap on the “+” button in the upper-right corner of the display.
- Select IGTV from the options that pop up.
- Choose a video that’s at least 60 seconds long.
- The app will ask you to add a title. It should be something like “See the Link.”
- Paste the link you want people to access in the description field of the video.
- Post the video to IGTV by tapping the blue button at the bottom.
- Once it shows up in your feed, tap on the paper airplane icon underneath.
- Select the “Add video to your Story” option. When in Story mode, you may want to add a call to action to encourage users to swipe up to discover your link.
- Click on the link icon at the top of the display.
- Select the “+IGTV Video” option.
- Tap on the checkmark in the upper right.
That’s it! Now when people view your Story, they will have the option to swipe up and tap to view the video. From there, they can tap on the link that is shown at the bottom.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to use a video in your Instagram Story, not just a snapshot from the clip you used, you incorporate the video with the link by following the instructions below.
- Create the Story.
- Tap on the Link button at the top.
- Select the +IGTV option.
- Add the video you’ve uploaded to IGTV and hit the checkmark.
- Now when others view your Instagram Story, they will be able to swipe up to view your video and the link at the top of the display.
Add a Link to Your Instagram Bio
You can add a link to your bio, then add a “Link in bio” sticker to your Story to invite viewers to visit your profile and access the link from there. This method is widely used today and available for normal and business accounts. Here’s how you can edit your bio and add a link.
- Open the Instagram app to view your feed.
- Tap on your profile picture in the lower right.
- Tap on the “Edit Profile” button at the top.
- Use the Website field to paste in the Web address you want people to click.
- Alternatively, add it in the Bio section.
Post the Link Through DMs
Another alternative is to send the links to your followers through DMs. This takes a bit more time, but on the bright side of things, it will allow you to build a more personal relationship with your followers.
Simply create a story, and where you invite your followers to send you a DM, you can easily use the pre-made DM stickers that are available in the Sticker section.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have a normal account and can’t see the sticker link option. What now?
It may take a while before the option is implemented for all, as Instagram has expanded the availability of the feature very recently. It can depend on whether you’re using iOS or Android as well, so give it a bit of time. Make sure your app is up to date while you wait.
2. Can I customize the sticker?
Not really, no. You can tap on the link before posting the story and change the color of the font and background, but the options are quite limited at the moment. Fortunately, Instagram mentioned it is working on adding ways to customize the sticker so it will be clear what will be seen when the link is tapped.
3. Will using the “Link in Bio” phrase in my Instagram Stories hurt engagement?
The answer is no; it’s safe to use. There are several pre-made stickers waiting for you in the Sticker library, so you can tap into that as well.
Now that you know how to add a link to your Instagram story, perhaps you’d like to continue discovering additional Instagram tricks. If that’s the case, check out how you can add music to your Story and how to send disappearing photos and videos through the app.