“I’d like my e-books to have different vibrant book covers in my e-library.” This was my dilemma when I started downloading digital books from Amazon, iBookstore and third-party websites. Though I still buy printed versions, practically speaking, digital content is cheaper and less spacious (literally!).
If you’re an avid reader just like me and would like to update your e-books with beautiful book covers, whether they are in PDF, EPUB, or MOBI formats, here’s a step-by-step guide to add a book cover in Calibre.
Calibre is free open-source e-books management software, which is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. It’s quite a bit overwhelming for first-time users to navigate it with all the buttons, options and menu tabs, but once you get used to it, it’ll make your e-books management easier.
Installing Calibre to your PC/laptop
Adding a book cover to a PDF/EPUB/MOBI via Automatic Download
1. Drag the cursor to the “Add Books” button on the upper left side of the menu bar.
2. Choose the e-book you would like to edit or add a new book cover to.
Note: You may search via Google and other search engines to check the different book cover designs – the ideal size is 300×400. Take note that these images are subjected to copyright.
3. The e-book that you selected is shown in the library. (e.g. “Letters to a Young Poet” – it’s really a great book for writers). On the right side, you’ll see the information about the e-book such as Authors, Formats, and Path (of the file). Right click the e-book and select “Edit metadata –> Download metadata and covers”
4. You will see this pop-up box below; select “Download only covers.”
5. Another pop-up box tells you the download is complete. Click “Yes” to update the library; you’ll see the book cover.
However, there might be an instance when Calibre can’t find a cover. Try it again for the second time, but if the library doesn’t show a cover or you prefer a different cover design, you may upload one from your drive manually.
Uploading a cover manually
Assuming you have downloaded your desired book cover design, here are the next steps:
1. Right click the e-book in the library and select “Edit metadata -> Edit metadata individually.”
2. Once you see the pop-up box on your screen, click “Browse.”
3. After choosing the desired image, simply click “OK”
Don’t forget this last step to make sure the cover is included in the e-book: CONVERT. The changes will take effect when you convert your e-book.
Click the “Convert books” button; you can select the same output format (e.g. EPUB) or convert it to another. Then click “OK.”
This is just one of Calibre’s features to help you manage your e-books. For now, enjoy your collections and feel free to share this post with your friends who love e-books.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox