Reddit is home to the internet’s anonymous discussions on a variety of topics and interests. With the cloak of anonymity given by Reddit, users are free to say whatever they want, which isn’t always a good thing.
When a post or comment goes against a subreddit’s rules, they’re deleted using bots or human moderators. Reddit users also have the option to delete their own posts and comments. But are those deleted items gone for ever? What if you’re curious to read a deleted post or comment on Reddit? You can, with the help of certain websites and browser extensions, which we discuss here.
Unddit is the successor to Removeddit. According to the website, it retrieves content from Pushshift.io, which stores Reddit comments in a database. It’s the same database Reveddit fetches comments from.
Unddit can show all bot-, mod-, and user-deleted comments. Deleted comments shown in a red box were deleted by bots or mods, and comments in a blue box were deleted by users.
Here’s how to view deleted comments using Unddit:
- Go to Unddit.
- Drag the red “Unddit” bookmarklet to the bookmarks bar.
- Go to the Reddit post containing the deleted comments that you want to view and click on the “Unddit” bookmarklet.
- On the archived page, you can view deleted comments that were archived.
Reveddit allows tracking and viewing of deleted Reddit posts and comments. However, it can only show content deleted by bots and mods, and not user-deleted content. Users can also install Reveddit’s browser extension called “reveddit real-time” to get notifications when their content is removed.
Here’s how to view deleted posts and comments using Reveddit:
- Go to Reveddit.
- Copy the relevant username, subreddit, or post link, paste it in the designated field, and click “go.”
- Scroll through the archived page to view comments. Reveddit tells users whether bots or mods deleted them.
- If the comment was deleted before Reveddit’s archival, click on the blue “Restore” button to look for it. Users can click multiple times until the content appears.
3. Wayback Machine
Wayback Machine saves copies of web pages. It’s a simple tool that also lets users view deleted Reddit posts and comments if they were up long enough for Wayback Machine to archive them.
- Go to Wayback Machine.
- Copy the Reddit post URL with the content to retrieve.
- Paste it into the Wayback Machine search bar and click on the “Browse History” button or press the Enter key.
- The results page will show how many times the web page was saved and when. Make sure to select older dates to find deleted content.
- Clicking on any of the dates will lead you to a saved version of the Reddit post for that day.
Resavr is the least powerful tool on this list. It’s not as strong as Unddit or the others because it only allows users to view deleted Reddit comments, not posts. This website is only recommended when you’ve exhausted the first three means and failed to find what you’re looking for.
The only advantage Resavr has is its “Recent Comments” section for the most recently deleted Reddit comments. It’s useful if you’re casually browsing for such comments.
Here’s how to view deleted comments with Resavr:
- Go to Resavr.
- Use the search bar to type keywords related to the deleted comment and click the search button or hit the Enter key.
- Skim through the results page to find the deleted comment.
- Clicking on any of the links should lead to a page with the full contents of the deleted comment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is such archiving of Reddit content legal?
All archived posts and comments, whether deleted or not, were made publicly available by people who wrote them. That means they were put up for public consumption, which was known to the user, and archived by databases these tools fetch content from.
Simply put, this kind of archiving of Reddit content is legal. As long it was legally obtained by these tools, there shouldn’t be any legal implications with viewing deleted Reddit posts and comments.
However, if an individual were to use deleted content to defame or blackmail another person, legal implications may arise.
Can you "undelete" or restore your deleted posts and comments?
You can’t “undelete” Reddit posts and comments that you deleted yourself because Reddit doesn’t have a restore option. You can only view their archived versions using the tools mentioned above.
How can you delete your own Reddit data securely to keep it inaccessible from archiving tools?
According to the people behind Unddit and Reveddit, if a user wants archived content they authored removed, they should contact and request deletion from Pushshift.io, an external service they use to fetch archived Reddit content.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to prevent your individual Reddit posts and comments from being archived. Archiving depends on the moderators of each subreddit. They can either choose to archive or unarchive all posts and not individual posts within the subreddit.
Image credit: Brett Jordan on Unsplash
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox