Dropbox is one of the best file sync and file sharing application available till date. The program supports multiple platforms and thus can be used to sync files, folders and documents from Windows, Linux, MAC computers and also from various mobile devices.
If you are new to Dropbox and haven’t tried it yet, we suggest you read our earlier article on how to make the most out of Dropbox.
Dropbox gives 2 gigabytes of free space to all users which is sufficient if you want to sync only a few folders between multiple computers. However, the 2 GB limit is not enough if you want to sync or backup a large collection of music albums, MP3’s, video files etc.
In this article, we will learn some tricks to increase Dropbox storage space and how you can use referral sign-ups to get up to 8GB of Dropbox storage space, all for free.
Get 250 MB Dropbox Storage Upgrade By Completing the Dropbox Tour
Not many users know that Dropbox gives a free 250 MB storage upgrade to all users if you just complete the Dropbox tour by logging in to your Dropbox account. There is no need to wait for the referral sign-ups to complete, all you have to do is log into your Dropbox account and carry out the following steps:
1. Go to the “Get Started” tab and complete the steps of the introductory Dropbox tour.
2. Install the Dropbox client on your computer, you can skip this if the client is already installed on any one of your systems.
3. Put some files in your “My Dropbox” Folder.
4. Share a folder with your friends or colleagues.
5. Invite some friends to try out Dropbox for free.
When you have completed all of the above steps, you will get a bonus 250 MB of added storage space in your Dropbox account.
To check whether the bonus storage space has been added or not, simply go to dropbox.com/account and check the amount of space allotted to you.
Get 768 MB of Free Dropbox Space By Connecting Your Social Networking Accounts
Dropbox has recently introduced a social sharing concept where you get a whooping 768 MB of added Dropbox space by simply connecting your social networking account’s with Dropbox. It works like this – for every completed action you get 128 MB of added space, you can always choose to complete only specific actions or choose to complete all of them.
Here are the steps that needs to be done:
1. Login to your Dropbox account and go to Dropbox.com/free.
2. There are 6 actions available, completing each of the action will earn you 128 MB of free storage space. These actions are:
- Connect your Twitter account with Dropbox – 128 MB
- Connect your Facebook account with Dropbox – 128 MB
- Follow @Dropbox on Twitter – 128 MB
- Give some feedback why you love Dropbox – 128 MB
- Post the feedback message to your Facebook profile – 128 MB
- Post the feedback message as a tweet to your Twitter profile – 128 MB
When you are done connecting all your social account’s with Dropbox and have sent the small feedback message, your account will be upgraded with 768 MB of added Dropbox space. Great !
Earn up to 8GB of Dropbox Space By Referring Friends
Dropbox has a nice referral scheme which lets you earn up to 8GB of added Dropbox space by referring anyone to sign up for Dropbox. It works like this – you grab the referring link from your account’s referral section at dropbox.com/referrals. Then you can send this link to your friends and followers via email, IM or post the link on social networking websites like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and so on.
When your friends click the referring link and sign up for Dropbox, both you and your friend get a 250 MB storage bonus. This is a win-win situation for both parties and you should use your referring link to invite more friends to sign up for Dropbox.
The best thing regarding Dropbox referrals is that you can invite your email contacts from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or AOL email address and send automatic email invites directly from your Dropbox account. There is no need to copy paste the referring link in every email message.
Do you know any other way to earn some free Dropbox space ? Share your tips in the comments section.
Note: Please do not include any Dropbox referral link in the comments. They will be deleted immediately.
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox